What's new

Out of shape Fatboy??

I was very happy to find my grandfather's 1959 Fatboy in a box of old stuff and couldn't wait to shave with it. Everything looked fine but it just felt very odd to shave with...of course I threw in a new blade (Derby) but it felt like one side shaved ok and the other side was terrible. When I looked closely at the head, on one side the blade was riding high above the safety bar but the other side was actually touching (resting on) the safety bar. Tried another blade and same thing. Pretty much unusable. Do old razors become twisted or warped?? Is it fixable? Could post pics if necessary though it is quite difficult to see. :confused:

If you are lucky it is something to do with the adjusting mechanism and can be gently worked back into place. Open the doors and twist the adjustment knob and see what happens inside the head. That should tell you something.

I was very happy to find my grandfather's 1959 Fatboy in a box of old stuff and couldn't wait to shave with it. Everything looked fine but it just felt very odd to shave with...of course I threw in a new blade (Derby) but it felt like one side shaved ok and the other side was terrible. When I looked closely at the head, on one side the blade was riding high above the safety bar but the other side was actually touching (resting on) the safety bar. Tried another blade and same thing. Pretty much unusable. Do old razors become twisted or warped?? Is it fixable? Could post pics if necessary though it is quite difficult to see. :confused:

The safety bars are bent. It is fixable. Apply pressure to parts of the safety bar that need bending back. Use the edge of a counter or something similar.

Top Bottom