What's new

Merkur HD question

I've been using my HD for a couple of weeks now, and 'm loving it, it's given me a better shave than my Wilkinson one, but i've got one little niggle about it. I can't get a decent grip on it, mainly because either my fingers are wet, or the razor shaft is wet, i've tried patting my hands dry before using it, and even the razor as well, but after a pass I have to dip in the water which causes slipperiness , my question..

Is there anyway to get a good grip on it? buy a rbber grip for it? or anything to help it?

Pretty much assume your hands will be wet when you are wet shaving :smile:

Not to enable or anything but I like the knurling on the Merkur 38C and feel it provides a good non-slip gripping surface. You might consider giving that razor a try. Note that others feel that the 38C barber-pole style knurling makes the razor tend to slip & twist out of their grip (YMMV and all) .

Another option to modify your HD is that dip/paint-on rubber compound that you can get at hardware stores - the stuff you dip your tools (like crescent wrenches in) to get a rubberized grip.

Another option to modify your HD is that dip/paint-on rubber compound that you can get at hardware stores - the stuff you dip your tools (like crescent wrenches in) to get a rubberized grip.

The only disadvantage with this method is that to ensure an even finish, you have to dip it in, which would cover the knob at the bottom. You can paint it on, but I have found it leads to bubbles and a uneven finish. I would recommend some grip tape, or even plain white medical tape like you can get at the drug store. The barberpole does have an amazing grip pattern. It will let your fingers glide if you twirl it in one direction, but grips like eagle talons if you twist the other. It's almost like shark skin.

I thought I saw someone here had slipped the grip off a pen, or pencil or something on to their progress. This might be worth trying.

Thanks guys, i'll give the tape idea a go (think we have some in the house somewhere), see how I go with that, maybe look into another razor...I've only just got this one, I don't have RAD >>.....yet *cough*

do you have the chrome one? I bought my brother the gold HD and it was much less slippery than my chrome one. the advice here is good. keeping your hands and the razor as dry as possible would probably also help, but yes, you're shaving, which is not exactly a dry activity...

The only disadvantage with this method is that to ensure an even finish, you have to dip it in, which would cover the knob at the bottom.

First, make up a wire coat-hanger or other jury-rig to suspend the razor by the head, and allow the handle to point straight down without touching anything.

Simply use masking tape to cover those parts of the razor you don't want rubberized ... when you take it off, it will provide a nice clean edge at the top and bottom of the knurled part of the handle, and protect the engraved part where it says "Merkur Germany" and the knob at the bottom that releases the head.

Dip the handle in the Plasti Dip. GO SLOWLY when you insert it into the coating. Remove it slowly, too. Hang it up on your coat-hanger thingy. Let it dry. Let it dry some more. Leave it alone for a good 24 hours to make darn sure the Plasti Dip is dry. Dip again (and let it dry, dry, dry) if you want a second coat.

Remove the masking tape, and you're done.

BTW, I also got a Gold-HD recently, and just like you said, "I'm Lovin' it!" But, I'm not experiencing any problems with slippage, even when my hands are wet and covered with lather ... perhaps there is something about the way you're holding it?

After a pass, I quickly rinse the razor head in my sink. Why are you immersing the entire razor, shaft and all? You also might want to look at your grip. I think one of Mantic's videos mentions ways to grip the razor shaft.

I have a HD and the only time I have a problem with a slippery grip is if i scoop out cream and put it in the brush or my bowl with my finger. I have to make sure I wash/wipe off the cream good. Medical tape sounds like a good idea if that is not the case.

I have suggestion ... get yourself an alum block (every wet shaver should have one in the den anyways). Just before you are ready to use your razor, rub the wet alum block on your hands, as if you are lathering your hands with a bar of soap. Pat your hands dry on a towel and ... BAM ... you will have the grip of Spiderman! The effect will last throughout the entire shave.

After a pass, I quickly rinse the razor head in my sink. Why are you immersing the entire razor, shaft and all? You also might want to look at your grip. I think one of Mantic's videos mentions ways to grip the razor shaft.

I am only putting the head in the water, I swish it in the sink for a second, which does cause splash back so it hits the shaft a little bit.

and bloody hell, i wasn't expecting so many replies, the rubber band and masking tape I shall give a go, i'll nick some from work, i'm sure hey won't mind, thanks for the advice guy.

that the knurling on my Merkurs vary from almost smooth, to snow tire deep. I guess it's another quality control factor.

Top Bottom