What's new

Kayaking the back country

The Boundary Waters in Minnesota is an amazing canoe/kayaking area if you're looking for areas to go in the future. It's way up on the Canadian border tho, so it might be a bit of a trip.

For necessary supplies...

- Multiple ways to start a fire (Good ol' disposable lighters are awesome, most work even when wet. Steel wool is light/compact, and makes good tinder.)

- Toilet paper (pine cones hurt)

- Extra socks, or shoes that dry FAST while wearing

- Map, compass

- Someone on the outside world who has been notified of your return date and knows what to do if you don't show up

- Peanut butter

I think you've picked an absolutely beautiful area to explore and am, quite frankly, insanely jealous of your plans! Add to the good advice herein and standard camping equipment list some bug spray, the appropriate drybags or buckets, and a bag to hang up your food and toiletries in a nearby tree each night (the tent bag may do) and you'll be in great shape. Enjoy!

The Boundary Waters in Minnesota is an amazing canoe/kayaking area if you're looking for areas to go in the future. It's way up on the Canadian border tho, so it might be a bit of a trip.

For necessary supplies...

- Multiple ways to start a fire (Good ol' disposable lighters are awesome, most work even when wet. Steel wool is light/compact, and makes good tinder.)

- Toilet paper (pine cones hurt)

- Extra socks, or shoes that dry FAST while wearing

- Map, compass

- Someone on the outside world who has been notified of your return date and knows what to do if you don't show up

- Peanut butter

This trip is a test run in a fairly safe location. If it goes well, I want to try the Boundary Waters next year.

This trip is a test run in a fairly safe location. If it goes well, I want to try the Boundary Waters next year.

You can do like I did and make the Boundary Waters your test run location. It worked so well for me that I've been back several times since! I've seen a lot of kayaks there, although the canoe is the king of that region. And the reason is because of the portages. Kayaks aren't built for dumping loaded backpacks into, rather you have to stuff your gear into the bow and stern compartments. It's a lot simpler to grab the packs when it's time to portage, and portage you will in the BWCAW.

You can do like I did and make the Boundary Waters your test run location. It worked so well for me that I've been back several times since! I've seen a lot of kayaks there, although the canoe is the king of that region. And the reason is because of the portages. Kayaks aren't built for dumping loaded backpacks into, rather you have to stuff your gear into the bow and stern compartments. It's a lot simpler to grab the packs when it's time to portage, and portage you will in the BWCAW.

I have a canoe, but my wife does a lot better in a kayak for some reason.

We called for some information on the area yesterday and I hope to order a topo map today, perhaps. I was studying to brush up on my navigation skills last night. I learned a lot about knots on the fire department, but will refresh myself. I have to get a small camp stove because all we have is a big two burner. I suppose food might be next to plan.

Our trip is going to be at the end of June. I was wodering if anybody in the area could tell me what the weather and bugs are like at that time of year.

Our trip is going to be at the end of June. I was wodering if anybody in the area could tell me what the weather and bugs are like at that time of year.

Hot, humid and numerous. Seriously. Sunscreen, bug spray, and keeping moving on the water should keep you quite comfy, though, until the heat of the day passes.

And yet I remain jealous... You'll have a great time! :smile:

Do kyaks and canoes need a tag of any sort in Kentucky. Indiana used to require one only on motorized vessels. A couple of years ago they changed it to all watercraft. We tried to ask somebody at the Corp. of Engineers, but she didn't seem to understand what we were talking about. Therefore, I am dubious of her advice.

Do kyaks and canoes need a tag of any sort in Kentucky. Indiana used to require one only on motorized vessels. A couple of years ago they changed it to all watercraft. We tried to ask somebody at the Corp. of Engineers, but she didn't seem to understand what we were talking about. Therefore, I am dubious of her advice.

Good question. The answer is no, registration of non-motorized watercraft isn't required. http://fw.ky.gov/boatingfaq.asp

I kayaked for about a year and a half. I picked the kayak because they present less freeboard to be effected by the wind and a double ended paddle causes you to likely balance your efforts for fitness.

I switched to a canoe because for camping, I can haul much more gear, take my dog and/or wife along. I have found that though it is moved around more by the wind, you can learn techniques to deal with it. The additional space is much appreciated. Too, I like the traditional lines of a canoe. If I wanted to paddle in rough big water, i would still select a kayak. For the back water lake and deep river paddling, tripping and camping that i do, the Canoe is my choice. happy paddling.

also check out www.songofthepaddle.com

Last edited:
I kayaked for about a year and a half. I picked the kayak because they present less freeboard to be effected by the wind and a double ended paddle causes your to likely balance your efforts for fitness.

I switched to a canoe because for camping, I can haul much more gear, take my dog and/or wife along. I have found that though it is moved around more by the wind, you can learn techniques to deal with it. The additional space is much appreciated. Too, I like the traditional lines of a canoe. If I wanted to paddle in rough big water, i would still select a kayak. For the back water lake and deep river paddling, tripping and camping that i do, the Canoe is my choice. happy paddling.

also check out www.songofthepaddle.com

I feel the same way about the canoe, myself. I am thinking about taking both the kayaks and canoe. I thought I could use the canoe to haul gear and tow my kayak to the site. Then for paddling around during the day, I could use the kayak. The problem is figuring out how to get all three vessels down there.

Great site, thanks. :w00t:

My wife and I laughed at the comment about taking the dog or wife. I know you said and/or, but it seemed funny to us. :lol:

and a bag to hang up your food and toiletries in a nearby tree each night (the tent bag may do)

Not a good idea in bear country. What can happen is that the tent bag can pick up the scent of the food and pass it along to the tent. You don't want to sleep in a tent that smells like food. The food pack should be it's own pack for that reason.

I kayaked for about a year and a half. I picked the kayak because they present less freeboard to be effected by the wind and a double ended paddle causes your to likely balance your efforts for fitness.

I prefer to use a 16 or 16.5 foot long solo canoe and a double ended paddle. With that I have great control, plenty of cargo space, and a seat.

If a kayak style is preferred, then you may want to consider what a friend of mine uses for canoe trips, the Vagabond. It hauls a lot, handles great, and can take rough treatment.

Have fun. I'll have your new avatar ready when you return.
proxy.php
See... now that's funny

proxy.php

Not a good idea in bear country. What can happen is that the tent bag can pick up the scent of the food and pass it along to the tent. You don't want to sleep in a tent that smells like food. The food pack should be it's own pack for that reason.

Good call!

Top Bottom