What's new

feather dx compared to feather ss

i got the feather ss and used the feather super pro blade. but i still cannot shave against the grain and get some tugging and pulling. would switching to the feather dx help in shaving against the grain. i got coarse facial hair.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Have you tried changing the angle? My SS does incredible with the grain shaves when I keep the spine pretty close to the skin. Same with across the grain. A lot of times when we do against the grain, we raise the spine and scrape more than slice.

Never used a DX but I do use a standard straight 20 out of 22 days per month that I don't use the SS and the angle of attack issue is the same. I suppose that it would be for the DX as well.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Make sure you have absolutely mowed down your whiskers as closely as possible using WTG and XTG passes. Longish whiskers will tend to tug more ATG if long. Also make sure you are using a very low angle. Keeping the spine too far from the face will dull your blade astonishingly fast, to point where it will be too dull on your first shave to go ATG comfortably.

In my experience the SS is as good a shaver as the AC, albeit a slightly different technique may be needed.

i got the feather ss and used the feather super pro blade...
...would switching to the feather dx help in shaving against the grain.

In one word: No.

Owning both, I believe that for someone who is not yet capable to shave against the grain with a SS, a DX would make it even more difficult.

The SS "duckbill" design is supposed to (not sure how effective it really is) pre-tension the skin, thereby reducing the risk to cut oneself.
Or, as the manufacturer states: "The purpose of the rounded tip of the SS razor is to gently push down the skin and disperse pressure at the blade tip, making the shave less damaging."

Hope this helps....

B.

IMO, the feather SS and DX shave similarly.
Perhaps a tad milder with the DX, but not materially, IMO.
I enjoy Proguard blades on each.
Both great shavers, perhaps the best I've ever used.

$castle forbes lime rudy vey feather taylor of old bond street may 25 2016.jpg

I recently picked up a Feather AC DX in trade, having been curious about trying one for a while now. Been shaving with straights for a while now, over 10 years. I haven't tried the SS, but the AC DX with Pro blades shaves quite well for me. I never experience anything I would remotely describe as tugging or pulling. The Teflon coating on the blades (along with their keen edges) make them slip through hair pretty smoothly and slickly. I do tend to shave with a "scything" motion also though, which really helps with reducing any tugging or pulling with any razor. I might suggest employing this method if you don't already, as long as you have some experience with it. If not, you might want to practice it with a milder blade first.

I recently picked up a Feather AC DX in trade, having been curious about trying one for a while now. Been shaving with straights for a while now, over 10 years. I haven't tried the SS, but the AC DX with Pro blades shaves quite well for me. I never experience anything I would remotely describe as tugging or pulling. The Teflon coating on the blades (along with their keen edges) make them slip through hair pretty smoothly and slickly. I do tend to shave with a "scything" motion also though, which really helps with reducing any tugging or pulling with any razor. I might suggest employing this method if you don't already, as long as you have some experience with it. If not, you might want to practice it with a milder blade first.

^great endorsement from someone who should know!

From my experience so far, they really are great shavers, but are definitely a little less forgiving than a regular straight razor IMO. One must always be on point and mindful of the angles and pressure to avoid weepers. My first use of the AC I got one weeper, lately I get away with mostly none.

ATG it's pretty important to use zero pressure to avoid irritation, I basically would describe the best method as trying to shave by cutting the hairs without touching the skin, trying basically to float above the skin almost, barely touching it. And again, using the scything motion helps with every razor once you've got it down.

Seems to work great for me, no pulling or tugging of any kind - providing of course the blade isn't dull and in need of replacement. I also have thick, dark hair/beard but not sure if OP's may be more like steel wire than even mine and if that would make a bigger difference.

Last edited:
Maybe it was just me but I found the wedge like profile of the DX to suction or stick to my face when trying to keep a shallow angle. I don't get this with the head geometry of the SS.

That is another thing that the "scything" helps with. I have had that stiction issue with plenty of other straight razors too, though. It seems like it's worse on those with wider bevels and when finished on hones that give a higher polish. I haven't noticed it as yet on my DX, but I've only had it a couple weeks. You might also try bringing the spine up just a tad more and really making absolutely sure you use zero pressure. I described the "floating above the skin" pressure I use when shaving ATG - I do the same WTG, which can allow the spine to be raised a tiny bit more without discomfort or irritation.

It is a shaving stroke with a slight rotational component, so that there is some slight lateral (sideways) movement of the blade relative to the hair being cut. It's sometimes referred to as an "advanced" stroke because it is easy for one to cut one's self when new to the scything stroke.

Top Bottom