What's new

Scotch v Cognac

Scotch v Cognac

• Scotch

• Cognac

Results are only viewable after voting.
For me, I'll take the scotch. Even some cheaper ones taste better than overpriced cognacs. Johnny Walker Black as a benchmark blows most cognacs at 2-5 times the price. Scotch for me has more complex flavours which can linger on the pallette that cognacs don't really have.

So what would you drink?

I made a poll if you care to vote.

Last edited:
Different drinks for different times.

I'd have a hard time just picking one - for me, I tend to drink scotch before dinner and cognac/brandy/armagnac after.

Both have their place. And of course very different spirits. Cognac is made of grapes and scotch with barley and water. I drink more single malt than cognac. If I could only have 1 spirit to enjoy the rest of my life I would be perfectly content with Highland Park 18 yo.:smile:

For me, I'll take the scotch. Even some cheaper ones taste better than overpriced cognacs. Johnny Walker Black as a benchmark blows most cognacs at 2-5 times the price. Scotch for me has more complex flavours which can linger on the pallette that cognacs don't really have.

So what would you drink?

Johnny Walker Black isn't that bad, but it's still a mild blend. If you really want to appreciate scotch whisky you could try single malts.

I like malts with lots of flavour. For example some of my favourites: Bowmore 12/18yrs, Highland Park 12/18yrs and Laphroaig 10yrs.

I like them both, but I seem to favor cognac during the colder months here in the frozen north (which seems like most of the time).

I'd have a hard time just picking one - for me, I tend to drink scotch before dinner and cognac/brandy/armagnac after.

+1, well said. I voted Scotch because I had to "pick one" but this is how I see it as well.

Johnny Walker Black isn't that bad, but it's still a mild blend. If you really want to appreciate scotch whisky you could try single malts.

I like malts with lots of flavour. For example some of my favourites: Bowmore 12/18yrs, Highland Park 12/18yrs and Laphroaig 10yrs.

hi oxi, i've drunk and been drunk on many a scotch and cognacs, just using jwb as a reference.

i like cognacs too, don't get me wrong, but the one's i like cost way too much, so if i gotta choose, overall i prefer a scotch all things considered.

Tough question. It really depends on my mood.

I voted cognac, since that's what I had last night (Remy Martin VSOP).

I'm more of a scotch guy. If someone offers me cognac I will drink it and appreciate it, but I buy scotch for myself, even to take with cigars (mmm, cigar malt)

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

Just add Talisker and Lagavulin to this list, and it is complete!!

So what would you drink?

Scotch, especially a nice single malt. And Bruichladdich has released their new distillate!!! :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Courvoisier is my drink when I have Cognac. Otherwise Bourbon is the one I drink more often. Unfortunatly, I am not a bit fan of Scotch. I guess I would need to find the right one...

+1

I really enjoy a Cognac after dinner (or a port or madiera). Scotch I like right when I clock out of the office and need a belt. Also like it as a pre-dinner cocktail.

As for Cognac, if you want a reasonably priced XO, I'd recommend Delamain. I think it is far superior to Hennesey's and Remy's XOs.

Top Bottom