What's new

Polishing Razors -How Frequently

Mass Polish does wonders to restore the luster to a dull safety razor. However, I was wondering if it is safe to polish with Mass on a regular basis (e.g., once a month). I am worried that this may cause plating loss over time. Your thoughts?

I think it partly depends on your polishing technique. I bought a couple of beaters to play around with and using a Dremel, with buffing head and Flitz, they come out very nice. However, I think anytime you wax or polishing metal you are removing paint, laquer, plating, to some degree. Buffing it with a cloth, by hand, might reduce that amount, but I think at some point you will find primer, or bare metal.

Mass Polish does wonders to restore the luster to a dull safety razor. However, I was wondering if it is safe to polish with Mass on a regular basis (e.g., once a month). I am worried that this may cause plating loss over time. Your thoughts?

Once a month is probably cool. That's about what I do, and I haven't experienced any plating loss in a couple years. You'll find that in general, older razors that've been used lose plating over time -- it seems unavoidable. But as long as you're not using something that's particularly harsh, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think Maas is often used on things that are far more expensive and delicate than safety razors anyway.

PS: Love your sig quote, but I get the feeling someone else probably said something similar to that before Hawk did. Either way, I prefer his gem, "you can put it on the boarrrrrrrd.... YES!!!" :wink:

[QUOTE PS: Love your sig quote, but I get the feeling someone else probably said something similar to that before Hawk did. Either way, I prefer his gem, "you can put it on the boarrrrrrrd.... YES!!!" :wink:[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I would guess that someone probably did coin the phrase before Hawk but...he says it all the time. I'm giving the Hawk credit for pure repetition. Go Sox! :biggrin:

My favorite baseball related quote belongs to Tom Paciorek. Every time someone broke a bat he would say, "it's hard to find a good piece of ash these days".

Never. I never polish any razors except brass razors like the GEM or stainless steel razors like the LUX or Pal injector.

Polish a razor with any polish and you'll wear through the plating. All polishes are at least somewhat abrasive.

Never. I never polish any razors except brass razors like the GEM or stainless steel razors like the LUX or Pal injector.

Polish a razor with any polish and you'll wear through the plating. All polishes are at least somewhat abrasive.

That is my fear.

That is my fear.

I should have said "eventually" You will eventually, sooner or later, wear through the plating. I've done it, so it's the voice of experience speaking.

I keep my razors clean with a toothbrush and some dish washing detergent, and that keeps them as shiny as they need to be. BTW: toothpaste is also (mildly) abrasive, so I don't use it.

Top Bottom