What's new

Alden Shoe Refurbishment Program

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Anyone have any experience sending their Alden shoes back to the company for refurbishment? I have the plastic bag with the shipping label they provide but am a bit hesitant to send them in.

Has anyone used this program via mail and if so, how was the experience? I am thinking of finding a brick and mortar store that sells Aldens and maybe go through them.

Thanks.

I've found that the program tends to be more expensive than it needs to be. I've paid 1/3 the price and had equal results by bringing my shoes to a local cobbler.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So both of you gents have utilized the program and your local cobbler and conclude that there is no appreciable difference? All that stuff about putting the shoes on the same last is alot of hullabaloo?

I don't have experience with Alden but I have used Cole Haan and I must say that for $80, my shoes looked better than the day I bought them. Absolutely increadible.

Last edited:
So both of you gents have utilized the program and your local cobbler and conclude that there is no appreciable difference? All that stuff about putting the shoes on the same last is alot of hullabaloo?

I have used Johnston Murphy refurb service. They came back looking like new but I was not sure they were worth the price until I had a local cobbler refurb my Salvatore Ferragamos. My Ferragamos cost twice as much as the Johnston Murphys so I had some trepidations about having them refurbed. They came back like new but at 1/2 the cost.

Anyone have any experience sending their Alden shoes back to the company for refurbishment? I have the plastic bag with the shipping label they provide but am a bit hesitant to send them in.

Yes, twice. Once through the S.F. Store, once through the mail. Both times the shoes came back good as new with the original style sole. Work was excellent.

My cousins are all cobblers, they have resoled my Aldens as well. The only issue they ran into is that they cannot sometimes get the exact same sole that Alden would use. That would be the only issue if you were trying to have a set of all-weather walkers resoled, for example. Personally, I prefer Alden's service for their synthetic soled shoes. Not an issue if you are resoling a leather soled shoe.

Last edited:

I live all of 10 minutes away from Mothership Allen Edmonds. I've used their service and those of a local cobbler. The local cobbler charges me $25 to recondition my shoes from top to bottom. He uses the exact same material that Allen Edmonds uses. Allen Edmonds charges almost $100.

My shoes look exactly the same regardless.

I just got a pair of long wings back from Alden's restoration in Middleborough Mass. I was really excited about this and it met all my expetations. I regularly polish and shine my shoes but what these folks do is incredible. I bought a pair at a thrift shop for around 10 U.S. dollars sent it to Alden and got back a 500 dollar pair of shoes. While the restoration price might be steep ($145 as of August 6, 2009), the pagentry and thrill of opening the box was what I only could imagine open a Rolex box would be like. It came with two perfect cedar shoe horns, a pair of perfect felt bags with a brass pull knob and my brand new to me Aldens. Just incredible! :001_tongu I have a pair of Mephisto loafers, more comfortable than a pair of Nikes, I picked up in a similar manor, anywhere else I can have such a similar pleasurable experience??

Mine were not Dress shoes exactly. more of a casual jeans type shoe, slip on with tassels.(Aldens) I sent them in after receiving a kit in the mail from Alden along with a quote. These had been my favorite shoes for a number of years and really didn't know about the refurb program until after buying another similar pair. They were very worn, rough to say the least.
They came back as new! There service is outstanding. I would highly recommend there program.

I just got a pair of long wings back from Alden's restoration in Middleborough Mass. I was really excited about this and it met all my expetations. I regularly polish and shine my shoes but what these folks do is incredible. I bought a pair at a thrift shop for around 10 U.S. dollars sent it to Alden and got back a 500 dollar pair of shoes. While the restoration price might be steep ($145 as of August 6, 2009), the pagentry and thrill of opening the box was what I only could imagine open a Rolex box would be like. It came with two perfect cedar shoe horns, a pair of perfect felt bags with a brass pull knob and my brand new to me Aldens. Just incredible! :001_tongu I have a pair of Mephisto loafers, more comfortable than a pair of Nikes, I picked up in a similar manor, anywhere else I can have such a similar pleasurable experience??

Sending a pair off today (12-8-2014) and the restoration cost is now $169.00

I have used them several times over the last 40 years. Expensive yes but they made the shoe & I would rather them do the work as all the ones I own are still going strong. Last time I bought a new pair was in the 80s so if you take care of them , they will last a lifetime.

Alden refurb is excellent but pricy, B. Nelson is comparable. If you're ever in NYC Lucy's on 23rd Street off of 5 Avenue does excellent refurbs at great prices.

Top Bottom