What's new

4th or 5th Safety Razor Shave/1st Open Comb Shave - Awesome!

shave1.jpeg
shave2.jpeg

just wanted to post my setup/experience from my 4th or 5th ever safety razor shave! i opted for my 1st open comb razor this time, the fatip piccolo special edition. this was also my first time trying an erbe solingen blade.

i had about 3 or 4 days of growth, my hair is coarse, and the erbe seemed to struggle with that a bit on the first pass. once i got through the first pass, it really started to perform wonderfully. to me, it is a very mild blade, even in comparison to the green astra i tried previously.

i almost felt like the open comb was easier to use than a closed comb - not a single nick and 0 razor burn. it seemed to perform better for me as well. i really enjoyed this shave! i think i may be an open comb convert after this one. i really love this razor. i would say for other new folks out there, using this makes me wish i would have never even bothered with the cheaper fendrihan razor in the first place. spending a bit extra definitely seems to be worth it. the only thing i'll say is that it could probably benefit from a weightier handle, at least for my preference. turns out i do like the shorter length of the handle though. i have seen mixed reviews of this razor, and it could just be that i am not experienced enough at this point to be as picky as some, but to me it seems nice and works great so far.

the fendrihan brush gets the job done just fine, it almost makes me wonder if a more expensive brush is really necessary when you aren't a barber shaving a ton of faces per day. what are some more experienced shavers thoughts on nicer brushes? just nice to have or actually game changing?

PS - is cella cream usually super dense or do i just need to warm the tube up first? its really difficult to get it out of there. works great though.

Cella bio cream is great but absurdly difficult to get out of a tube. Too thick and dense. I cut mine open and put it in a container with a lid, and loaded with a brush.

Proraso has a cream in a tube and a soap in a tub, which are the same except for water content (more water in the tube so you can get it out easy).

I assumed Cella bio tube would have a similar arrangement, but... not really! It's about the same consistency and water levels in tube and tub, which makes the tub the best format.

I assumed Cella bio tube would have a similar arrangement, but... not really! It's about the same consistency and water levels in tube and tub, which makes the tub the best format.
good to know this is expected behavior. kinda makes one wonder why bother with offering a tube version in the first place :crazy:

also as an update re: my comment on brushes in case any other fairly new folks care - curiosity got the best of me and i have a simpson trafalgar t3 on the way. ill report back as to whether or not i feel it was worth the extra expense in comparison to my cheap brush.

You may want to check out this thread for next month. There will be lots of OC's opinions, ideas, and tips 😃.

Somebody gave me a Trafalgar and I thought it was the best synthetic I've tried. But I'm a boar guy. Frankly brushes are not game changers unless a person is irritated by a brush, or really enjoys the particular feel of a brush.

Lathering is a process to soften your stubble, not a product. Heat and moisture are key. The longer you can keep the lather on before you start shaving, the easier your shave. Type of brush has little to do with that.

Somebody gave me a Trafalgar and I thought it was the best synthetic I've tried. But I'm a boar guy. Frankly brushes are not game changers unless a person is irritated by a brush, or really enjoys the particular feel of a brush.

Lathering is a process to soften your stubble, not a product. Heat and moisture are key. The longer you can keep the lather on before you start shaving, the easier your shave. Type of brush has little to do with that.
well said. i ended up getting the trafalgar t3 and i love it.

im not opposed to trying boar or badger if its a vintage one but am not really keen to create demand for current production ones. and i definitely dont mean that in a judgmental way at all, just not for me.

id really like to add a brush with a longer handle to my stash at some point. i think i will grab a knot and handle and put it together myself.

i also wish i knew what happened to my tanuki statue...

well said. i ended up getting the trafalgar t3 and i love it.

im not opposed to trying boar or badger if its a vintage one but am not really keen to create demand for current production ones. and i definitely dont mean that in a judgmental way at all, just not for me.

id really like to add a brush with a longer handle to my stash at some point. i think i will grab a knot and handle and put it together myself.

i also wish i knew what happened to my tanuki statue...
At least Boar bristles are an industry byproduct that wouldn’t be used otherwise so here you can have a clear consciousness. Badgers are farmed so this is a different story.

Top Bottom