What's new

Planters Fasciitis

Evenin!

Dealt with this several years ago training for an event. Golf ball trick was mentioned earlier in the thread, but really worked for me.

And?? After your five miler survey says?

Pretty good. It took a lot less time for it to loosen up this morning. I'm still feeling it a bit right now, 11 hrs later, but the insoles themselves did not introduce a new element of pain or discomfort. I was a bit worried about that.

Pretty good. It took a lot less time for it to loosen up this morning. I'm still feeling it a bit right now, 11 hrs later, but the insoles themselves did not introduce a new element of pain or discomfort. I was a bit worried about that.

Great! I'm convinced of the positive effect of SF on stabilizing the foot for a more balanced foot strike vs over/under pronating. That said, you'll need to get over your injury to truly see that but I'm glad run 1 went well.

Is you PF a possible overuse injury from your many days of non-stop running?

I had it. As explained to me, the foot curls slightly when you are asleep. The facia begins to heal. Then you wake up, get up, and retear it.

I had to sleep for weeks in a metal boot that basically kept my foot flat while I slept so it wouldn't retear the next morning.

Great! I'm convinced of the positive effect of SF on stabilizing the foot for a more balanced foot strike vs over/under pronating. That said, you'll need to get over your injury to truly see that but I'm glad run 1 went well.

Is you PF a possible overuse injury from your many days of non-stop running?

No, I got it before the streak. I took a trip to London a few months ago and walked everywhere. I got sore feet from all of the walking, and it hasn't been normal since.

I've got the same problem from unusually high arches and years of running in off-the-shelf running shoes. Luckily my insurance covered a podiatrist and custom insoles. They've helped but I'm still very aware of the pain in my feet most of the time and I've just about had to give up running.

Thanks for the advice on the boots for sleeping in. I'm going to go see my doc and ask why he never mentioned those as an option.

No, I got it before the streak. I took a trip to London a few months ago and walked everywhere. I got sore feet from all of the walking, and it hasn't been normal since.

Wow...and you went on your running tear with PF?!? New nickname is the Iron Horse!

Wow...and you went on your running tear with PF?!? New nickname is the Iron Horse!

Pinhead or moron could be just as applicable.

Well, I had just gotten to the point where I had to do something about my fitness and health, so I did it. I'm lucky to have not ended up with tendinitis, shin splints, runner's knee or some other overuse injury. Instead, I shed a bunch of fat, developed a habit and feel 1000% better. My feet are no worse than when I started. I got lucky. :blushing:

Well, I had just gotten to the point where I had to do something about my fitness and health, so I did it. I'm lucky to have not ended up with tendinitis, shin splints, runner's knee or some other overuse injury. Instead, I shed a bunch of fat, developed a habit and feel 1000% better. My feet are no worse than when I started. I got lucky. :blushing:

Running is fantastic exercise but can be hard on the body, especially an older body. I finally listened to my doctor and I stopped running for the sake of my back, and now my knee. I bike and swim now, but mostly bike. Great exercise, no impact. A good bike costs a lot more than a pair of running shoes (and you will need good cycling shoes as well - they will be especially important with your plantar tendons). A bike ride, road or mountain, is even more fun than running. I do miss running, but I am thankful I can still ride ;-)

Damn skippy! I'd be hobbling but hey...congrats!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This was a huge problem for me and tried any and all ways to get comfort. A complete cure came for me in a simple but common sense remedy. Every morning I took time and stretched out my calves and Achilles' tendon. I would just hang my heals off of the fireplace hearth. Before bed was the most benefit. Within a few days the pain was cut in half. Now it is completely gone other than a few twinges.

I have it too. It flared up badly about 18 months ago. I went to a physiotherapist on the recommendation of my MD.

The PT's treatment worked well. He also told me to change my shoes to better more supportive shoes. I wear very supportive hiking boots and will get new ones after 18 months or so. In the summer...New Balance and in the winter...Merrell. Both boots have their own orthotics.

I have really good orthotics in the shoes.

The PT also told me that because of our hardwood floors in our house...my feet have taken a real pounding, as I generally wore just loose slippers or socks at homes. This was a no- no.

He told me to get supportive sandals and to ensure I walk around...at all times...in the house....with the supportive sandals on.

The brand of sandals , I use are TEVA.

I've followed his instructions to a tee and my feet have been fine since.

I've started using small wooden balls to roll around on the soles came heels of my feet in order to increase blood flow to the area. I was hobbling a bit last night before I did it, and got a nice tingling feeling in my feet that felt a heck of a lot better.

Wife fills and empty 20oz. soda bottle with water and freezes it. After a hard day she puts it between her foot and the floor and rolls it around to massage and chill her foot. She has PT, and Cerebral Palsy.

She is also from Missouri and speaks like Mrs. Donovan. But those are really my problems...:lol:

I've started using small wooden balls to roll around on the soles came heels of my feet in order to increase blood flow to the area. I was hobbling a bit last night before I did it, and got a nice tingling feeling in my feet that felt a heck of a lot better.

After a run or at night before bed?

After a run or at night before bed?

Right before bed. When I got up this morning, my feet were noticeably less stiff. The irony is that I gave the wooden balls to my wife last winter when she had PF, and she's been bugging me to use them for a couple of months.

I had it pretty bad in both feet. Custom, cushioned arch supports, rolling the frozen water bottle around, wearing Crocs around the house instead of going barefoot and cortisone shots helped. Losing 40lbs really made a difference, though. Every now and then, I'll get a twinge from it, but for the most part it is much improved. If I can knuckle down and drop another 20lbs, I expect it to go completely away.

Top Bottom