What's new

Amazing how much good whiskey there is out there, especially.

..when you consider how down the bourbon industry was 10 or 15 years ago. I was on my last bottle of Weller 12, and fortunately I was able to pick up another bottle a few days ago, but it is getting more difficult each year. In the recent past the stuff was on the damn shelf. I guess it is good bourbon has made a comeback because there are so many new (and good) products in the market, but I hate it has created somewhat of a "black market" for stuff like Pappy. It is outrageous that a bottle of Pappy that retails for less than $100 can be sold for several hundred.

There has been a renaissance of fine spirits. In addition to the explosion of bourbon, there has been an even greater explosion of gin. Good times for those of us who enjoy spirits.

There are, as you mentioned, some downsides, but all in all it is a great time to enjoy all kinds of libations!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There will be, no doubt, a rise in production from non-traditional areas, especially as the traditional stuff starts selling for higher and higher prices. Some people will insist on the traditional item ... "it's gotta be Scotch!" or "nothing but gen-uuu-ine bourbon will do!" ... but they'll pay ever higher prices for that elusive bottle of Lagavulin or Pappy; others, however, will be more interested in getting a good drink of whisk(e)y and not be bothered by where exactly it comes from or whether or not it was produced in exactly the traditional methods.

We saw the same thing in wine in the past decades, where a good bottle of Cabernet from Chile would cost $10-$20 and be just as enjoyable as a $30-$40 bottle from France ... except it didn't have "France" on the label. Or a $50 bottle from California matching $100 bottles from France.

The problem that caused that "black market" is that the Whiskey/Bourbon market was taken a bit by surprise by the surge in popularity. And since it take 5-7 years to make a decent bourbon and 10-15 to make a really great one, there's going to be a lag in availability for a long time....

There has been a renaissance of fine spirits. In addition to the explosion of bourbon, there has been an even greater explosion of gin. Good times for those of us who enjoy spirits.

There are, as you mentioned, some downsides, but all in all it is a great time to enjoy all kinds of libations!!

They're actually both related. The distillers want to sell bourbon. Bourbon takes time to mature and age. To make a quick buck, the distillers produce white liquor (gin) and immediately sell it to fund a buildup of aged bourbon. Bourbon will actually catch up to gin in a couple of years when they start bottling the stuff they've aged. This also works for the "bottled by" companies that don't distill their own liquor. They just mix a bunch of botanicals into liquor stock, bottle it up, and sell it for a quick buck.

To the OP, there may be a lot of choices, but there are very few new distilleries producing whiskey. Most of this stuff is the same old distilleries that sell the white liquor to people that age it in barrels, slap a fancy label on it, and charge you an arm and a leg for it. How am I supposed to drink whiskey with only one arm and leg, I'd keep tipping over :tongue_sm.

To that end, I try very few new bourbons and stick to my old classics like Blanton's. For new stuff, I've actually been trying Canadian whiskeys.

distilleries that sell the white liquor to people that age it in barrels, slap a fancy label on it, and charge you an arm and a leg for it. How am I supposed to drink whiskey with only one arm and leg, I'd keep tipping over :tongue_sm.

You pay for it with a left arm and right leg or vice versa. It balances out in the end. :lol:

I've been quite happy with some of the new Gins, Martin Miller's is just excellent. The new bourbons have been less impressive to me. Many of the new bourbons are trying to rival a good scotch in price, and for that kind of money I'll drink scotch. Knob Creek, some of the Four Roses, and Buffalo trace are still available at very reasonable prices for an everyday bourbon.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Most of this stuff is the same old distilleries that sell the white liquor to people that age it in barrels, slap a fancy label on it, and charge you an arm and a leg for it. How am I supposed to drink whiskey with only one arm and leg, I'd keep tipping over :tongue_sm.

You pay for it with a left arm and right leg or vice versa. It balances out in the end. :lol:

They don't much care for payment in arms ... they are only interested in the lower limbs.

(That's why you end up legless when you drink their whisky.)

I remember when I started to drink Sazerac 18 year old Rye it was $27 dollars a bottle. Then the year after it went up to $35, the $45, $60, $75, and then over $100. I'm not a rich man by any means, but I love the stuff so much that I would pay near $200 a bottle...if I could get my hands on it. The entire Baton Rouge area gets only about a case of it to be divided among a gazillion (yes that is a real number :001_smile) retailers. There is one place that has a drawing just for the privilege of purchasing a bottle (as well as George T Stagg, Pappy, and a few other hard to get whiskeys and beers). So I have since stopped trying to get any of these anymore. It's sad, because at the end of the day, it's the same bottle as the $27 bottle I used to drink. Can I blame this on Millennials? :001_smile

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The entire Baton Rouge area gets only about a case of it to be divided among a gazillion (yes that is a real number :001_smile) retailers.

Consider yourself lucky! All of South America gets only one case, and they have to divide it up between a Brazillian retailers.

I quit drinking a couple of years ago due to a health scare, but tonight I picked up a bottle of Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond to give as a Christmas present. Paid a whopping $12.99 for a consistently good bourbon that no one would turn down, if you were to hand them a glass.

There are still some bargains out there, from what I could tell tonight.

The nice thing in my opinion is the growth of local distillers. I now have two near me. They make their own stuff and in these early years are pretty experimental since they have little aged product to sell. Sits right up there with local breweries. I'm not wedded to Kentucky for bourbon so I'm glad to see innovation.

I quit drinking a couple of years ago due to a health scare, but tonight I picked up a bottle of Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond to give as a Christmas present. Paid a whopping $12.99 for a consistently good bourbon that no one would turn down, if you were to hand them a glass.

There are still some bargains out there, from what I could tell tonight.
I hope your health is better and you are on the mend!!

Thank you sir! My scare was the kick in the rear end I needed, to start making some serious lifestyle changes. I'm happy to report my overall health is much better.

Thank you for your kind thoughts, and may God bless you and yours!

Due to price increases in single malt I started drinking Irish whiskey bourbon and aged rum.Irish whiskey is now getting overpriced ,at least the ones I like. Now if bourbon and aged rum prices start to become rediculous I will need to find a new favorite. Reminds me of the diamond market artificial price inflation game.

The local distilleries IE within walking distance of me make some great stuff!!! And it is as good as everything else in The price range. $45/BTL.

Oyo and Watershed. Both are great but I can get adequate scotch for the same price...

Top Bottom