What's new

Derby extra blades

It only takes half a minute to change a blade. If you start a shave and the blade is pulling and not as smooth as normal, it is easy enough to stop, change the blade and then carry on shaving. IME you should get at least 3 shaves from most blades before needing to change.

It only takes half a minute to change a blade. If you start a shave and the blade is pulling and not as smooth as normal, it is easy enough to stop, change the blade and then carry on shaving. IME you should get at least 3 shaves from most blades before needing to change.

Ok thx

You might like to note that Derby tend to have a dreadful reputation. Deservedly so in my opinion, they're not particularly sharp and the coating on their cutting edges is sputtered which generally leads to uneveness both in quality and regularity of the cutting edge's presentation to the skin. I strongly suggest you get a better blade. Which given that you're using Derby's won't be difficult.

For me Derbys are pretty average and are not in my rotation.

That said, I typically change a blade after 7 three-pass shaves, and often can get more!

You might like to note that Derby tend to have a dreadful reputation. Deservedly so in my opinion, they're not particularly sharp and the coating on their cutting edges is sputtered which generally leads to uneveness both in quality and regularity of the cutting edge's presentation to the skin. I strongly suggest you get a better blade. Which given that you're using Derby's won't be difficult.

Thx - can you recommend a blade? I'm a newbie. Thx

I physically can't use Derby - a reaction to the coating always left my face hot, red, sweaty, puffy and unbelievably itchy.

But as a rule I change my regular blades after 3 shaves - 4 shaves are possible, but not much fun

And my best blades - Bic Chrome Platinum, Indian Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless, Racer Super Class Platinum, Personna Platinum Chrome, German Wilkinson Sword and Zaza Super Stainless after 4 shaves
I can stretch to 5 or more shaves, but I don't enjoy it

I personally haven't found Derbys to be that bad. I received a few as throw ins from e-bay razor purchases. I have only tried about 7 blades. They might be my least favorite so far, but I am certainly not throwing the ones out that I haven't used. I used them in my OLD Type and my '52 super speed. I read that they don't pair well with my Muhle R41. I would recommend Astra SPs. I have found they work with all five of my razors with good results and good longevity.

Thx - can you recommend a blade? I'm a newbie. Thx

I standardised on two blades literally decades ago.

1. Feather
  2. Treet Durasharp Carbon Double Edge Razor Blades

Both are extremely sharp and they're at opposite ends of the cost spectrum.

Get a blade that's sharp and known to be so because (and I know this sounds paradoxical to newcomers) you are far less likely to cut yourself or scrape your skin raw with a sharp blade that a blunt one.

I think your best bet is to buy a sample pack plenty of reputable dealers sell good sample packs as a quick visit to google or ebay will show you. Get a fairly large sample but not too large between 8 and 20 brands in the sample pack is a good bet.

The only American dealer with whom I've dealt recently ( Maggard razors ) has several sample packs with a reasonable variety. I can recommend Maggard they give me a very good service.

If you want a "can't go wrong with these" recommendation then I suggest Astra superior platinum (the ones in the green pack like this:

$astra blades.jpg)

They're very sharp and at a very good price. Lots of American dealers sell them - they're not as sharp as Feather but they're pretty damned sharp all the same the price:performance ratio is very good. YOu should if you click around a bit get 100 of them at a very good price.

If you want extremely sharp blades then either Feather or the Durasharps are excellent. I buy my Durasharps 400 at a time from the excellent British dealer Connaught Shaving - they work out at around 7 US cents a blade. (COnnaught shaving also do good blade sample packs). They're almost as sharp as Feather but because they're carbon steel rather than stainless steel they lose their edge quickly and they rust if you leave them wet in the razor. Given how cheap they are I toss them after one shave without even a twinge of remorse. Feather blades are a lot more expensive 21 to 28 US Cents per blade depending on where you buy them. They're very very sharp, and you'll get at least 3 and probably more good shaves out each blade. People sometimes say to newcomers "stay away from Feather until you're a very proficient shaver" - I think this is bad advice, with sharp blades as long as you shave slowly and carefully using no pressure at all (let the blade do the work) you'll get very good shaves from day 1 and they will only get better with time. You're far less likely to cut yourself or scrape yourself raw with a good blade than a bad one.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Change derbys every 2 shaves? Thoughts?

More shaves than some folks get, but not as many as others. There is this post from the Excalibur club thread:

I shaved a Derby blade to 31 shaves, they were not all in succession but spaced out. I used it in all my daily rotation razors and discovered that the blade does the best in my 1950 Aristocrat!

Derby is a very forgiving blade and therefore a good choice before you perfect your technique. Don't fall for the siren sounds about ultra sharp blades and aggressive razors. You will find a lot of that tough guy attitude in shaving forums. If you regularly get a nick or two from a Derby, then don't blame the blade, but reflect on your technique. I just charged my Rocket HD with a Derby, ready for the morning, and expect to get four shaves out of it. Improve the longevity by turning the blade after two shaves. My favourite blade is the Polsilver Iridium which is considerably sharper. However, I have had four days with a Sputnik and the skin feels like it needs a rest. That's when a Derby comes very handy even for an experienced wet shaver.

