What's new

new to the fountain pen experience

I posted here longtime ago that I was going to get a pen somewhere along way I got sidetracked. Honestly I can say the growing up I always detest handwriting probably because it wasn't good and I'm still not but I would like to change that. I've always been impressed with good handwriting Ive always wanted to learn how to do it well. My question is Willi a Fountain pen help me do this also what are the things that I'm going to need besides a pen and ink? I would also like to start keeping a daily journal will this help as well? I've been looking into this pen for a while. Pilot Metropolitan it seems as though it's for beginners it will be a good place to start also where would I find ink? Keep in mind I never used to pen like this before only watch YouTube videos on how to use them. I wouldn't even know how to clean one if I had to. Thanks for your help in advance

Also if I'm going to start keeping notebook of my daily experiences do I need a special notebook?
To write in I wasn't sure if you need to special paper for these pens

Last edited:
I would firstly start with youtube videos on improving your handwriting, then lots of practice. Write neatly and with care, just with a ballpoint on lined paper. Build up your skills.

Fountain pens will not transform your writing, they are a tool towards better handwriting but will not give you instant skills.

Thats a very good reason to try one, there are pens out there to suit every budget and you will find it difficult to buy a bad pen.

There are a number of posts on this forum which give excellent advice and assuming that you do not want to spend a lot of money on your first pen you can do a lot worse than look at the Jinhao range on eBay, low priced, reasonably well made and a good starting point, also look at Lamy, most lower priced Parkers and so on.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Fountain pens have done nothing for my poor writing. However, I like them and will continue to collect them

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
A fountain pen won't make you write better, but it can help you to write better. The ink, nib, and paper combinations can give you a far smoother and more effortless writing experience, which may help to make cleaner pen strokes. Also, I find that I can write far longer without getting hand fatigue, because almost no pressure is needed with a properly working fountain pen. With that being said, your body, dexterity, muscle memory, and coordination are what will control a pen. Practice makes perfect.

Goulet Pens and Anderson Pens are two popular and reliable places to order ink from. As far as a notebook goes, it's good to have paper that's made to handle fountain pens and inks, but plenty of "non fountain pen specific" paper will work just fine. Rhodia is a popular brand of notebooks that aren't too expensive and work well with most pen & ink combinations.

B&B's Nib-Wiki might help with some info:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/The_Nib

well i figured it wouldn't make right better but I'm willing to learn how to use one properly right now I'm practicing with a pencil on how to correct my bad handwriting habits because I'm tired of writing chicken scratch always wanted to right better I just never paid enough attention so I'm slowly correcting that when i feel as as the Ive corrected that I'll gradually switch over to fountain pens

Also what pad would be good for a daily journal

Last edited:
One thing I did was print less, write in cursive more. (my handwriting was a hybrid of the two). Good paper that is inexpensive is widely available includes the following:
Made in BRAZIL composition books
HP 24 lb LaserJet and 32 lb LaserJet paper.
Black N Red notebooks

A little more expensive are papers like Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Leuchtturm notebooks

Think of it like this - there are basically 3 components (some will say 4) pen (nib), ink and paper. Those that say four include the writer. All weighted equally.

Ballpoints require pressure for the ink to flow, rollerball and gel pens less so, and fountain pens even less. Look at videos under tripod grip for the best way to hold a pen. Lots of practice. Whether that is journal writing, letters (pen pals are great).

Top Bottom