What's new

Finally got my first adjustable.

Picked up a Gillette adjustable razor, date code I3. The main reason I did so is that I shaved with an EJ de86bl for several years, with it being the only DE razor that I'd used in all that time. My brother decided he wasn't up for the straight I gave him to try out, so I gave him my EJ. In the time since, I've found myself in the situation of not having the time to do the whole straight treatment, so I used the Lord DE razor that I got my nephew when he turned 15 earlier this year. I guess it's a bit more aggressive/efficient than the EJ, and that I appreciated that. Just like with using Feather blades, I had always wanted to stay on the lower end of the aggression spectrum and was a wussy. Well, I really like the Feather's and now I like the more aggressive razor, so I figured that I'd get a razor where I could totally control the level of aggressiveness, and thanks to the information I found around here I discovered that you could get a used/vintage adjustable for not much at all! I found one in what I believe is good shape for about $36 shipped. Gates open smooth and close tight, no issues with the adjusting ring, some really faint and best of all the blade has no centering issues. It does have a couple of small spots of discoloration, but I can get those out. I'll try to get some images taken when the rain and clouds go away and give us a few minutes of Sun. Anyway, I started at one, and plan to shave at each level until I reach nine. I'm using Polsilver blades first, and I will use a new blade each shave so that my results aren't thrown off by dulling. I will likely redo this experiment with all the blade brands that I like, so that I can dial in a fairly perfect set up. I'll be shaving once every three or so days, so that my face can heal from any damage I do to it(reasonable damage, that is).

First shave is in the books.

1-8-2017: Level 1+2.

I know, I said one level at a time. I cheated a bit. At setting one, I did a WTG pass on the whole face. Very inefficient. Tons of hair left. For my second pass(I always do two passes, WTG and ATG, and a clean up) I dialed it up to two. Difference was almost imperceptible. End results left a lot to be desired. I've found that I do not care for the closed head design as much as I do on the EJ or Lord. I have to rinse off several times more during the course of a shave than with either of the others. Seems to me that even level two is considerably less efficient than the EJ.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Great choice, Adrian. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Thumbs up. I have a couple Gillette Adjustables myself (Fat Boys and Black Beauties).

Give it awhile as you figure things out and my guess is that you will end up well pleased!

I have a Gillette slim and super adjustable 109. Great shavers. You'll find your blend of effecienty and comfort. For me that's around 3-5 with a Gillette silver blue blade.

I have two Slims, a Fat Boy and both long and short handle SA. For me, I usually start off with a higher number like 5 for WTG and then drop it down to 2 for ATG. The strategy here is to get a more aggressive setting to knock down the serious growth and then a milder setting to get rid of what the aggressive setting did not pick up. Kind of like your first lawn mowing in the Spring.

I hope you like it much. I only use adjustables. I have a Gillette slim adjustable 1965 K2, a Merkur futur and i should receive a Merkur progress in the next days, it's on his way to me ! I will play with them for so long i don't see when i will buy a no adjustable !

Good choice! I think you'll enjoy it. I have a 1965 Gillette Slim, and used this morning - Gillette 7 o'clock at setting 6. :thumbup1:

Did you tell us which Gillette adjustable you have? If so, I missed it.

If you have a coarse beard (and it sounds like you may have) I would start at a setting of 5 or 6 and adjust from there if necessary. I have course whiskers and a setting of 5 on a Fat Boy, and a setting of 6 on a Slim or Super Adjustable is perfect for me. YMMV

Resist the temptation to be constantly fiddling with the adjustment dial. And resist the temptation to shave at an 8 or a 9 to demonstrate to the world how "macho" you are, unless you really have piano wire whiskers!

It's not about how aggressive one can shave with an adjustable razor, but how smooth, comfortable, and close (all in combination) one can shave. Good luck and keep us posted!

Adjustable razors are wonderful!

Last edited:
The date code is I3, so I believe it is a Slim made in 1963.

I'd say that I have a middle of the road beard as far as hair thickness, both with the whiskers and fullness of growth. I started at one and am going through the settings/blades as kind of a fun journey. As you said, it's all about finding the combination of blade and setting that will give me the best shave with the least pain/blood/irritation. I am resisting the temptation to fiddle with the adjustment, hahaha. It's not easy to not fiddle, but I don't want to put any superfluous wear on it.

Here are some terrible pictures. When I finally get some Sun I will put up some better ones. $DSCF2579.jpg$DSCF2580.jpg$DSCF2581.jpg$DSCF2582.jpg$DSCF2583.jpg

I just got a Fatboy not long ago and have about 3 shaves with it. Have you noticed that mild blades suck with this razor compared to sharper blades, or is it just me? I have had a shave with an Astra SP set to like 2 and it was pretty decent. Shaved with a Derby and it sucked then shaved with a Red Personna and it was on the better side.

I stay around 2 or 3 on my adjustables. Some love 6 or 7. Find what works for you and be a happy shaver.

I know, but from what I researhed they're almost the same razor minus weight and height roughly , so I wanted to see what OP's experience has been .

I just got a Fatboy not long ago and have about 3 shaves with it. Have you noticed that mild blades suck with this razor compared to sharper blades, or is it just me? I have had a shave with an Astra SP set to like 2 and it was pretty decent. Shaved with a Derby and it sucked then shaved with a Red Personna and it was on the better side.
My reply was to the OP... My FatBoy setting is 5 or 6 with pretty much any blade.

Derby's are horrible blades, I can get a good shave out of them, but I don't like them.

Think of the Fatboy as 9 different razors, find a setting that works for each blade. You may like Derby's on a higher setting.

Ah, I completely misunderstood you. Yes that is a valid point but in an effort to make sure it's not blade angle that is messing me up with the Fatboy and ensure it is not user error, I am going to just try to stick to one blade, and go from there for a bit.
My reply was to the OP... My FatBoy setting is 5 or 6 with pretty much any blade.

Derby's are horrible blades, I can get a good shave out of them, but I don't like them.

Think of the Fatboy as 9 different razors, find a setting that works for each blade. You may like Derby's on a higher setting.

Last edited:
Ah, I completely misunderstood you. Yes that is a valid point but in an effort to make sure it's not blade angle that is messing me up with the Fatboy and ensure it is not user error, I am going to just try to stick to one blade, and go from there for a bit.
What other razors do you get good shaves from? 2 is pretty mild...

I've only used it once so far, and I used a Polsilver. I am not sure where Polsilver stands on the sharpness scale. From what I've read Derby is near the bottom. I used Derby's for a long time and got to be able to get a good shave. They were always smooth razors for me, if not terribly fast. I think that after the Polsilver's, I'll probably try out the Wilkinson Sword's, then maybe Feather's.

I Like my Gillette adjustables on 7 with WS, Crystal or Astra SP. Only modern razor that can give me as good a shave is a Weber PH.

Top Bottom