What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

While I haven't shaved with the PAA Bakelite I have shaved with its antecedent, the Fasan double slant, and with the 1st gen R-41. Advantage R-41, YMMV.

Hello,

My Phoenix SS DOC arrived yesterday and I was able to take it for a test drive this morning.

I would agree with Gary this is some beautiful machining work. Very impressed. The handle could be fancier but that would be splitting hairs.

I shave head, face WTG, XTG, ATG usually every other day. Today's shave was 4 days growth.
The setup was Astra SP, Proraso green and a Omega boar brush.

I was a little over cautious at first I must admit because of the extra growth but it wasn't a issue. The razor mowed the whiskers down like nothing.

I did notice that this razor will gently remind you if angle is to shallow. You can feel crisp edge of the teeth on the primary comb.

Overall I would say this razor gave me as close of a shave as my Ikon Shavecraft Tech. The shave though was much smoother and no touch ups were required.

It has be roughly 13+ hours since I shaved and for the most part my head and face are still pretty much stubble free and very smooth. Not BBS but darn smooth.

This razor will move into my "Magnificent Seven" group of go to razors. Impressive, dam impressive.

Here is more eye candy.

Cheers
John
$IMG_20161210_183809277_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpg$IMG_20161210_183617249_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpg$IMG_20161210_183708109_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpg$IMG_20161210_183908086_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpg:glare:$IMG_20161210_184033476_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how PAA Bakelite will compare to R41? If you love R41 and you have tried PAA Bakelite, please tell your opinion!
For me it's apples and oranges as far as comparing the razors.
They are just very different animals (slant vs nonslant).
+1

I have and love both. Both give me a great shave. Here's my four current favorites:

$4R_2016-11-15.jpg

The Mühle R41 gives me a really great close shave. The only thing I dislike about it (apart from it being made of Zamak) is that the head covers the blade tabs, I like to see the blade tabs.

The Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant is currently my favorite razor. It's my first slant and it did take a bit of getting used to. This baby gives me the quickest and closest shaves out of all my razors. I like light, so its 16g weight is great fun. Of course at that weight, forget the crazy "no pressure" mantra. If you use no pressure it'll just sit on your whiskers wondering what you intend to do.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Hello,

My Phoenix SS DOC arrived yesterday and I was able to take it for a test drive this morning.

I would agree with Gary this is some beautiful machining work. Very impressed. The handle could be fancier but that would be splitting hairs.

I shave head, face WTG, XTG, ATG usually every other day. Today's shave was 4 days growth.

I was a little over cautious at first I must admit because of the extra growth but it wasn't a issue. The razor mowed the whiskers down like nothing.

I did notice that this razor will gently remind you if angle is to shallow. You can feel crisp edge of the teeth on the primary comb.

Overall I would say this razor gave me as close of a shave as my Ikon Shavecraft Tech. The shave though was much smoother and no touch ups were required.

It has be roughly 13+ hours since I shaved and for the most part my head and face are still pretty much stubble free and very smooth. Not BBS but darn smooth.

This razor will move into my "Magnificent Seven" group of go to razors. Impressive, dam impressive.

Here is more eye candy.

Cheers
John
View attachment 708343View attachment 708344View attachment 708345View attachment 708346:glare:View attachment 708347
Love that review John. It is a really cool design!

I don't have the aftershave but I have the soap and the way it smells I would love to have the aftershave too! To me it's a great barbershop style scent. It's similar to clubman but not a dead ringer, it is similar enough to give a wink and nod to but different enough to keep it interesting. PAA aftershaves last the longest of any aftershave(s) I have, I have and I love them for it. I would recommend just going to their site and buying a sample of it for .99 cents, and any others they have you think would be interested in. Hard to go wrong going that route.

I'm not sure how I would measure that. However, after ten days or so with the PAA, my Fatip was a pussycat.

This sounds scary. I love R41, but hate Fatip. Fatip feels easier to use, but I always have irritation after the shave. R41 feels more demanding during the shave, but gives almost no irritation after the shave.

I wonder what PAA Bakelite will do for me...

This sounds scary. I love R41, but hate Fatip. Fatip feels easier to use, but I always have irritation after the shave. R41 feels more demanding during the shave, but gives almost no irritation after the shave.

I wonder what PAA Bakelite will do for me...
Well, for me PAA Bakelite is comparable to NEW LC in terms of agression - only somewhat more tricky. You really need to take attention to shave.

Hope next werk I'll get my Fatip - then I'll write how it is compares.

Hello,

Here is more eye candy.

Cheers
John
View attachment 708343View attachment 708344View attachment 708345View attachment 708346:glare:View attachment 708347

Would you, please, be kind to measure the total width of the base cap (from comb tip to comb tip)? I would want to calculate stuff like blade exposure and gap and I will be able to calculate it from your picture if I have one good measure.

Would you, please, be kind to measure the total width of the base cap (from comb tip to comb tip)? I would want to calculate stuff like blade exposure and gap and I will be able to calculate it from your picture if I have one good measure.

Will did out the calipers later today. Top cap width tooth to tooth. Base plate tooth to tooth on bottom and at top (approximate) of base tooth to tooth.
Thats what you want? Also inch or metric?

Cheers
John

Measured with 0-6" Mititoyo caliper.

Top cap width = 19.00 mm
Base at top of tooth width = 20.50 mm
Base at bottom of tooth width = 24.90 mm

Cheers
John

View attachment 708507

Thanks! That means that the blade gap is about 0.49-0.50mm. The angle it hits the face is between 33.5° (riding the teeth) and 30° (riding the cap).

Of course this picture is small enough that there could be big mistakes in my measurements, but if correct, then this razor got smaller blade gap than even the mildest Tech.

Just measured gap with a blade installed using a feeler gauge. I got about .38-.40 mm gap (.015-.016"). This matches PAA website spec of .40 mm gap.

Cheers
John

Just measured gap with a blade installed using a feeler gauge. I got about .38-.40 mm gap (.015-.016"). This matches PAA website spec of .40 mm gap.

Cheers
John

Thanks, this proves how difficult it is to measure something from a picture. I did not know the specs were on their page.

This small gap also means it is probably a razor I would love! Personally I prefer blade exposure over blade gap.

Top Bottom