What's new

Can I get this repaired?

I was given this sweet DE razor. At first I thought it was a SE razor, but then I noticed the comb on the other side broke off.

Is there a way for me to fix this or somewhere that can fix it? The second picture shows the side that it broke off from.

$Broke1.jpg

$Broke2.jpg

$Broke3.jpg

Gotta love zamak... This is the reason i won't buy a merkur or edwin jagger or any razor made with the material for over 20 dollars.

What you can do is go to different websites dealing in wet shave goods and do a search for "head only". You can get a mild or aggressive safety bar, open comb, or even a slant. Slants are the most expensive at around 18 bucks a pop depending on the brand you buy of course. Others are usually between 6-15 bucks.

If you want to go through the hassle maybe you can. The thread linked below recounts how I made a 39C before Merkur produced them, out of a 38C, and parts I bought from Merkur, through Annie Rothstein of Dovo. You can buy a new base plate and the parts that fasten it to the tube/handle. I used a large vise to press the whole thing together.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...nly-Merkur-38C-Slant-Head-Razor-in-the-world?

There was one or maybe it was two photos in the original post, I don't know what happened to them. This razor below, flanked between a Merkur 37 on the left, and 36 on the right, is another 'franken slant' I made the same way because I didn't like that heavy ring under the head of what became the 39C after Merkur began producing them. I used an old Pomco/Merkur for the head and 'neck', and a 38C for the handle. So, yeah, it can be fixed, but for the cost of the parts, and the labor, I don't know that it wouldn't be more cost effective to buy a new 37C.

$P1020584.jpg

Hit it with some JB Weld and try to fix it. Just because there isn't a tutorial and/or people don't like Zamak doesn't necessarily mean it's a goner.

Plus, what do you have to lose?

Try a Working Jeweller. My Wife took some old things in to a Working Jeweller and I was quite surprised at the quality of his repairs. Didn't charge much either. You never know.

Easier, but less authentic, would be a new head from such as eBay. Cheap and cheerful. I bought one and it was very similar to the 89 head developed by Muhle and E Jagger. No complaints.

I have to agree with all of the above that have stated it's not repairable. Any type of epoxy repair will never have the strength needed for the type of use a razor receives and the LAST thing you want is to have it snap off again during a later shave.

Any attempts to solder would leave the plating compromised at the area of the fractures and over time moisture will initiate corrosion of the underlying metal.

If it were mine I would permanently retire it, unfortunate yes, but razors are just tools and tools do break. Best wishes.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Gotta love zamak... This is the reason i won't buy a merkur or edwin jagger or any razor made with the material for over 20 dollars.

What you can do is go to different websites dealing in wet shave goods and do a search for "head only". You can get a mild or aggressive safety bar, open comb, or even a slant. Slants are the most expensive at around 18 bucks a pop depending on the brand you buy of course. Others are usually between 6-15 bucks.
+1 he said it

I have to agree with all of the above that have stated it's not repairable. Any type of epoxy repair will never have the strength needed for the type of use a razor receives and the LAST thing you want is to have it snap off again during a later shave.

I understand your apprehension, but I think you are greatly exaggerating the amount of force that might be placed on the epoxied seams during shaving.

Regardless, I would fix it and I would absolutely try to shave with it.

I think replacing the head is a pointless solution. The Hoffritz silver plating and handle whitewash would not look good with a newer chrome Merkur head.

If I'm jot mistaken that is a 2 piece slant, so the head only thing wouldn't really work unless you were able to find the base plate off the same razor and press it back in to the handle.

I wouldn't try epoxy, that would hurt quite a bit if things failed while shaving, it is the 'safety bar' after all.

Those slants are great shavers though. Enjoy the one side you have and maybe attempt to use the other side as a non safety bar devette as stated above

The razor is a mint Hoffritz slant. I'm not sure how much it cost my brother. It was a gift from him. He also gave me a SE Valet.

I'm not sure I want an exposed blade. I did enough damage to my face with a straight edge razor...lol.

This was my first slant razor, and I never had the chance to even use it. I went ahead and purchased a razor rock 37 today just to try one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom