What's new

German Shaving Soap Compendium

My French Shaving Soap Compendium seemed to go down well, so I thought I'd post this listing of German Shaving Soaps I have compiled while on a quest for obscure and unknown shaving supplies.
My collection of German soaps is nowhere near as extensive as my collection of French soaps, so I present this list as someone in search of knowledge, rather than someone who has a vague idea of what they're talking about.
This list isn't as organised as my French list due to the fact that there is a seemingly endless list of artisanal soap manufacturers operating in Germany. I have tried to include all those that I have come across, and where possible a list of the scents offered, but in the end I was overwhelmed by the task. Still, if anyone has any recommendations concerning German artisanal soapmakers that I have not mentioned please feel free to post them in this thread.
Also, I decided to include Austrian products as well, because from an English perspective at least, there is little difference between the two countries. Many Austrian products are produced for the German market anyway.
Onto the list:
Hans Baier
Balea
Dovo (produced by Gold Dachs)
Fantasia
Gold Dachs
Haslinger (Aloe, Bay Leaf, Coconut, Honey, Marigold, Sage, Sandalwood and Seaweed varieties)
Irisch Moos (now produced by Tabac's parent company)
Kabinett (same company as below)
Klar (same company as above)
Kunya
Marbert Man (anyone knows where to get some, please tell the rest of us)
Muehle (same as Edwin Jagger)
Pils
Rivivage (reportedly the same as Gold Dachs)
Tabac

Austrian Products:
Knize 10
Speick
StoBa Seifenmanufaktur (Alpenspeick, Cederholzol and Feirmente varieties)
Messer Roedter House Brand Soap (Austrian made artisanal soap)

Artisanal German Shaving Soaps:
1001-Naturseife
Calaidoskopia.de
Calani (Allgemein, Cadre Noir, Classic Havana and Purissima varieties)
Die Seifenmanufaktur (Active Man and Zitrus varieties)
Einfachseife
Naturseifenshop (Nr. One, Macho, Sahara,Elegance, Cool and Myrrhe varieties)
Naturseife-aus-Leidenschaft (Lime and Lavender/Sandalwood varieties)
Naturseifen-vs.de
Olivia (many varieties, should need no introduction round these parts)
Parfume-Noire
Savion-Naturseifen
Seifenseiderin.de
Schafmilchseife (Lanolin Shaving Soap)
Schwarzwaelder-Naturseife
Schwarzwald-Seife
Seifenzeit (Koala Shaving Soap)
Waratah-Aroma
Waro Feinerasierseifen (Agar/Musk, Cedernholz, Duftneutral, Grapefruit, Kampfer, Lemongras, Patchouli, Rosengarten and Sandelholz varieties)

Finally, here's a portal for anyone wanting more artisanal German Shaving Soaps http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://de.dawanda.com/Product/78/78981/big/1194018067-527.jpg&imgrefurl=http://de.dawanda.com/product/78981-FRAUENVERSTEHER-Rasierseife-Naturseife-Seife-Maennerseife-80&usg=__TvyWWuEvMLQgPyxniYsA3_djJ_M=&h=255&w=323&sz=17&hl=de&start=5&um=1&tbnid=d1LIZ5YWgNqo-M:&tbnh=93&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drasierseife%2Bdawanda%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dde

It's more of a hard cream than a soap, but what about Tabula Rasa? I have the Dark Lavender. It's a blend of lavender & patchouli. Smells amazing.

I've never been sure how to classify Tabula Rasa. I bought some when it first came to the forum's attention sometime ago, when there was only the one type available.
Now, as well as the Dark lavender, there is one version labelled as a shaving soap and one as a cream. Can anyone quantify the differences between the two versions?

Two more artisanal German soapers to add:
Soap Mystic (Rosemary, Sage & Lemongrass and Sandalwood varieties from one of the most highly respected soapmakers in Germany.)
Savonetta Rasierseife

I do not know if it is fair to reanimate an older thread but I have just tried a soap mystic soap and there is no test that I could find in the net so here is my modest experience.
I have tried the sandalwood soap, which is scented very lightly. I would say the lather does not have any recognizable smell (I do have a cold though, so my nose may not be performing as it should...). It is very easy to get a fine lather which falls down and disappears in a very short while once on your face. It is a typical olive oil soap, so you have to memorize where you shaved already, since you won´t experience any staying lather on your face.
The shave itself was easy, the razor glides nicely on the face and allows a close shave. After the shave, I had the feeling my skin was a little bit sticky. Now it is fine again, soft and feels moisturized too.
As far as skin conditioning is concerned, it is a very good soap, adequate for shaving if you do not need to see the lather on your face while shaving.

Cheers,

JJ

The German Soap Compendum is very informative. However, I just can't see using any German products. My Merkurs work fine with Conk, Omega, and Pre de Provence.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Just found this thread, Alex, you are doing an amazing job!

Great thread, wakes the shaving patriot in me!:wink:
And on that note: Speick is actually a German company.

I've never been sure how to classify Tabula Rasa. I bought some when it first came to the forum's attention sometime ago, when there was only the one type available.
Now, as well as the Dark lavender, there is one version labelled as a shaving soap and one as a cream. Can anyone quantify the differences between the two versions?

There is also a tea, vetiver and unscented flvors.. if there is a soap I would love to try it

Sorry, the Balea shaving soap isn´t a soap, badly. It´s a ph-neutral soap-imitate with bad incredients. There´s no beard-preparation. It´s none effective. Bad stuff.

But the other Balea-products are very good and advanced.

Amazing job, Alex! Between this and the French soap compendium, I will never be able to procure and try all the soaps I'd like, but thanks to you, I know where to start. I am still fairly young though...

-Andy

Thank you for this great compilation of German shaving soaps. I found some candidates I remember but didn't want to smell or feel again on my skin, got some new ideas of soaps I could try.
Also I found the Brands of Shaving Soaps in the Wiki. Great work too. I guess I like to contribute there a little since I like the existing structure.

Cheers, Jörg

Top Bottom