Derby is a very forgiving blade and therefore a good choice before you perfect your technique. Don't fall for the siren sounds about ultra sharp blades and aggressive razors. You will find a lot of that tough guy attitude in shaving forums. If you regularly get a nick or two from a Derby, then don't blame the blade, but reflect on your technique. I just charged my Rocket HD with a Derby, ready for the morning, and expect to get four shaves out of it. Improve the longevity by turning the blade after two shaves. My favourite blade is the Polsilver Iridium which is considerably sharper. However, I have had four days with a Sputnik and the skin feels like it needs a rest. That's when a Derby comes very handy even for an experienced wet shaver.

Thank you

Thank you.

Interestingly, when I first started coming to B&B, back in 2009, Derby was probably the most recommended blade. It was very common for new shavers to be steered toward Derby blades, as they do tend to be more forgiving than many others. I find that the second through fourth shaves with one are actually better than the first. For me, they seem more smooth after the initial shave. Over the past seven years, I've had the chance to try around forty different blades, and Derby remains one of the half dozen or so I reach for regularly. I find them to give me a comfortable shave, and personally find some blades that many around here love to be harsher than I prefer. For example, I'm not a big fan of Feathers, and if given the choice, would shave with a Derby instead. At the end of the day, try a lot of different blades, and see what you prefer. A couple years later, after your technique has improved and you've determined which razors you like, revisit the blades. You'll probably find that some blades you wrote off are much better as you gain experience. I've long thought that part of the bad press we see with Derby comes from the fact that they are often included with new razors. The issues with shave quality are often mistakenly attributed to the blade, when technique is the true issue. I'm glad that I've found an 8 cent blade that works for me.

Some people are going to say Derby doesn't work for me so they suck. Others will say Derby works well for me, they're great. The fact of the matter is that only you know your face and only you can judge if they work for you.

If you have a beard that's like a wire brush two shaves out of a Derby might be great. If your beard is very soft, not so great. Personally I get 4 shaves out of most blades. But that has no bearing on what will work for you.

Keep shaving, work on your technique and find what works for YOU. Blades are cheap change as often as you need.

I concur. And I've never tried Derby blades, so I can't give an opinion as to whether they're good or bad. :001_smile

Interestingly, when I first started coming to B&B, back in 2009, Derby was probably the most recommended blade. It was very common for new shavers to be steered toward Derby blades, as they do tend to be more forgiving than many others. I find that the second through fourth shaves with one are actually better than the first. For me, they seem more smooth after the initial shave. Over the past seven years, I've had the chance to try around forty different blades, and Derby remains one of the half dozen or so I reach for regularly. I find them to give me a comfortable shave, and personally find some blades that many around here love to be harsher than I prefer. For example, I'm not a big fan of Feathers, and if given the choice, would shave with a Derby instead. At the end of the day, try a lot of different blades, and see what you prefer. A couple years later, after your technique has improved and you've determined which razors you like, revisit the blades. You'll probably find that some blades you wrote off are much better as you gain experience. I've long thought that part of the bad press we see with Derby comes from the fact that they are often included with new razors. The issues with shave quality are often mistakenly attributed to the blade, when technique is the true issue. I'm glad that I've found an 8 cent blade that works for me.
I agree with this too. I've never tried Derbys, but the first double edge blades I tried were American made Personna blades. And at first I hated those blades. But as I gained experience and my technique developed I revisited those same American Personna blades, and they're now one of my favorite blades to use in my old Superspeed Blacktip razor. So that advice about later revisiting what didn't work for you as a newbie is good advice. It likely wasn't the blade, but your undeveloped technique. Happy shaving!

Welcome to the Madhouse bleddy! :biggrin1:

Change derbys every 2 shaves? Thoughts?
I haven't tried a Derby yet. I do have one in my "for trialling" tin (if I ever get to it). The first blade that I really liked out of my trialling line up became my "go to" or "benchmark" blade. I haven't used many others since.

There's no point saying which my "benchmark" blade is because everyone's beard, skin, and face shape are different. So what one guy finds "fabulous" another may well "hate."

So, before [MENTION=79907]BSAGuy[/MENTION] gets here... this is what you've opened up:
View attachment 698542 :wink2:

Welcome to the Madhouse bleddy! :biggrin1:

I haven't tried a Derby yet. I do have one in my "for trialling" tin (if I ever get to it). The first blade that I really liked out of my trialling line up became my "go to" or "benchmark" blade. I haven't used many others since.

There's no point saying which my "benchmark" blade is because everyone's beard, skin, and face shape are different. So what one guy finds "fabulous" another may well "hate."

So, before [MENTION=79907]BSAGuy[/MENTION] gets here... this is what you've opened up:
View attachment 698542 :wink2:

Heh heh

Top Bottom