What's new

Is Shaving Soap better than Shaving Cream?

HI,

I'm curious about the Shaving Soap that I would like buy some day.

Does Shaving Soap is better to use than Shaving Cream? Yes o No?

the Shaving cream is more like thick smooth cream. The Soap is like light soft creamy, right? I'm not very good explaing what is soap and cream. can you help me?

I do have Sandlewood shaving cream in a jar from The Art of Shaving. I really do like the Scent very much. Wich one is better The Soap or cream? and Why?

Chris

I think you'll find it depends on how you define "better". Each has its fans, and lots of us enjoy both. But, that doesn't help you much. So...

If there's one thing that's clearly in favor of one or the other, I'd say the consensus is that soaps are probably less expensive than creams.

Otherwise, creams are generally thought to provide more cushion for your razor, while soaps are generally thought to be a little slicker. If you use this method to get lather from your soaps, however, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that the difference between soap and cream lather gets very small.

Your cream (Art of Shaving) is good, though it is pretty expensive. If you're OK spending that much, then I'd say try try the AOS Sandalwood soap and compare the two. That'll take away a lot of the variables of comparing Brand A's cream against Brand B's soap. AOS Sandalwood is one of my personal favorites, and since you're already fond of that scent, it'd be a great soap to try out.

Better minds will be along shortly to elaborate more on the distinction. Until then, enjoy!

Mr. Igg explained it nicely.

It's not so much whether soap is better than cream. It's more which one you prefer using and that works for you.

I like using both soaps and creams.

And then there are guys who combine them and create superlather. If you search the B&B forum for "superlather" you'll get lots of info on how to create and use it.

I also second Mr. Igg's suggestion of getting the Art of Shaving soap so you can compare the AOS sandalwood cream to the AOS sandalwood soap.

I like both! The Proraso soap is wonderful!! I have so much I want to try. Give a good soap a shot. You might like it.

Soaps tend to be a good deal slicker and have a bit less cushion for me when comparing to my creams. Also, there is something about a milled shave soap in a wooden bowl that just adds to the overall feel of the shave for me.

Also, AOS makes great soaps. I have the lemon and it just smells like soap to me. However, the lather is better than my AOS cream. Their soaps are tallow based. A tallow based triple milled soap is about as good as you are going to get in my experience. AOS, Tabac or DR Harris are where I would start with soaps.

totally depends.

Normally, I get better shaves with decent soaps. (glycerine or milled)

If it's cold and dry in my bathroom, no soap can beat a good cream.

Having concentrated on getting a small DE collection, I'm now starting to think seriously about soaps and creams. Have used AoS, CF, TGR & RSCo Creams and Kent & GFT soaps. Just ordered T&H Luxury soap, so will review that in time. I do prefer the aesthetic of soaps....and the cost of course. Creams seem a bit "prissy", tho I've had wonderful results from both as my technique improves.

Like so much with shaving, it's a personal preference thing. Creams have the benefit of convenience for travel, one of the reasons that I always have a tube of proraso or speick handy.

Soaps in comparison are much cheaper. For instance, you can get a puck of 3X milled Mitchells Wool Fat for $17 or a L'Occitane SS for $15 (note these are without the goofy expensive bowls they come with). These pucks will last nearly a year before you need to replace them. Whereas, a tube of cream (depending on size) will last you approx 4 months give or take.

So soaps are nearly half as expensive as creams. Mr. Igg summed up the differences nicely in terms of performance. Creams moisturize and "cushion" better, soaps are slicker.

Although, at the high end of soaps, once you get your soap technique down, the difference between a high end soap lather and high end cream lather is minimal (but not non-existent).

I also think that the soap (for whatever unscientific reasoning of mine) has a higher "barrier of entry" to the market than a good cream does. That is to say, it takes less effort to make a great cream than it does a great triple milled soap. Therefore, high end soaps have a lot more effort and "thought" put in to them. Again, probably just my uneducated bias, but nevertheless I like to think more care went into my soap than a cream by the same manufacturer.

When you decide to get a new soap or cream, read up on it. Some creams are almost as hard as a soap and should be used as such, CF is a great example, IMHO. Some soaps are like a firm cream, Proraso comes to mind but there are many others.

The CF cream is extremely hard and it took me a while to get used to it. I seemed to be far too gentle with my bush in the beginning and didnt get the best out of it for ages. I think CF needs time to soften in the bowl. the only thing that puts me off it is the parabens....and of course preferring soap!

Of course, next week, I might be onto creams again. I switch preferences between razors and creams etc all the time, making me paranoid about the consistency of my posts. :redface:

There is not much else I can add here. I have always been a cream guy, until I started buying soaps that I read about on B&B. Now I have even started to superlather. Load your brush about halfway with a good soap (consider the properties you are going for, whether it be scent, a glycerine slickness, ect), and then put a dab of whatever cream you like in your lather bowl. I only give the cream about five or so swirls in the bowl, and then finish lathering on my face.

There is not much else I can add here. I have always been a cream guy, until I started buying soaps that I read about on B&B. Now I have even started to superlather. Load your brush about halfway with a good soap (consider the properties you are going for, whether it be scent, a glycerine slickness, ect), and then put a dab of whatever cream you like in your lather bowl. I only give the cream about five or so swirls in the bowl, and then finish lathering on my face.

I like this method, too. In general, I use soap without cream in the summer months and cream in the winter, when dry skin can become a problem.

Also, most newer wet shavers tend to start out with creams and then later migrate to soaps. The creams are more forgiving as a rule, and it's easier to generate a good lather with them.

Soaps take a little more work, and indeed, some can be quite finicky when lathering. The upside is that many if not most can provide a truly exceptional shave. :w00t:

Enjoy your AoS cream --it's a fine product. And later on, if you're inclined, you'll do well with a quality shave soap.

-- John Gehman

Cream and soaps both have their advantages, and disadvantages. Personally, I'm a superlather guy. I find it gives me the best of both worlds. Thick, cushiony, protective, slick, wonderfully hydrated lather. Give it a try sometime, if you haven't already.

Hi,

What exactly do you guys mean when you say soaps tend to be slicker than creams? Do you mean essentially that soaps often are more lubricating and reduce friction against the skin better than creams? Do you think this is true also for non-tallow soaps?

In connection with this, I have often wondered what the addition of clay (bentonie, kaolin, etc) does for a soap. I suppose it is to provide extra slickness. Is it true that clay can help with this? If so, why is it so uncommon?

Regards,
Alex

I started DE shaving about 6 months ago and have now had the chance to try a few different creams and a few different soaps.

I would have to say now that I do feel that I get a somewhat better shave with the soaps than the creams. I've found the soaps are much better at getting a really slick and hydrated lather than creams. The creams I have tried are TOBS Avocado and Lemon/Lime and Proraso. The soaps I've used are Col. Conk Bayrum, Amber, and Wool Fat.

From a practical standpoint, I think that soap is probably more cost effective in the long run since a good sized puck of soap definitely lasts longer than a tube or tub or cream.

According to em's web site soaps are noted to provide a closer shave than creams.

IMO creams are more cost effective than soaps. Soaps may have a longer shelf life if one allows the soap to completely dry from a shave. VDH and em's soaps do not last very long. Specik shave stick lasts incredibly long. Col. Conk (5.25) ounce also provides many shaves.

Musgo and Proraso tubes easily last months. Use a pea size amount and maybe six months of shaves. Much better price/ratio than soaps.

At the end of the day imo super lather is the way to go.

Top Bottom