What's new

Announcing: The First Shaving Soap Pass Around for European and UK members

This one of a series of pass-arounds that I’m doing to get the ball rolling for the UK/European group. Only Badger and Blade members resident in Continental Europe, the UK, or Ireland are eligible for this pass around.

Eligible Badger & Blade members have until Midnight Monday November 21[SUP]st[/SUP] 2016 to join in. I’m sending out a mix of 6 Shaving sticks and one tin for European and UK resident Badger and Blade members to try over the period of one week and then pass on to the next person in the list:

• 1 La Toja shaving stick - this is a superb shaving stick from Spain. I use it a lot excellent perfomance, pleasant scent, and in a travel-friendly little plastic container.
  • 1 LEA shaving stick - another Spanish product and one which I like a lot. It's great value for money, lathers well and also comes in travel friendly packaging.
  • 1 Erasmic shaving stick - a low-price British classic shaving sticking. The snobby turn their noses up at it I suppose because it's a bit old-fashioned and cheap but it outperforms many a more expensive product.
  • 1 Palmolive classic shaving stick - again a very cheap product that outperforms many much more expensive products. I'm including it because in my experience it and Erasmic are products that people outside the UK talk about but have rarely in fact tried.
  • 1 Speick shaving stick - A good performer made by the eponymous German firm that lathers easily and has an interesting scent.
  • 1 Vergulde Hand shaving stick - in one form or another Vergulde Hand (Gilded Hand) shave soap has been around for 460 years. Every time I use this Dutch soap I think to myself "have to use this more". It's comes in a gloriously retro art-deco container with "Scheerstaaf" ("Shaving stick") in relief on the sides.
  • 1 Matas shaving soap in a tin - Matas are a Danish chain that sell personal care products. In my experience their "own brand" products all have a good price-performance ratio and this shaving soap in a tin is no exception. It's a good work-man like, get the job done, shaving soap, that performs very well if you're using hard water and superbly with soft water. At 50 Kroner it's also quite cheap by Danish standards.
Some Questions and Answers About The Pass Around:

What’s a pass-around? I’m using the definition given in the Badger and Blade sticky posting:

What is a PIF? - A Guide for Newbies
PIF sometimes means “Pass It Forward”. This term has been used to describe special PIFs, where a member puts an item of theirs on loan for many members to pass it around and try out. They will build a list of around 10-20 participants. The item will be sent to the first person on the list to try out for a week, then it will be sent to the next person, and so on. At the end, the item is usually returned to the original owner of the item, or they may choose to PIF (Pay It Forward) it to one of the members of the Pass. However, this activity is normally called a pass around or just a pass (e.g. a razor pass, brush pass, soap pass, etc).

Who can join in this pass around? - Any Badger and Blade member resident in Continental Europe, Ireland, or the UK who has joined the U.K. And EU Brotherhood started by Jonno7452. To keep it manageable I’m going to restrict this to the first twenty (20) people who put their name down.

Why am I restricting it to the first 20? There are 7 products and you have 7 working days to try them out. 20 weeks is quite a long time for the last person on the list to wait - nearly 5 months, so I'm keeping numbers low in the interests of fairness.

How do you join in the pass around? Go to the U.K. And EU Brotherhood Thread and make a posting saying you’re eligible and interested OR post here saying you're eligible and interested. Send me a Private Message saying you’ve done so and sending me your postal address. Make sure that you type your address exactly as it should appear on a letter or package.

That’s it! - Sit back and wait for it to arrive. Once it arrives you have one week to use it. At the end of the week you must post it to the next person in the pass around.

What happens when the pass around closes on Midnight Monday November 21[SUP]st[/SUP] 2016? Some time on Tuesday November 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] 2016 I will put all the addresses onto a list grouping them by country and then print that list out. To keep postal charges down the package will go to continental and Irish members first. Then to UK members - the last person on the list gets to keep whatever’s left - which should be a decent amount as a little of these soaps goes a long way.

What do you have to do? You commit to passing on the package to the next person on the list. I will send out a list of recipients with the package. Just cross your name off the list and post the package to the next person on the list.

I’m doing this to get the ball rolling so please take a little time to write up your impressions of the various products.

Will you be doing more pass arounds? Yes if this pass around goes well I’ll do a few more. The next one will be some exotic creams and soft soaps in tubs.

Last edited:
SWMBO will kill me for spending more euros at Deutsche Post but sign me up.

However, due to my schedule (Retail and Christmas) please put me at the back of the list... even if you have to cheat! :tongue_sm

SWMBO will kill me for spending more euros at Deutsche Post but sign me up.

However, due to my schedule (Retail and Christmas) please put me at the back of the list... even if you have to cheat! :tongue_sm

You're in and I'm sure we can manage that somehow or another :)

Not in. I went on a buying spree this summer and I have all but one of the soaps. I look forward to participate in the conversation though.

Not in, because I have got or used all but one of the soaps listed. However, I will read the reviews with interest. Just to add, La Toja is a wonderful product at a great price; it produces a rich and protective lather with very little effort. The Speick is also quite good, but I'm not as keen on it as the La Toja. I'd probably better keep my thoughts on some of the others to myself.

Not in, because I have got or used all but one of the soaps listed. However, I will read the reviews with interest. Just to add, La Toja is a wonderful product at a great price; it produces a rich and protective lather with very little effort. The Speick is also quite good, but I'm not as keen on it as the La Toja. I'd probably better keep my thoughts on some of the others to myself.

Fully agree with you about La Toja - just superb.

Happy to see a passaround not US based. [MENTION=92008]margor64peroez[/MENTION] if you need any help, don't hesitate to reach out!

Happy to see a passaround not US based. @margor64peroez if you need any help, don't hesitate to reach out!
Many thanks Chad I'll take you up on that should the occasion arise. I have to say I've been very pleasantly surprised by how my first (7 creams from all over Europe + Russia) is going. It's very clear that the chaps trying the creams out are enjoying themselves trying the creams out and they're repaying by writing very thoughtful and helpful reviews.

Mark

As one of the chaps trying the creams very generously passed around, I can vouch for attached - in terms of enjoyment from trying them anyway, whatever about the thoughtful and helpful reviews that ensued :001_smile

Many thanks Chad I'll take you up on that should the occasion arise. I have to say I've been very pleasantly surprised by how my first (7 creams from all over Europe + Russia) is going. It's very clear that the chaps trying the creams out are enjoying themselves trying the creams out and they're repaying by writing very thoughtful and helpful reviews.

Mark

Bump: Gentle reminder to anyone interested in participating you only have until Midnight Monday November 21[SUP]st[/SUP] 2016to join in.

Many thanks Chad - everything helps especially for a new group starting off. I'll hold this open for another 24 hours just in case.
The radio show is Monday. Might be worth it to keep it open for a couple days past that date.

This message brought to you by Chad's phone.... most likely with typos

Package arrived today, many thanks Mark, looking forward to tomorrow's shave already!

Just to clarify, I typically use shave sticks directly on my face, but wonder if anyone has any issue with using a shave stick that has been liberally rubbed on someone else's face before they get it? The sticks all look brand new, and I myself have no issue with shaving with a used stick, but just want to clarify others' opinions before proceeding in morning.

Top Bottom