What's new

What's Cooking 2017

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
That looks good. Much of the time I'd prefer a nice meatloaf over steak.

Dustin, a little carrot is fine. I will admit to sometimes putting in so much veg that my meatloaf refuses to hold together. Does not make for a great sandwich but on a plate with mashed potato it was still great.

That looks good. Much of the time I'd prefer a nice meatloaf over steak.

Dustin, a little carrot is fine. I will admit to sometimes putting in so much veg that my meatloaf refuses to hold together. Does not make for a great sandwich but on a plate with mashed potato it was still great.

Yeah, my issue was several factors. The carrot strips didn't cook nearly enough, so they were crunchy, meatloaf had a horrid texture. Also, I really dislike the taste of carrots, so I was trying to hide them in something I would like, and it failed on the level of it all tasted too much of carrot.

Side note, I've learned I can use them in stews and not mind them, or slow cooked with sauerkraut and some (preferably smoked) pork meat/sausage of some kind.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
See my meatloaf disaster when I tried to use carrots in it.. third paragraph HERE... lol

I have had the undercooked carrot once but it was only a texture issue for me. I started to grate the carrot for this loaf on the normal size grate and remembered that, so changed over to a finer grate on the box grater. There was a few thicker pieces in the loaf. A finer grate is much better.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ok, here's something totally different and could probably make its own thread.

Fried rice...but there's no rice. I replaced it with cauliflower. The texture is so much like rice you can't tell the difference.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Ok, here's something totally different and could probably make its own thread.

Fried rice...but there's no rice. I replaced it with cauliflower. The texture is so much like rice you can't tell the difference.

View attachment 716965View attachment 716966

I've done this a few times, it's a bit of a pain to shred the cauli with a grater, if you had a food processor I guess you can pulse it in that. The results though are worth the effort.

Interesting idea... being less than a fan of white broccoli, I've never considered this. I've tried to hide the stuff in plenty of things so I could include it in my diet for the benefits of eating more veggies, so far it's been a fail. I'll have to give this one a shot as well.

Interesting idea... being less than a fan of white broccoli, I've never considered this. I've tried to hide the stuff in plenty of things so I could include it in my diet for the benefits of eating more veggies, so far it's been a fail. I'll have to give this one a shot as well.

Because it's a fairly neutral flavour, it carries anything you want to put in it. As Aaron has done, fried "rice" can have meat, fish, chicken, veggies, chilli, garlic, you can add soy for flavour and colour, no limits. I always add a beaten egg and stir it through at the end.

A slightly spicy cauli puree goes well with scallops BTW.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Because it's a fairly neutral flavour, it carries anything you want to put in it. As Aaron has done, fried "rice" can have meat, fish, chicken, veggies, chilli, garlic, you can add soy for flavour and colour, no limits. I always add a beaten egg and stir it through at the end.

A slightly spicy cauli puree goes well with scallops BTW.

I did all that and the egg. Scallops and shrimps are next time.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The wife is home. I will be doing a lot of cooking the next few weeks, but it will be worth it to have her here.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The wife is home. I will be doing a lot of cooking the next few weeks, but it will be worth it to have her here.

I told you she would be fine. Just take it easy. Things will get back to normal soon.

Have you considered what you'll cook? Will her heart surgery affect your recipe choices?

All the best to your wife Owen!

Tonight's winter chill chaser and the cure for what ails you. Had nerve reassignment surgery a few years ago, day surgery, came home and a bowl of chicken noodle soup what just what was needed to lift me from the fog. Tasted great except the nerve reassigned controlled the right side of my tongue and i couldn't do anything with the noodles except spray them across the table. Taste had been restored a week and a half earlier and now i couldn't manipulate food in my mouth. Drank the broth but couldn't work the noodles, spent weeks/months figuring out how to eat/speak with half a tongue and half a paralyzed face. A work in progress forever...

Chicken Egg Noodle Soup- simply homemade broth with egg noodles, everyone's warm now!

dave

t

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Tonight's winter chill chaser and the cure for what ails you. Had nerve reassignment surgery a few years ago, day surgery, came home and a bowl of chicken noodle soup what just what was needed to lift me from the fog. Tasted great except the nerve reassigned controlled the right side of my tongue and i couldn't do anything with the noodles except spray them across the table. Taste had been restored a week and a half earlier and now i couldn't manipulate food in my mouth. Drank the broth but couldn't work the noodles, spent weeks/months figuring out how to eat/speak with half a tongue and half a paralyzed face. A work in progress forever...

Chicken Egg Noodle Soup- simply homemade broth with egg noodles, everyone's warm now!

dave

t

I feel (sort of) ya brother. I'm having trouble with nerve endings all over my body. I've got a number of bone spurs in my spine. Today I thought I had peed in my pants. There was nothing there. :blink:

Nice noodles.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

dave

t
Looking good Dave. I am going to try my hand at chicken soup tomorrow. It will have red potato, carrot, cabbage, and tomato sauce in it. My wife will give me guidance- she usually makes it.

Top Bottom