What's new

Heirloom 2-Sided Superwide Bench Strop Kit

I haven't seen this item discussed here. Tony sells leather separates for pastes or daily stropping and a wood base in a kit called the Heirloom 2-Sided Superwide Bench Strop. You can choose either a latigo/paste combo or a paste/paste combo. You simply glue the leather to either side of the wood base and use. I just bought one of each combo. At $21 + shipping, it's a great deal.

Some people have made their own balsa strops for pastes and have bought the Heirloom starter strop. With this kit, you get a daily stropping side and a 0.5 paste side for a cheaper price than the starter strop. Even if you buy the paste from Tony, it's still cheaper. It's a closeout item so I thought I'd mention it. I'll post photos when I get mine.

Last edited:
Good buy Telly! I have one of Tony's bench strops and two of his hanging strops.You just can't beat the quality of Tony's leather,I wonder how much waste he has to toss to get the quality pieces he sells.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Thanks guys. As for how much waste leather.......about 50% is not acceptable to me. Anything raised or dipped below the surface is scrap. I usually give it to a local crafting group that has projects for Boy Scouts and Seniors programs so it never technically gets tossed out.

Tony

How do you think the bench strop would do for a complete noob's only strop? It doesn't look like the $30 strop is being offered this week, and I'd like to get something asap. The next best option is somewhat above what I'd like to spend, so if the bench strop would work, that'd be great.

How do you think the bench strop would do for a complete noob's only strop? It doesn't look like the $30 strop is being offered this week, and I'd like to get something asap. The next best option is somewhat above what I'd like to spend, so if the bench strop would work, that'd be great.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work well. It has the same latigo leather of the apprentice strop, albeit for a bench strop, and it has the same leather used on the paddles strops. It's a matter of preference. Some people like the free range motion of a hanging strop. Also, this kit doesn't have a handle. These aren't issues for me.

Here are photos of my two kits. I'm very pleased with them. They are the basics, which are all I wanted, but they're still quality stuff. The paste/paste kit came to me completed already. Thank you to Tony for saving me some time. The paste/latigo kit isn't completed yet (I placed the leather on the base for the photos) but I've already glued the latigo side and it's drying under some weights as I type. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow night. :smile:

How did I miss this? I have been at his site I'll bet a hundred times and this is the first I'll seen of a bench strop.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Telly,
I had one or two completed ones on the shelf and since it is a closeout I send them instead of the kit version to the first two fellows who ordered.

Everything shows as out of stock when my storefront is closed as I only do business a few days a week. This is only a sideline for me and must fit in between my career and family.

Thanks,
Tony

I ordered one of the bench models in paste/paste as well as the travel strop/case in plain/paste. So excited. They should be at the house tonight when I get home. I'll be using the travel case this weekend.

Telly,
I had one or two completed ones on the shelf and since it is a closeout I send them instead of the kit version to the first two fellows who ordered.

Everything shows as out of stock when my storefront is closed as I only do business a few days a week. This is only a sideline for me and must fit in between my career and family.

Thanks,
Tony

Good deal. I will be placing my order this week!

Top Bottom