What's new

Opinions on open comb razors?

I usually use a 39c slant, but I've been curious about open comb razors. I've got a Gillette new, and an old style but I've never used them. Any opinions on how well the open comb razors work and what the difference is?

I usually use a 39c slant, but I've been curious about open comb razors. I've got a Gillette new, and an old style but I've never used them. Any opinions on how well the open comb razors work and what the difference is?

The New comes in 2 variation one with longer teeth, and one with shorter teeth that are bent down to give more blade exposure, I think the consensus is the New's are more aggressive of shavers than the olds.

I posted a similar question awhile back here

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The open comb will work a bit differently than the 39C. Different in a way to pick up the lather. The blade will pickup the lather instead of the safety bar. I like the NEW better than a close comb. If my angle is incorrect, I will be able to see the teeth marks with the later.

Otherwise, the aggressivity comes back to the blade gap/angle. I love my NEW but I am thinking of trying an Old type at the moment to know the difference...

I picked the NEW in the first place because I wanted something that was easy to work with. Some razor heads are more difficult to align and you need to do a bird-eye view to do a manual adjustment (correct blade exposure).

Compared to a Slant, I would say the Slant is more aggressive than the NEW. However, if I compare open combs, Mulhe Pinsel R89 (old model - open comb) now, that one was aggressive. As aggressive as a Slant if not more!

I have been using a couple of Old and New Styles pretty consistently of late and I find them aggressive and requiring more attention (like a Schick Injector) to operate comfortably. On the other hand, the combination of open-comb and good blades makes shaping and detailing sideburns, mustaches, goatees, etc. MUCH easier and more effective. Since I have all of the above I like that part.

They look really cool, too. Especially in gold.

I'll have to pull out my New and give it a shot tomorrow. I think I have the one with the bent down teeth. I've also got facial hair, so if it makes trimming easier, that could be a big plus..

I have found that an open comb is much better for taking off heavy growth.
The lather stays right against the part that is getting shaved, and it can move away from the edge better.

However, if I compare open combs, Mulhe Pinsel R89 (old model - open comb) now, that one was aggressive. As aggressive as a Slant if not more!

+1 to that! The R89 ended up being slightly too aggressive for me. It gives a very close shave but you have to pay attention at all times or it will bite you.

Top Bottom