What's new

What's Cooking 2017

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looking good Dave. I am going to try my hand at chicken soup tomorrow. It will have red potato, carrot, cabbage, and tomato sauce in it. My wife will give me guidance- she usually makes it.

Good to hear your wife is home Owen. I'm sure the chicken soup will be just like hers with her guidance.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good to hear your wife is home Owen. I'm sure the chicken soup will be just like hers with her guidance.
Me too. I'm a bit tired, but she is getting stronger. We are going to do some walking in the driveway tomorrow to help her strength. It has an incline, and if she gets tired I can grab a chair and sit her down for a few minutes. I can have a nice pipe in the process. She had some canned chicken soup today, but that stuff is too salty. Hers is just right (she isn't big on salt, either).

Thanks Aaron & Owen! I'm sure this is the first repeat of this that i've had since that long ago disaster.

Aaron hope you're getting all checked out, i'll refrain from the 'getting older/ageist' cliche called for here. Doesn't seem to matter how well you take care of yourself you can't see everything lurking in the weeds, you get blindsided regardless. Just have to try to make the best of each day, go for the gust!

Owen, you'll do great! As rewarding for the cook as it is for the one being cooked for, a soothing spirit lifter in more then one way for both. Enjoy!

Take care!
dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Beef Bolognese with paparadelle noodles.

I'm glad we are in a place where we can share a bit. Nobody is exempt from the challenges life presents. I enjoy or maybe relish the sharing we have here. We seem to be on a roll. In the face of challenges let us do our best to enjoy every day.

Attachments

• $00000IMG_00000_BURST20170118182659.jpg
    $00000IMG_00000_BURST20170118182659.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 75
Nothing fancy or exotic
But still a special treat every time I make it - although tonight's were extra special.......

Slices of wholemeal toast spread with plenty of mustard - Dijon on one, Colman's English on the other
A couple of slices of "Sandwich" ham on each
Freshly grated cheese on both - a blend of Spanish "Curado" sheep's cheeses
A fried egg on each - sunny side up - nice and "yolky"
Finished off under the grill until the cheese melts and the eggs set
Plenty of freshly milled salt & pepper...........

Cheesy Hammy Eggy.....

Sheer Bliss
$20170120_192420.jpg

But made extra special because one of the eggs was a "double yolker" - The first one I've seen for about 35 years !!
Naturally it went on the slice spread with Colman's

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My first chicken soup. I boiled 5 chicken thighs in water with 3 cloves of garlic. Once cooked, I took the chicken out of the water, added 5 carrots, 3 red potatoes, a white onion, some cabbage, a can of tomato sauce, two stalks of celery, and elbow macaroni. Once cooked, I added the chicken which I had skinned and cut up. It doesn't look like much, but it tasted good.

Yeah, my issue was several factors. The carrot strips didn't cook nearly enough, so they were crunchy, meatloaf had a horrid texture. Also, I really dislike the taste of carrots, so I was trying to hide them in something I would like, and it failed on the level of it all tasted too much of carrot.
Maybe try cooking the carrot a bit before mixing it in with the meat, I've done that a few times to pretty good results. Just need to make sure it doesn't go into the mix with added moisture

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Parmesan & herb encrusted salmon, french cut green beans with toasted almonds, quinoa & brown rice with garlic, and key lime pie for dessert.

$IMG_5048.jpg

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Panko Crusted Rack of Lamb, Roasted Sweet & Red Skin Potatoes, Avocado Salad, and Blueberry/Raspberry Pie, 'cause it's National Pie Day! :w00t:

$IMG_5050.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
National pie day. That will take some gloom out of the dark of Winter.

$IMG_20170123_192023.jpg

Bean, rice, tomato . . . taco in a bowl for my wife and I. I even had the cilantro. (oh . . . and chicken)

We shared a sliced banana for desert :001_rolle

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice meals Connie and Mike. Tonight for us was baked trout with fresh garden tomatoes, thin sliced fennel, zucchini, asparagus and many a sorted spices.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Cauliflower Stir-fry tonitght with shrimps, sweet onion, green onion, baby corn, watercress, mushrooms, carrot, sugar peas, ginger, garlic, edamame and peas. Topped with sriracha and a side of baked spring roll. Sauce included tamarin, sesame oil and fish sauce.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Looks great Aaron. I'm going to have to try that.

Tonight I decided on a Monte Cristo sandwich.

Attachments

• $IMG_0870.jpg
    $IMG_0870.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom