What's new

It's Krampusnacht! What are you offering to keep on the good side of Krampus!

Like I said...it's Krampusnacht! I plan to put out my shoes on my door step and put some candy in them as well as a glass of rye whiskey! I know schnapps is more traditional, but it's the United States! And we love our whiskey. Here's to hoping Santa's counterpart passes me over and I don't get a visit from him. I don't think I would be very fond of being beat with birch switches, stuffed into a sack, and dragged to hell. Have a great day!

$Krampus.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Frightening! I had no clue this was a thing until I saw a video on FaceBook of some sort of parade.

It's been going on in Europe for centuries. Personally I think there would be a lot more well behaved kids if they new there was a chance they could be dragged to hell if they were bad. :001_smile

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
KampusNacht? O yeah Krampus. Americans do not know what this is.

Please give us an explanation.

This is a great CONCISE explanation about the Old World "Anti-Claus." But do yourself a favor and some search for yourself. There are some great pics and stories out there about how Europe views Christmas.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/12/131217-krampus-christmas-santa-devil/

Bad Santa, meet Krampus: a half-goat, half-demon, horrific beast who literally beats people into being nice and not naughty.

Krampus isn't exactly the stuff of dreams: Bearing horns, dark hair, and fangs, the anti-St. Nicholas comes with a chain and bells that he lashes about, along with a bundle of birch sticks meant to swat naughty children. He then hauls the bad kids down to the underworld.

We wondered: What are the origins of this "Christmas Devil"?

Krampus, whose name is derived from the German word krampen, meaning claw, is said to be the son of Hel in Norse mythology. The legendary beast also shares characteristics with other scary, demonic creatures in Greek mythology, including satyrs and fauns.

The legend is part of a centuries-old Christmas tradition in Germany, where Christmas celebrations begin in early December.

Krampus was created as a counterpart to kindly St. Nicholas, who rewarded children with sweets. Krampus, in contrast, would swat "wicked" children and take them away to his lair.

According to folklore, Krampus purportedly shows up in towns the night before December 6, known as Krampusnacht, or Krampus Night. December 6 also happens to be Nikolaustag, or St. Nicholas Day, when German children look outside their door to see if the shoe or boot they'd left out the night before contains either presents (a reward for good behavior) or a rod (bad behavior).

A more modern take on the tradition in Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovenia, and the Czech Republic involves drunken men dressed as devils, who take over the streets for a Krampuslauf—a Krampus Run of sorts, when people are chased through the streets by the "devils."

Why scare children with a demonic, pagan monster? Maybe it's a way for humans to get in touch with their animalistic side.

Such impulses may be about assuming "a dual personality," according to António Carneiro, who spoke to National Geographic magazine earlier this year about revitalized pagan traditions. The person dressed as the beast "becomes mysterious," he said.

Lump of Coal Preferred?

Krampus's frightening presence was suppressed for many years—the Catholic Church forbade the raucous celebrations, and fascists in World War II Europe found Krampus despicable because it was considered a creation of the Social Democrats.

But Krampus is making a comeback now, thanks partly to a "bah, humbug" attitude in pop culture, with people searching for ways to celebrate the yuletide season in non-traditional ways. National Geographic has even published a book in German about the devilish Christmas beast.

In the U.S., people are buying into the trend with Krampus parties. Monday night's episode of American Dad, called "Minstrel Krampus," highlighted the growing movement of anti-Christmas celebrations.

For its part, Austria is attempting to commercialize the harsh persona of Krampus by selling chocolates, figurines, and collectible horns. So there are already complaints that Krampus is becoming too commercialized.

Looks like Santa might have some competition.

Well, I'm not sure any one individual is entitled to say what Americans know or don't know but I will give some light. Krampusnacht is held on December 5th of every year in various European countries, in regards to the lore creature, Krampus. Krampus originated in the 1600's. So, though modern day Americans might not know the lore, American ancestry, most-likely, did. Krampus is a hairy, horned beast who terrorizes misbehaved children, puts them in a bag takes them away, never to be seen again. Krampus also hangs with St. Nicholas. St. Nick rewards good children. Krampus will mess them up for eternity. Keeps the little one's in line, in other words.

Thanks @dws! I know Krampus is making a resurgence the past few years, but it is one of those myths or lore that really fascinates me. There are some that believe the lore of Krampus actually is taken from pagan or possibly Nordic myths.

Thanks @dws! I know Krampus is making a resurgence the past few years, but it is one of those myths or lore that really fascinates me. There are some that believe the lore of Krampus actually is taken from pagan or possibly Nordic myths.
My pleasure! The lore appeals to me too. It's quite a legend. Now-a-days, Santa sluggin' a refreshing Coca-Cola, to wash down a few delectable chocolate chip cookies, is what today's society knows/encourages. The story has been lost. I encourage it's resurgence, in support of the cultures that never stopped. If modern day Santa Claus can be associated with Christmas, I see no reason to not include Krampus, in other words.

Last edited:
Last night I placed my offering to Krampus on my doorstep in hopes he wouldn't drag me to hell. A healthy snort of some rye whiskey.

$Krampus Offering Full.jpg

Well, evidently I have not been stolen away, so I checked the doorstep and sure enough...Krampus enjoyed the whiskey. You say what you want...but I believe.

$Krampus Offering Empty.jpg

But that is behind us now...because today is Saint Nicholas Day or the Feast of Saint Nicholas!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Last night I placed my offering to Krampus on my doorstep in hopes he wouldn't drag me to hell. A healthy snort of some rye whiskey.

Well, evidently I have not been stolen away, so I checked the doorstep and sure enough...Krampus enjoyed the whiskey. You say what you want...but I believe.

View attachment 707264
Hey Don, you think maybe next time you can leave me, I mean Krampus, a double? :biggrin:

Top Bottom