What's new

Moved from general newbie group - To slice or not to slice?

As I slowly make progress with my new hobby I have joined this forum to learn more and to participate in some threads.

This is my first post so perhaps some detail would be appropriate.

Thiers-Issard Sparticus 6/8, full-hollow singing, Ram's Horn Round Nose razor £250 ($304)

This was a Christmas present from my wife and also for my forthcoming 70th birthday. It was my idea to completely change from Mach III blade shaving to an open razor. Not principally to save on the Mach III blade cost but to get the satisfaction of being able to achieve something new at my autumn years.

As I never trusted the "ready to shave" marketing so I bought a Norton 4000/8000 water-stone, set the bevel only using the 8000 grit and then leather stropped.

I now have given myself around twelve shaves and each one has been better than the last. However my biggest concern is about the second pass shaving against the hair direction. Seeing all these YouTube videos about the hanging hair test I thought I would be able to get an edge sharp enough to 'pop' the hairs but alas not. That said, I am happy with the blade sharpness and comfort for shaving with the hair direction.

So my question is; for shaving against the hair direction is it acceptable practice to introduce a slight slicing motion? This helps me shave but obviously it increases the risk of drawing blood.

Ian

As I slowly make progress with my new hobby I have joined this forum to learn more and to participate in some threads.

This is my first post so perhaps some detail would be appropriate.

Thiers-Issard Sparticus 6/8, full-hollow singing, Ram's Horn Round Nose razor £250 ($304)

This was a Christmas present from my wife and also for my forthcoming 70th birthday. It was my idea to completely change from Mach III blade shaving to an open razor. Not principally to save on the Mach III blade cost but to get the satisfaction of being able to achieve something new at my autumn years.

As I never trusted the "ready to shave" marketing so I bought a Norton 4000/8000 water-stone, set the bevel only using the 8000 grit and then leather stropped.

I now have given myself around twelve shaves and each one has been better than the last. However my biggest concern is about the second pass shaving against the hair direction. Seeing all these YouTube videos about the hanging hair test I thought I would be able to get an edge sharp enough to 'pop' the hairs but alas not. That said, I am happy with the blade sharpness and comfort for shaving with the hair direction.

So my question is; for shaving against the hair direction is it acceptable practice to introduce a slight slicing motion? This helps me shave but obviously it increases the risk of drawing blood.

Ian

The general motion with most blades is a slicing action and straight razors are no exception, it does increase the risk of self inflicted injury but also increases the chance of a BBS shave it's a fine line between them both!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Congrats on the success! For ATG passes I believe the whiskers must be as short as possible. In theory it shouldn't matter but short whiskers seem to be easier to mow down ATG. To that end I do an XTG pass before my ATG.

On the HHT test- it should be called the relative HHT, as you can only compare HHT tests done on the same shaft of hair from the same head to benchmark sharpness. Even then some hair will pop very easily while others will never do it.

Iain,

As long as you're patient and persistent you'll be greatly rewarded. The 'rewards' can be regarded as a gift that keeps on giving; They're learnt nuances that contribute to the whole, little by little.

Glad to have you here!

Top Bottom