What's new

First shave with new Merkur 1904

My Merkur 1904 arrived late yesterday (Sunday) by priority mail. I fought off the urge to shave, and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, followed by a brief soak in barbicide. I then loaded an Astra SP blade for today's (Monday) shave.

This morning I cleaned my face with a glycerin based face soap, lathered up using C.O. Bigelow (my go to for now), my scuttle, and my well worn Semogue 1305 brush.

$120516 Shave02.jpg$120516Shave01.jpg

I obtained a near BBS shave with 2 passes, with some buffing due to a witch hazel cleaning, and a spritz of Pinaud Clubman.

The 1904 seems to be a great basic razor. My only complaint is that it feels too light--I may swap out the original handle for a Parker 24 C or Weber Bull Dog handle to see which is easier for me to hold.

Awesome, and it's the OC version. I hope you enjoy it. I think the handle is hollow and that's why it feels so light.

I have both the open comb and closed comb versions. I like the closed comb with a longer handle. I use the handle from the Merkur 23C. I like the original handle with the open-comb 1904. It can get slick. I rub my wet fingers on an alum block to help with the grip.

Congrats! :thumbup1:
I enjoy trying heavier handles on some of my razors. I find it can often improve the performance of the razor. Keep us posted.

Top Bottom