What's new

Razor Rating-Grading Guidline

Razor Rating-Grading Guideline

It has become very apparent that many folks these days do not understand how to rate a razor. This has been a concern of many here at B&B for some time now. As interest in wetshaving as both hobby and practice continues to grow, we find it increasingly imperative to create a universal standard for the rating of collectible razors.

A consensus of the known and respected collectors of this board has been taken and this guideline created to help everyone better understand how to rate a razor and it’s condition.

The following is provided as a general guideline but at the end of the day it is you the buyer, NOT the seller, who decides what the razor is worth to you. We understand that rating a razor can be somewhat subjective and our hope is that this helps take away some of that guessing.

New Old Stock (NOS): Razor in original new condition and includes the outer cardboard shipper (if applicable to the model), metal/plastic/Bakelite case, blade pack and instruction sheet. New Old Stock (NOS) status does not necessarily coincide with any specific category.

1. Mint: Looks to be in the original new condition, never used, no damage to plating, no signs of wear like dullness of plating or scratches/dents etc. There must also be no signs of usage like soap scum on the razor. This segment of razors must also include the other extras such as cases, blade packs still wrapped, outer shippers, instructions unopened etc.
Note: Silver Razors may show some patina or natural tarnish.

Please Note: "Looks to be in the original new condition" - There are razors that might have been unused or used just once or twice by the original owner and never used again and hence show no signs of wear. There might be a slight signs of usage like soap scum that comes off in a slight cleaning (with soap and water, no polishing or restoration). This is not Mint.

Please note (2): Restored/re-plated razors: Should be classified as such and not using the ratings “mint” or “near mint” etc.

2. Near Mint: Very slight wear and cannot be classified as above, all plating intact. Restored pieces can not be represented under this classification. Near mint allows for one or two minor cosmetic flaws, e.g., a hardly noticeable, superficial scuff, a watermark, a minor spot where the original shine is slightly rubbed off, a watermark. Cannot be considered near-mint if any mechanical imperfection, oxidation, and loss of plating. Razor could have been used

3. Excellent/Fine: Minimal superficial scuffing (basically, razor showing some usage), water marks etc., some loss of shine, but – still cannot have any mechanical imperfection, oxidation, or loss of plating.

4.Very Good: Some wear but no damage rust or corrosion, plating 90% intact

5. Good: Average use of the razor relative to its age, plating 75% intact. Mechanically perfect or near perfect, but cosmetically compromised, e.g., moderate loss of plating or brassing, limited, spotted oxidation. Silo doors not perfectly aligned when closed.

6. Fair: Considerable wear for the relative age of the piece mechanically usable but far from perfect, visible deterioration of plating, substantial oxidation, visible dings and scratches.

7. Poor: Extensive wear. No one will sell a razor stating it is poor but, it is poor if mechanically unusable or nearly unusable, or, if adjustable, the dial don’t work, and/or extensive loss of plating, oxidation, or serious damage of any kind.

8. Restored/re-plated items: While plating or even re-coloring of numbers on the razor’s dial provide cleaner look for the razor’s exterior, it also conceals its original condition and can mislead a buyer to think it is buying an original item in mint or near condition. Re-plating or repainting makes the item non-original and should be stated very clearly BEFORE making any comments on the condition of the piece, mechanical or cosmetic.

Categories 1-2: Collector’s grade
Categories 3-6,8: User’s grade.
Category 7: Parts grade.

Notes:
1. The two main criteria to look for are (a) cosmetic and (b) mechanical condition.
2. Whether a razor is known to have been unused or used is part of the grading.
3. Superlatives like- stunning, fantastic, gorgeous, clean, etc, are very subjective and do not constitute a rating reference.
4. When advertising a razor in any of the categories below 1, the seller is expected to describe why it rated at a lower grade.

These days we see some instances where the seller repaints or replates the razor. These are NOT mint or NOS. In fact these are no longer original and should be clearly labeled as such. Most importantly these should not be priced on par to NOS or mint razors

We hope this helps everyone make more educated decisions.

Questions and thoughts are always welcomed.

I'd like to say thanks to our very own Copperhead (Ram) and Cutting_edge (Erik) for their knowledge and assistance in putting this together.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. There are a lot of sellers here and it's helpful to have a common, accepted reference point for the descriptions of razors.

Good post! Perhaps an idea (for sellers only), a seperate form (similar to a "new post form"), with some additional dropdown boxes or so...
This will be a pain in the ... ofcourse if the user want's to put 20 razors or so for sale :smile: but hey, just an idea.

This is outstanding Ray. Long needed and much appreciated. Thanks to all who have helped put this together.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Could a couple of mods extend this to other shave forums for comment and "ratification"? I see great value in this being a more universally-accepted standard.

2) Is there any official B&B policy on placing a link to this thread in ebay listings?

3) A minor quibble -- I'd change the first sentence to seem a bit less accusatory -- something along the lines of "As interest in wetshaving as both hobby and practice continues to grow, we find it increasingly imperative to create a universal standard for the rating of collectible razors."

Again, thanks so much for putting this together. It's a wonderful step forward.

Very good, Ray - and thank you.

Most every used/collectible market I know has similar guidelines - adherence to (and interpretation of!) is problematical - but the guidelines have to be there.

These are clear and reasonable.

Thanks again

Superlatives like- stunning, fantastic, gorgeous, clean, etc, are very subjective and do not constitute a rating reference.

Unless, however, you're discussing the awesomeness that is me. :eek:

Nice guide Ray. Thank you for putting it together. It works quite well as a general guide. Now, if we could just get sellers of razors to follow it, life would be good.

Great Effort!

It has become clear that some sort of standards needed t be put in place. I think these seem reasonable, fair, and hold the seller to accurately represent what they are describing.

Another out of the park Ray!

Good stuff. I won't be surprised if we see a dearth of "mint" razors from now on and a few people forced to regrade their collections. The important thing is we all know where we stand. In fact......lets form a Union! I'd to vote myself DE Ambassador for Scotland, with a stipend of £50Kpa. Who do I send my bank details to? :biggrin:

Good stuff. I won't be surprised if we see a dearth of "mint" razors from now on and a few people forced to regrade their collections. The important thing is we all know where we stand. In fact......lets form a Union! I'd to vote myself DE Ambassador for Scotland, with a stipend of £50Kpa. Who do I send my bank details to? :biggrin:

Cue lots of Nigerian 419 type scammers :biggrin:

Well, I do bathe all of my razors nightly in a warm bath of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap. So, you know, I can really say all of my razors are minty. :shifty:

Well, I'll try to refrain from painting them mint green. Though it was a small part of my master plan for razor domination. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom