What's new

Groom and Clean Results/Reviews/Availability

Hey guys is it really true they are discontinuing it?? I keep finding it at Walgreens and most grocery stores. The more I use this product the more I like it, makes my hair feel really groomed and washes out easily. I just recently cut off my pompadour and went for a classic style like Don Draper on AMC series Madmen, this product really produces this look well and has a really nice wet shine to it. Is everybody still finding it out there, trying to decide whether to stock up on it. What does everyone think of it??

There are plenty of tubes at the CVS I frequent. I love this product more than gel, Brylcreem, or hair tonic. I slick my hair back and then brush through; it gives my hair a healthy shine, thickness, and smells great.

I wear my hair in the classic 1940s style. I shave the sides and back to show scalp then taper up and keep the top quite long. I have a strict side part on top from deep on the side. I get the sides and back shaved every two weeks to keep the look "fresh" and disciplined. The classic hair dressings are the only products that I have found to accurately support this look. They were designed to keep mens hair well groomed and side parted or slicked back. They don't work for modern "spiky/messy" styles.

Of these classic products Groom & Clean is my hands down favorite and gives the best results. I think it is the "wettest" looking and washes out the easiest. If you want a review I have given one in the review section under skin, body & hair care.

I wasn't happy when I read that it was discontinued so I stocked up on a bunch of tubes. However, I still find it everywhere locally so my approach is to buy a new tube at the store when I finish a tube and leave my stockpile untouched for the future when I can't find it anymore...if this ever happens.

Yeah I agree with your review it is spot on. It is the best product hands down for that well slicked look. The smell is the only thing I wish would fade faster. Sometimes my girlfriend complains alot about it. I usually use about 2 quarter sized dollups and get a really deep shine, unfortunately the smell lingers all day, I have had people comment on it occasionally.

Yeah I agree with your review it is spot on. It is the best product hands down for that well slicked look. The smell is the only thing I wish would fade faster. Sometimes my girlfriend complains alot about it. I usually use about 2 quarter sized dollups and get a really deep shine, unfortunately the smell lingers all day, I have had people comment on it occasionally.

SlickMike, I love the smell of Groom & Clean. It is potent, but I don't put as much in my hair as you do, I squeeze only an inch onto my palm. I have found a good way of achieving the same results without using so much Groom & Clean is to combine it with another product...I also put a small splash of Vitalis on before the Groom & Clean and this is why I don't have to use so much. You could combine Groom & Clean with any product that you think would compliment its effects.

The Vitalis and G&C combo gives me what I classify as a traditional barbershop scent that I like a lot and enjoy catching occasional whiffs of throughout the day. I have never had anyone comment on it before. My girlfriend loves the smell of it, but then again she likes classic smells over modern. I wear Tabac cologne and she is beyond addicted to that scent. She can't smell my hair even when she is close to my face, she has to put her nose physically next to my hair to be able to detect a scent.

SlickMike, I love the smell of Groom & Clean. It is potent, but I don't put as much in my hair as you do, I squeeze only an inch onto my palm. I have found a good way of achieving the same results without using so much Groom & Clean is to combine it with another product...I also put a small splash of Vitalis on before the Groom & Clean and this is why I don't have to use so much. You could combine Groom & Clean with any product that you think would compliment its effects.

The Vitalis and G&C combo gives me what I classify as a traditional barbershop scent that I like a lot and enjoy catching occasional whiffs of throughout the day. I have never had anyone comment on it before. My girlfriend loves the smell of it, but then again she likes classic smells over modern. I wear Tabac cologne and she is beyond addicted to that scent. She can't smell my hair even when she is close to my face, she has to put her nose physically next to my hair to be able to detect a scent.

Appreciate the advice Augustiner, I will pick up some Vitalis or I believe I have some Lucky Tiger 3 purpose tonic I can mix with it, will see if that cuts the scent a bit. They both have their own distinctive scents and I'm sure that will have an effect.

I'm in the process of growing my hair out (from a preppy JFK cut to a pony tail), and am approaching a really awkward length. Groom and Clean has really helped to keep my pin-straight hair manageable, combed away from my face. I may start mixing it with some gel for a bit more control, although I'm not crazy about having a stiff hair "helmet". But until I can tie it back, G&C is a great help. I too wish the smell would fade. It's nice, but lingers too long.

I love the stuff. I'm trying to nail down the scent. WHAT IS IT? Is it uniquely G&C or am I feeling nosetalgic?

Does any other product smell like it, because if I could get that smell in a bottle that would just make me so. Very. Happy.

It's the scent of those "dutch windmill"-shaped cookies. I don't remember what they're called. That or a freshly-opened Hostess apple pie.

I like Groom and Clean as well, when I'm not using murray's or layrite.

If they are officially discontinuing it, I will be stocking up a little, but not sure how long that would even last.

My pomp has gone ungroomed for a few weeks now, and I use G&C to keep my longish hair from getting too unruly. I'm a Layrite guy normally, but a nickel sized dollup of G&C in damp hair after showering keeps me fresh and under control all day.

Well, considering that this thread started in APRIL 2009, almost two years ago, and there stuff's still on the shelves, I doubt it's been discontinued. I see it everywhere. Rejoice!

Well, considering that this thread started in APRIL 2009, almost two years ago, and there stuff's still on the shelves, I doubt it's been discontinued. I see it everywhere. Rejoice!

Good eyes!

haha! Had me fooled, I didn't bother to look. Saw a thread with few posts.

I love this stuff as well. Been using it for years and nothing works quite as well. Glad to know that the rumor was not true. I wonder how it got started?

This stuff flies off the grocery store shelves so I can't imagine Suave discontinuing it. It seems like it's quite the cash cow for them.

Chris

Yep, it flys off the shelves at the store I go to as well. In fact I ran out yesterday and had to go to the store without it in my hair. What i like most about it is it gives my hair a deep rich shine and makes it look just as slick as any grease product, but with out the grease. The only down side is I did get caught in a downpour last year and it was not an enjoyable experience to have it run down into my eyes- I guess thats the exchange for wanting a product that washes out easily

My newest tube got made by Suave in the bottom back corner of the tube.

It is $3 bucks and change vs almost $8.00 for little dab will do ya stuff.

Groom and Clean works great. But the scent is a killer for me. Strange, I've liked the much-maligned Tabac SS from first sniff, but the Groom and Clean scent is so strong and relentless that it overwhelms my aftershave and cologne. Glad others have much better luck with it ...

Groom and Clean works great. But the scent is a killer for me. Strange, I've liked the much-maligned Tabac SS from first sniff, but the Groom and Clean scent is so strong and relentless that it overwhelms my aftershave and cologne. Glad others have much better luck with it ...
Sorry to hear the scent is a killer for ya, I used to not like it either and now I mixin some Vitalis with it and works for me, I've tried switching but this stuff makes my hair shine so much darker it's addicting

Top Bottom