What's new

So, I like a Bourbon Collins

Well, like I am saying, without lemon and sugar it has nothing in common with a Collins. It is just a bourbon and ginger ale highball. There's nothing wrong with that, I enjoy them myself.

Tim

This is good to know. I'm going by a reprint of Esquire's Handbook for Hosts, and the nomenclature is a little confusing.

The bartender at my favorite watering hole (who, upon my previous request for an old fashioned, acted like he would have to resurrect a dead drink) mixed my old fashioned (both previously and tonight) with sweet vermouth. No lemon juice or anything...just a muddled cherry, vermouth, sugar, bitters, and bourbon. I see how the old fashioned could be a point of contention. Not bad, but different than I make it.

V

VR6ofpain

Gabe,

From an old Old Mr. Boston's book on mixed drink recipes, you described is a drink called Bulls Milk. I have never had one, just remember the recipe. My own personal though? Ugh.
My father grew up in the Philippines and they called it Dragon's Milk. May have been some kind of "lost in translation" sort of thing. Apparently everyone drank it with Johnnie Walker Black as that was considered "high end" in the Philippines. Oh well. I tried a search for "Dragon's Milk" and it shows a cocktail made with beer.

All I know is it tastes much better than it sounds. The scotch flavor totally overwhelms the milk, so it kind of just makes it a "creamy" scotch, kind of smooth. Nothing amazing, but not half bad. I am going to go try it with bourbon for the hell of it. BRB!

V

VR6ofpain

"Valentine's Day Dragon's Milk"

1.5oz Knob Creek Bourbon
3oz Horizon Organic 1% Milk
Ice

Not half bad. Kind of reminds me of a badly made White Russian. I guess that isn't much of a compliment! Haha!

The bartender at my favorite watering hole (who, upon my previous request for an old fashioned, acted like he would have to resurrect a dead drink) mixed my old fashioned (both previously and tonight) with sweet vermouth. No lemon juice or anything...just a muddled cherry, vermouth, sugar, bitters, and bourbon. I see how the old fashioned could be a point of contention. Not bad, but different than I make it.

Your bartender's recipe sounds correct, to me.:thumbup1:

Tim

Top Bottom