What's new

Ruby nebula handle

I did some casting today and cut up some blanks and glued the brass tubes in to make a few pens. While waiting until tomorrow for the epoxy to cure I thought I'd bust this handle out. I cast the blank in late August/early July and have no idea what colors I used other than ruby red mica and I think transparent red dye, the other mica colors are a mystery. No beads or anything fancy, I didn't want to spend a lot of time sanding & finishing it. Just a simple shape that I think has beautiful coloring. I need to start writing down what I do because I like the effect on this one, it looks like a nebula to me, and I have no idea how I made it. Already drilled for a 24mm knot to be set at 48mm.

I gotta get some knots! The Christmas restraint is up so time to place an order.

Attachments

• $IMG_1329.jpg
    $IMG_1329.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 132
  • $IMG_1326.jpg
    $IMG_1326.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 132
  • $IMG_1332.jpg
    $IMG_1332.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 132
  • $IMG_1336.jpg
    $IMG_1336.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 132
  • $IMG_1331.jpg
    $IMG_1331.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 133
That is a pretty color. I find myself taking notes all the time so I don't forget what I've done just in case I like the results. Sometimes measurements and rough sketches are required.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
What a Shine and the colors are great .what knot are you going with. You should try those vs 2band 15$

Thank you gentlemen - and lady! I'm all about the finish, there's no such thing as too much shine when it comes to acrylics. I'm certain I spend more time sanding, polishing & buffing than shaping the handle.

That is a pretty color. I find myself taking notes all the time so I don't forget what I've done just in case I like the results. Sometimes measurements and rough sketches are required.

A guy at the penturning forum suggested this so I'm going to start a casting recipe book. You always think you'll remember what you did until 6 months later when you don't.

What a Shine and the colors are great .what knot are you going with. You should try those vs 2band 15$

I'm trying to see if I can get a deal on a 10 pack from VS. Her prices are very reasonable, the 2 band is about the same price as a Gamechanger synthetic. The black synth would look very cool with this handle though.

I believe you could hypnotize people with that. Just tell them to look deeeep into the handle. Outstanding.

Very nice. Blinding shine.

Beautiful, looks like a jewell. Can't wait to see it with the knot! :thumbup1:

That is gorgeous. :thumbup1:

Thank you! I'm getting the knack of putting a good finish on resin thanks to my penturning addiction.

I believe you could hypnotize people with that. Just tell them to look deeeep into the handle. Outstanding.

:lol: And thank you, outstanding is a strong compliment. Much appreciated.

Wow....im not a many brush kind of guy but would be truly lucky to have such a beautiful brush to use dayly....outstanding piece Sir!!!

Wow....im not a many brush kind of guy but would be truly lucky to have such a beautiful brush to use dayly....outstanding piece Sir!!!

Thank you! My older brother really liked this handle. I've got more blanks to turn and if he picks one of them, you just might have a chance at it. I'll know for sure in 2 weeks, after I make the others.

Top Bottom