What's new

December Mess Hall Group Cookout ~ Theme: Chili

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Beans soaking... :whistling:

$IMG_4985.jpg

I will have some meat in there too...

Thought I'd change it up from the chuck that I usually use with the addition of cuts with more bone in them. :001_smile

$IMG_4984.jpg

I simmered half of that slab of back ribs and a couple of the femur bones in some beef stock & water this afternoon. When it was done, I pulled the meat (will be added back in when the chili is simmering tomorrow) from the ribs and gave the femur bones to the dogs. The stock is chilling and I'll pull the fat off it before I use it as my chili foundation tomorrow. The shoulder roast and beef shank slice will be seared, cut up, and added to the stock tomorrow also.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Beans soaking... :whistling:

View attachment 708115

I will have some meat in there too...

Thought I'd change it up from the chuck that I usually use with the addition of cuts with more bone in them. :001_smile

View attachment 708117

I simmered half of that slab of back ribs and a couple of the femur bones in some beef stock & water this afternoon. When it was done, I pulled the meat (will be added back in when the chili is simmering tomorrow) from the ribs and gave the femur bones to the dogs. The stock is chilling and I'll pull the fat off it before I use it as my chili foundation tomorrow. The shoulder roast and beef shank slice will be seared, cut up, and added to the stock tomorrow also.

I like it when chili is all about the beef & chili...and that's serious beef. Show us your chilies.

Intrigued

Looks good Chris! :thumbup1:

I'm really looking forward hearing how your chili comes out. That lamb oyster cut shoulder looks like a great meat choice.

I have to watch using chilis that are too hot 'cause Hubby can't take the heat.
proxy.php

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looks good Chris! :thumbup1:

I'm really looking forward hearing how your chili comes out. That lamb oyster cut shoulder looks like a great meat choice.

I have to watch using chilis that are too hot 'cause Hubby can't take the heat.
proxy.php

Thanks Connie. I have the same issue with my partner and heat. She kindly told me to not worry about her tonight and make it my way. I don't need to be told twice. :w00t:

I have cooked mine for about 4.5 hours on low temp and it's now falling off the bone.
While I used a oyster cut shoulder any cut of shoulder will fit in here just as well. Lamb forequarter or a square cut come to mind.
Using a bone in cut adds great flavor. Did you scrap the bone marrow out and add to your chilli?

Back in the pot with the shredded meat to finish off.

$20161210_164354.jpg

$20161210_164758.jpg

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
OK this was my Chilli.

@Intrigued Connie the lamb was perfect in the chilli. This turned out great IMO.

Lamb Oyster cut shoulder
2 tablespoons Smoked Paprika
3 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
2 tablespoons Mild Hatch ground
2 smoked jalapeno in adobo sauce, plus some sauce.
3 Dried Habaneros rehydrated
1 teaspoon of salt
Ground black pepper to taste.
500ml Chicken stock
2 cans of cherry tomatoes
1.5 cans cannellini beans.
2 large Onions, chopped
3 Capsicums, chopped
10 cloves of garlic

Cut slices in the lamb and rubbed in the paprika & cumin. Browned in Dutch oven and then put aside.
Sautéed onion, capsicum and garlic. Add chilli powder and oregano, cook off for about a minute on low being careful not to burn the chilli powder.
Then add cherry tomatoes (I split open them with a spoon), chicken stock, ground black pepper, rehydrate peppers and smoked jalapeno with sauce. Bring to a simmer and return the lamb to pot.
On with the lid and into the oven at 120'C / 240'F for 4 hours. I raised the temperature to 150'C / 300'F for another half an hour to speed it up a bit. Aim was fork tender and falling off the bone.
Remove from the boned with forks.
I gave the beans a slight browning in a cast iron skillet and partly crushed a few. Added them to the pot and seasoned with salt.
Sorry Aaron I hope we can still be friends. :laugh:
Back in a warn oven to heat the beans through, for about half an hour.

Rubbed and ready to brown

View attachment 708173

Time to go in the oven

View attachment 708174

Pulled.

View attachment 708175

Done.

$20161210_174810.jpg

I served with some jasmine rice, coriander and sour cream.

$20161210_175820.jpg

I'll admit, I'm not the chili aficionado like many of you gents are. Mine is the boring typical ground beef, tomato paste based sauce, with 2 or 3 kinds of beans in it. Sometimes we even serve it over pasta, as well. lol

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'll admit, I'm not the chili aficionado like many of you gents are. Mine is the boring typical ground beef, tomato paste based sauce, with 2 or 3 kinds of beans in it. Sometimes we even serve it over pasta, as well. lol

Nothing wrong with that.

$2016 chili bday 028.jpg

Jalapenos
Red, Yellow and Green bell peppers
Hungarian Wax Peppers
Onion
Celery
Cilantro
Cumin
Cayenne Powder
Korean Red Pepper Flakes (it's actually a powder consistency)
Chili Powder
Liquid Smoke
Shaoxing Cooking Wine
Bacon, 1 pound of Beef and 1 pound of pork (I used to use chorizo instead of pork)
2 squares from a dark chocolate bar
Rufus Teague meat rub
1 bottle of Beer (I used Nosferatu this time)
Red Kidney Beans
Chili Beans
Black Beans
Pink Beans
Diced Tomatoes
Tomato Sauce
Black Pepper and Salt

I brown the meat with the spices to flavor the beef (forgot to add any garlic but the Rufus Teague Meat Rub has garlic in it). I was going to had some Japones Dried Chilies when the meat was cooking and forgot to. The reason I use Chinese cooking wine or Sake with the meat after it is browned is because it breaks the meat down into those real small pieces, water works too but I just feel weird cooking ground meat in water. I also added a few green onions but not enough to remember to write it down. Here is the finished product.
$2016 chili bday 055.jpg

Beans and pasta combos are great!

We've taken 'chili', yup with beans, and replaced the tomato sauce with it in lasagna, cheddar instead of mozzarella, great variation.

dave

Intrigued

Aaron --> :yikes: ... then.. :mad3: .. :letterk2:.. :incazzato.. :a31:

Me --> :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chili from this...
$IMG_4985.jpg $IMG_4984.jpg

$IMG_4986.jpg + Cascabel & Mulato Chilis

Plus... Beef stock, maple breakfast sausage links, cinnamon, allspice, onions, garlic, fennel, clove, cumin, oregano, tomato paste, coriander, fish sauce, chicken better than bouillon, red bell pepper, flour, corn flour...

to this...
$Chili Cookout.jpg

$Chili Cookout 2.jpg

Top Bottom