What's new

Cleaning a NEW long comb

Hello all,

I have a Gillette NEW long comb that I acquired here in a PIF some time back and it really is a nice razor. However, it is clearly worn or more accurately tarnished. I would appreciate suggestions on ways to get it cleaner/newer looking aside from the obvious replating. What are some products that won't harmfully strip it?

Please and Thank you!

Most razors clean up well with a soak in something like Dawn dishwashing liquid and warm water. Follow this by non-chlorine Scrubbing Bubbles spray. An old toothbrush used with these will take away most of the crud. You can polish the brass with a good metal polish, but this will probably remove any plating that is still on the razor. Its up to you as to how far you want to go. The B&B wiki http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Safety_razor_maintenance has lots of good tips on cleaning and maintenance. Good luck!

Hello all,

I have a Gillette NEW long comb that I acquired here in a PIF some time back and it really is a nice razor. However, it is clearly worn or more accurately tarnished. I would appreciate suggestions on ways to get it cleaner/newer looking aside from the obvious replating. What are some products that won't harmfully strip it?

Please and Thank you!

A picture would help. Is it plated or just brass?

Pics or at least some more info would be helpful. If it's gold and you want to keep the gold, very gently washing with dish soap is all the more I would do. If it's gold and most of the gold is already gone, polish away and it will be shiny bare brass before you know it. If it's nickle You should be able to polish it with about any metal polish. I use Mothers, I know a lot of others use Flitz or Simichrome.

I have one that was just raw copper and brass, tarnished to an even brown patina with some green spots. That cleaned up with a toothbrush and some silver polish. I then sealed it with some clear enamel to keep the copper from turning everything green. Which worked okay but some day I'll strip the enamel and buff it to a shine with the dremel tool.

Be careful if there are parts that are gold plated... attempts to polish one of those razors will ruin what's left of the finish. The gold plating was covered in laquer.

I have one that was just raw copper and brass, tarnished to an even brown patina with some green spots. That cleaned up with a toothbrush and some silver polish. I then sealed it with some clear enamel to keep the copper from turning everything green. Which worked okay but some day I'll strip the enamel and buff it to a shine with the dremel tool.

Be careful if there are parts that are gold plated... attempts to polish one of those razors will ruin what's left of the finish. The gold plating was covered in laquer.

Those copper parts are actually red brass, use this, it's fast!

$miracle-cloth-all-purpose-polishing-cloth-12-new-5e2523d62783fdd54a8f1f6234637f4f.jpg

Did this to my Techs in just a couple of minutes.

$100_1965.jpg

$100_1966.jpg

$100_2035.jpg

Those look great, TobyC! How long do they roll along like that as a daily shaver without any plating or anything, before you have to polish again? Do they bleed any stains onto other stuff that they've been set on?

I've too have had good luck using a soft tooth brush with first Scrubbing Bubbles and then a very hot soak in Dawn (30 minutes or longer for TTO) and another scrubbing. I then use a buffing cloth (from Razor Emporium) which polishes up most razors very nicely.

Those look great, TobyC! How long do they roll along like that as a daily shaver without any plating or anything, before you have to polish again? Do they bleed any stains onto other stuff that they've been set on?

There is something in the cleaning cloth that helps slow the oxidation, I have OLD types that I cleaned a year ago and they're just starting to dull. I'm not going to polish them again, I like a smooth clean brown, which is actually protective. I've never had anything stained from my razors

FYI don't use that cleaning cloth on original Gillette gold or silver plate unless you do it gently and sparingly. If you have some remaining plate that you want to remove, it will do that nicely. :thumbup1:

A 30 minutes soak in moderately hot water with dish soap and some gentle scrubbing with an old soft toothbrush is all I would do with a vintage gold plated Gillette. The gold plating is very thin.

Top Bottom