What's new

A better pan for better pan sauce?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've been making pasta with some different sauces made in the pan. For the most part I've come to rely on a couple of de buyer carbon steel pans.

Tomato sauces will take a bit off the seasoning but for the most part recovery is quick with the other things I cook over the next few days. Last night I made fettuccine with a lemon cream sauce. (with spinach and lemon pepper chicken) It was actually shocking to me how much of a dent I made in the seasoning of the pan.

Maybe it is time to find a better pan for this. I'm thinking something stainless or perhaps enameled. What are you guys using?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I love the almiunum pans that all the chefs use in their restaurants. The shape is perfect to shake the pan with a small flip of sauce and goodies. I bought one and like it a lot. I love my carbon steel as well as my cast iron, but acidic sauces will crush your perfect egg making seasoning. Each have their own place.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Probably evident from my original post where I'm headed. Looking for a nonreactive easy to care for pan. All Clad feels like the right direction for me but I am curious about the durability and care of enameled cast iron.

Headed down this path . . . I know the expensive brand names but wondering about the companies who have been making items of similar quality for generations. For instance I've been paying attention to Paderno that happens to be made in Canada. Lodge is making enameled cast iron but I think they are pretty new to doing this and I think they are made in China.

So . . . what brands and specific models are working for you guys?

Last edited:
Get a quality saucier its slight flared to increase evaporation or simply a saucepan in stainless. These are sized 1qt to 6qt. Depending prices could range 50usd up.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I use stainless steel for acidic cooking.

dave

Yeah I hear you. I've been managing to get along mostly with my two carbon steel pans. The two stainless pans I own were too large or too small. Sadly I think my cast iron must leave to make room for a mid sized stainless pan. (yes with curved sides like a saucier JB)

Last edited:
Ours is very easy to clean; however, the interior enamel has stained over the 10+ years of use.
I purchased a small (1.75 quart) La Creuset sauce pan last month to replace a Calphalon pan that grew out of favor with the better half.

Last edited:
Probably evident from my original post where I'm headed. Looking for a nonreactive easy to care for pan. All Clad feels like the right direction for me but I am curious about the durability and care of enameled cast iron.

Headed down this path . . . I know the expensive brand names but wondering about the companies who have been making items of similar quality for generations. For instance I've been paying attention to Paderno that happens to be made in Canada. Lodge is making enameled cast iron but I think they are pretty new to doing this and I think they are made in China.

So . . . what brands and specific models are working for you guys?

I got my enameled from world market. A lot cheaper than the Le $$. It is under their brand. I haven't had the packaging for years so not sure who make them for them. Has held up great and easy to clean.

We have had good luck with whatever inexpensive enameled cast iron America's Test Kitchen gives favorable marks to. As I recall, highly affordable, and seems nearly as good as the much more expensive high-end brand stuff we have. I am sure made in China.

I am on the lookout for a good saucier too. I have yet to make the decision.

As for enameled cast iron, I have Le Creuset and a Cuisinart. The Le Creuset was a 'second' but other than one little flaw in the outside enamel I am hanged if I can see why it was down rated. It works a treat and it easy to clean. Much easier than I had imagined. It will stain however. I stupidly let a roast I was browning get a bit over heated and it burned a blackish spot on the bottom. I was sick. I knew I would never get the stain out completely but I was more worried about the coating's performance. Not to fear, it held up and works as good as new.

The Cuisinart is an oval oven about six quarts in size. While it does not have as much heft as the LC(it is a lot smaller too) and does not at first flush seem to be finished as 'pretty' as the LC, it performs flawlessly.

About the only drawback I would have with using enameled cast iron for sauces is the weight. ATK tested sauciers and left the enameled in last place for two main reasons. Weight and inability to respond quickly to changing temperatures. Sauce pans get moved a LOT whilst you are making the sauce or doing a reduction. The heavier cast iron will wear you down. It is why I was looking at the LC stainless clad suacier they just came out with this year. ATKs winner of the type but 250 dollars which is sizable in anyone's book.

ATKs winner of the type but 250 dollars which is sizable in anyone's book... but its on sale for 189. -25% at WS amd all cookware is onsale:001_smile

For tomato sauces I use an All-Clad 11" rondeau (All-Clad calls it something else, but it is a rondeau) It is approx 4" tall, has two loop handles. Great for sausage, tomato sauce with whatever else you throw in.

I use Le Creuset cast iron oval roaster (with lid) for braising, and I have one of their rectangular roasting pans. Really great for holding heat. With any cookware I've learned to soak rather than scour. The stuck on food gets softened and can be removed with non scratching Dobe Bristle pads, a nylon bristled scrub brush. Scouring with brillo and the like scratches surfaces and causes food to stick.

I have a friend who living in Pittsburgh who hits the second sales. All-Clad, William Sonoma. She has gotten me great deals on seconds that sometimes are like new 1st quality pans. She sells on and off ebay, mostly Mauviel tin lined copper cookware, but the All-Clad, Le Creuset, and others as well. If you would like to contact her for a specific piece send a PM and I'll put you in touch with her.

Top Bottom