What's new

December Mess Hall Group Cookout ~ Theme: Chili

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Mess Hall Group Cookout

Everyone likes a cookout. So that's what we're doing. It will be a lot of fun and this includes you. The idea of the cookout is very simple. We plan on having a monthly cookout with a theme where everyone is cooking the same thing. Any and all members are welcomed to join. The cookout dates will be posted so you will have plenty of time to gather your ideas and ingredients. A “theme” of what’s to be cooked will also be posted. Each participating member will cook from their own home using any method they see fit, (including inside ovens and stove-tops) but staying within the theme for that week. Posting time will include two weekends from Saturday through to the next Sunday, so you will have plenty of time to help you prepare and post. Of course all your efforts will have to be documented with pictures of at least the final product along with a short tutorial.

The real fun will be getting to see what other fellow members come up with across the world. Come on out and join us. You have to eat, so you might as well show us how you cook.

Dates: Starts Saturday 12-10-2016, Ends Sunday 11-18-2016. That's two whole weekends.

Theme: Chili
If you want in, Just say I'm cookin'!!!

~ Thread idea inspired by Brucered

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm cookin.'

I'm making something a little different this time around....still no beans of course. I encourage you to make a chili however you want but that is big and bold in flavor. Forget about that souped up spaghetti sauce.:tongue_sm:thumbdown To get that you'll need some fresh chili powder. Use three different kinds to give it more depth, and don't be shy to use a little bit more cumin then you think. Try and use a combination of both fresh and granulated spices, etc. Fresh ingredients are key. Throw out that chili powder you've got in the spice rack from 1993. Don't make it too greasy or too salty. Let it simmer and don't peek for at least 1 hour.

...and most importantly, have fun.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Dates: Starts Saturday 12-10-2016, Ends Sunday 11-18-2016. That's two whole weekends. :blink: :blink: ......
proxy.php
proxy.php

Theme: Chili
If you want in, Just say I'm cookin'!!!
proxy.php

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
So, it doesn't seem too crazy?

I made one some years ago. A white chilli made with Chicken, chick peas, chicken stock, I can't remember the spices. It did not taste like your standard chilli but was good in it's own right.

I'm thinking of a lamb chilli for a change of pace. Lamb can stand up to strong flavors, so should work out well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chicken chili just popped into my head- should I pop it back out? :biggrin:

Yes or ground turkey.

I'm in, but I'm not going to pay any heed to Aarons chilli rules. This will be made on my terms. :pirate:

Its always on your terms.

Only after you take some photos, post them here.
Good luck.

So, it doesn't seem too crazy?
Nope.

I made one some years ago. A white chilli made with Chicken, chick peas, chicken stock, I can't remember the spices. It did not taste like your standard chilli but was good in it's own right.

Nice, but where's the chili powder?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Chicken chili just popped into my head- should I pop it back out? :biggrin:

Chicken chili is good, but why not go out of the pedestrian area of beef, pork, chicken, venison, wild hogs and such and go out of the box.

Go catch your own and make some rattlesnake chili...several recipes on the net.

I guess I'm in but I don't know if I can make a decent chili...the only thing I know how to do is open a can. Good stuff though.

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Chicken chili is good, but why not go out of the pedestrian area of beef, pork, chicken, venison, wild hogs and such and go out of the box.

I guess I'm in but I don't know if I can make a decent chili...the only thing I know how to do is open a can. Good stuff though.

The only time I want to see a rattlesnake is if I am holding a shotgun. By time I am done, there won't be any meat left.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

proxy.php

Like I said this thread could explode.

Mike, I banish you to a chili Cookoff with your canned can to see what happens.

...although that rattlesnake round-up chili could be mighty tasty.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Mike, I banish you to a chili Cookoff with your canned can to see what happens.

:biggrin1:

I have something a bit different in mind this time rather than my usual Original San Antonio Chili recipe (hey, my Tio and Tia live in Uvalde).

Think Terlingua. :001_smile

Top Bottom