Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Brush: Ever Ready 200
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Tabac
Balm: Tabac
Aftershave: Bootleggers Perfecto

IMG_2878.jpeg

OCtober 31st

First, thanks to @thombrogan for hosting this event! I always enjoy using my OCs. Finished out with the Ikon B1 Standard OC. Great razor that provided a great shave. This was shave 6 on the Perma-Sharp and it was giving up on the ATG pass. All in all, it was a great month of shaves and I really enjoyed all the pics and humor during the month. Thanks to all.
ikon shot.jpg

Well I feel and see the finish line.....
Penultimate shave w OC Oct 23 (face)....head maybe later when it warms up a bit....
Razor: some mini travel OC German razor, no clue about name (it shaves very nicely).
Blade: Gillette Plat #6
Cream: Trader Joes Mango-Honey
AS Fine Platinum....
2+ pass shave, close and smooth despite it being cold, I did use hot water.
Good shave, blade might be done.....
IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0415.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
With props to our congenial host @thombrogan, a bonus shave for OCtober.

IMG_0780[1].JPG

SOTD: Tuesday October 31, 2023/OCtober 11th
Razor: PAA El Fantasma
Blade: Dorco Prime (3)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Peppermint Trip

So there I was, sittin' on the Group W bench...

Actually, I was just a tad bored. That does not happen often with me! I was reflecting that I'm kind of between things at the moment. Gardens are done, harvest is in, this afternoon I'll chain up the last wheel on the tractor so I'll be ready for snow (which we may get tomorrow). I generally go on a baking jag about now, and I can feel that coming, but in this moment I was not entirely booked up. :) So, like William Gibson's character Milgrim, with free time I can have a shave. Also not something that happens often, as I tend not to like to shave after I've started the day. You night shavers bother me. I'm lookin' at you.

But, well, I have this El Fantasma. Actually I have three of them; this is just the one I use. An extremely faithful copy of the Fasan Double Slant, in durable ABS plastic. Ordinarily far too light for me, also ordinarily a pretty mild shaver. I have the tools to make it faster and better than before but this morning I wanted to re-evaluate the baseline of the razor as it sprang from the mind of its designer. I periodically go back and reset things just to see if they still need to be fooled with.

In the end, I had a pretty good shave. Most of you know -- because I keep harping on it :001_rolle that I haven't put much time into developing my touch with very light razors. Give me a massive chunk of metal and a gravity-powered shave! It seemed like a good time to practice a little. I reckon my technique is solid enough that I can branch out and play with it. So no shim and the original handle; a true OG razor experience. Old Guy? Ocean Grown? Original Gangsta? Whatever.

I've also been noting this month the excellent work being done by the likes of @Clouds and @Tanuki with respect to locking handles. A comment by John that one might profitably set up the original "ElF" handle that way was the proximate cause of my baseline shave this morning; next stop the hardware store to find an appropriate 10-32 screw to do so. That will allow for some cautious investigation of opening up the razor a little.

An interesting little investigation. "No 30" as we used to say in journalism; more to come, in other words.

O.H.

Last night's fine shave:

Razor: Leresche
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia synthetic

I think this is the second time out for this Leresche this OCtober. It's pretty light weight, and a big contrast with my previous shave (Razorock Old Type head on a heavy Col. Conk handle). The Sagrada Familia is a nice little synthetic, and it lathered the Stirling soap really well.

2023-10-30 20.44.24-1.jpg

SOTD OCTOBER 31st
OCTOBER 2023 GRUME
TABACTOBER 2023
OCtober 2023

Hello friends

On this last day of the month, I say goodbye to Tabactober 2023, OCtober 2023 and October 2023 GRUME full of style, with Tabac, Omega Pro 48, FOCS and Gillette Silver Blue (3). Thank you all very much for these 31 days of indescribable pleasure.

With us, the stupendous Dexter Gordon.

Rating: 10

Have a nice evening and great shaves.
❤️🪒

22376FE1-103E-4B52-9529-D5075CD2C3C6.jpeg
IMG_2804.jpeg

Gillette New Deluxe
Rapira Swedish Supersteel

Last shave of OCtober and what a great shave it was. Smooth enough that you don't really think it's cutting close enough, but you can hear the drastic difference in the second pass. Very minor touch ups and ends in a perfect close shave. This really is a fantastic razor.

Happy Halloween, and thank you @thombrogan for organizing and for everyone showing off their gear. Love the pics.

20231031_193806.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
OCtober/Halloween/Shaver Of Sharks

Tonight’s stupendous shave
RazoRock JAWS 0.84 on PAA el Fantasma Naranja handle
Shark Platinum (1)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Beehive Titanium UHD 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: shea butter oil several hours earlier then Al’s new (old) lathering method
Lather: Wickham’s 1912 Club Cola bowl-loaded, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post shave warm shower
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

Fresh blade on the last shave of OCtober. Whiskers dissolved in its path. Maybe I should’ve pushed on with the used blade to keep the last shave of the month going.

Thank you, everyone, for playing along with the OC goodness of this month. Hoping everyone had lots of fun.

Will see many of you in the NOCvember event hosted by @Guido75 soon.

Happy Halloween!

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
OCtober

Razor: Merkur 15C
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Omega Silvertip Black
Soap: Aqua di Parma
ASL: Atomic Age Bay Rum
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

20231031_152238.jpg

I decided to break out my Merkur 15C for Halloween and my last open comb shave of OCtober.
I wanted a mild shave and that is exactly what I got. The 15C quietly goes about it's job with just enough blade feel to let you know it is cutting.

I'm starting out shaving my soul patch, around my lips, chin and down the center of my neck N-S, then proceeding to shave the rest of my neck S-N in a diagonal stroke because that is the way my hair grows.

Next I shaved my face S-N, lathered up again and proceeded to shave all of the wonderful AdP off my face and neck from N-S.

The Witch hazel felt fairly slick, the Atomic Age Bay Rum, let's say gave me a slow even burn that felt warm all over, cooled off nicely with the Nivea balm.

Huge thanks to @thombrogan for hosting this event and Happy Halloween!

Have some Scary Shaves

~doug~

(Final) OCtober 2023 SOTD
1939-RFB-Gy_2023-10-31.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band 20/44
Soap: LEA Classic
Razor: 1939 Gillette NEW RFB on custom olive wood handle
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (11)
ASL: LEA Classic

A superb shave. :biggrin:
My previous top OC razor (before my Grail Blackbird OC happened) certainly didn't disappoint. :w00t:

A BIG THANK YOU to Thom (@thombrogan) for hosting this year's OCtober. It's been great fun, and I've loved seeing all the great pics (thanks guys :thumbup1:).

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Last edited:
I had to post a correction. I have, multiple times, referred to my Ikon OC as a "standard". It is in fact a B1 OC Deluxe not a Standard. I suppose, like last year, as I was using the B1 Deluxe I was thinking about November 1st when I will bring out the Ikon B1 Standard (lame excuse).
Go give this guy some of the advice he's requested on the B1 OC Deluxe!

Top Bottom