What's new

A couple questions

First off should I buy a straight razor with carbon steel, or stainless steel, i know there are honing differences and edge differences, just wanted some input from the shaving community.

Also should I buy a razor with a full hollow, half, or just hollow, or no hollow =p.

Could use the input guys =D

If your lazy and don't want to bother with taking care of your razor, then stainless steel is probably for you. Theres no difference between the steels once the razors are honed. Carbon might hold an edge longer, but the quality of the razor really depends upon the heat treatment, not the steel. So, a better question is: What company should I buy from? My answer: Dovo or TI for modern blades.

As for grind, don't know. Not sure it matters honestly. Just requires different technique I hear.

I agree that stainless versus carbon steel makes little difference. As for the grind, in my experience, it takes more skill to use a full hollow grind and beginners do better with thicker grinds.

Any sharp razor will the job right. Some guys with heavy beards feel that thicker grinds are easier to use. Beginners best start with a 5/8 or 6/8 razor. I have only one SS razor (Friodur) which I like less than most of my carbon steel razors. Stainless steel is harder to hone as it is harder steel.

Vintage razors offer better value for money IMHO and if you decide you do not like straight shaving you can sell a vintage razor at about the same amount you paid for it. Check the B/S/T forum frequently.

Top Bottom