What's new

Your Ideal Recommendation List For Beginner

bumping a 3y old thread to see if and what has changed over the past few years in regards to straights.

If, that's a big IF, I put a straight razor kit on my Xmas list and/or purchase one with some Xmas/Shave funds. what would someone like myself (wet shaving for 2y, no issues with DEing) be looking for.

I already have all the software in relation to pre, post, soap, cream, brushes etc.

I have thought about the feather series with disposable blades, but might as well go all out. Straight, stope, stone and whatever else I may need.

Obviously, looking for "best bang" for the buck and would prefer new if possible on the Straight. I have no idea what a full setup would cost, but i'd be comfortable with a $150-200 for an initial investment, but all the "kits" online seem to be $400+

I think what's changed most is Larry @ Whipped dog is putting together shave ready kits with practice strops (as most beginners WILL likely nick or even destroy their strops), balsa hones and he even sells partial Norton, film and other accessories all at inexpensive prices designed to get people started. he also sells higher end poducts too- but his forte/niche seems to be getting people started as inexpensively and comprehensively as possible

and he's a stand up guy to boot! If you are considering trying it out, that's where I would start :)

http://www.whippeddog.com/

I think what's changed most is Larry @ Whipped dog is putting together shave ready kits with practice strops (as most beginners WILL likely nick or even destroy their strops), balsa hones and he even sells partial Norton, film and other accessories all at inexpensive prices designed to get people started. he also sells higher end poducts too- but his forte/niche seems to be getting people started as inexpensively and comprehensively as possible

and he's a stand up guy to boot! If you are considering trying it out, that's where I would start :)

http://www.whippeddog.com/

thanks, i've purchased a knot from larry and knot he's a stand up guy. but believe there was someone else on here selling nice little start up kids (razor, strope etc) and was under the impression they were even better then the WD sets.

oh boy, i'm gonna be in trouble soon. never thought i'd be posting in the STRAIGHT FORUM :scared:

thanks, i've purchased a knot from larry and knot he's a stand up guy. but believe there was someone else on here selling nice little start up kids (razor, strope etc) and was under the impression they were even better then the WD sets.

oh boy, i'm gonna be in trouble soon. never thought i'd be posting in the STRAIGHT FORUM :scared:

welcome to it!! just stay away from teh honing forums LMAO trust me!!! talk about a deeeeeep rabbit hole! more like a black hole... but I'm loving it!

not sure who else does, likely several do, but Larry is the one I personally recommend to my friends. :)

I started with one of Larry's deals and it's been great. I was originally thinking of getting a nice strop and am glad that I didn't because the one that came with the sight unseen deal is quite nicked up.

Top Bottom