What's new

So I was "That Guy" today at work

Better to be that guy than to be the guy with spung tines. I usually carry my parker jotter ball point pen to lend out in case someone asks to borrow a pen. Never really understood how people don't take their own pens to classes or trainings its like trying to fix something without tools

+1. Definitely!

I let 3 strangers use my vanishing point at work today...they all did fine. The last to use it, a woman, couldn't quite figure out how to use it. She said, " can you tell I usually don't use pens like these" she would have done well with an oblique nib.

The Vanishing Point survived just fine.

Usually I keep an extra pen with me for these situations, but if I forget to bring one, I just share.

FWIW, I do keep a pretty close eye on how they are using it....If some one was to start to mash on it I would say something, but I haven't had a problem yet.

I don't loan out my pens or my knives and I don't care if they like it or not!
Too many broken and stolen of both to let it happen again!

Just say, Sure, if you know how to use a fountain pen.... Most folks would balk at this and say, nevermind.

I had this exact experience yesterday with my son's Cub Scout den leader. I needed him to sign some of my son's achievements and I offered to show him how to use my FC Essential. He was pretty confused, and even more so when it turns out it was out of ink! I went to offer him my TWSBI, but he nervously said he had a "pen more [his] size" in his truck. :lol: First time in my life I intimidated someone!

You can buy a dozen feather pens for less than a buck each on amazon. Have those to hand out and people quit asking to borrow pens, or if they do, they make sure they give them right back.

Doyoumeanthesepens???
$Featherpens.jpg

Beating a dead horse perhaps, but then, dead horses don't kick you.

Of course, lend your pens or not as you choose. Some easygoing people might let a stranger use a Montblanc or Nakaya. A real "bring your own damn pen" fanatic may not hand over a disposable Bic ballpoint. I don't lend my fountain pens to strangers who just need something to write with. Period. But I will lend a ballpoint, if it's convenient.

But if you choose not to lend your pens, there's no point in getting into explanations. In a situation where somebody just needs to jot something down, they're not going to listen while you explain how much you paid for the pen, or that it has flexible vintage gold nib which could easily be sprung. It's none of their business how much you paid, and they don't care about the technical details. All they care about is that you won't hand over a pen.

Just say, Sure, if you know how to use a fountain pen.... Most folks would balk at this and say, nevermind.
This!

BTW, I've seen some beautiful writing on this forum with fountain pens. My chicken scratch wouldn't look any better if I used one. Ball point is all I need. But, I still feel you did the right thing!

I once made the mistake and lend my fountain pen to someone I didn´t know. When I got home, I wanted to refill the converter and when I opened the cap, I saw that the nib looked like an U. Gladly I had a spare nib at home. Since then I always carry some cheap ballpoints with me to lend them to people.

I only lend fountain pens to people I know that they know how to use a fountain pen without damaging it.

I once made the mistake and lend my fountain pen to someone I didn´t know. When I got home, I wanted to refill the converter and when I opened the cap, I saw that the nib looked like an U. Gladly I had a spare nib at home. Since then I always carry some cheap ballpoints with me to lend them to people.

I only lend fountain pens to people I know that they know how to use a fountain pen without damaging it.
Ouch! What pen was it?

I never lend my pen out period. Especially at work-where others have received a check and can pay for a pen. In fact, it is now a running joke that i don't lend my pen out.

marty

Uncle Sam buys all the pens the people in that room would want, and even some nicer pens. That said I was, and am not willing to take the chance with a stranger to either have my pen mangled or not returned.

I let one of our engineers try out my pen at my desk (where I have plenty of loaners).

Heck I have dropped a nice roller ball and had to put in a refill as the old pen tip was hosed (skipped real bad after being dropped).

I was with you on the "No.". Your follow up comment made you look pretty bad, I'm afraid.
+1
Much that I understand where the original poster D Gray, is coming from, for most people a pen is a pen and so it would not be a big deal to ask to borrow a person's pen. For some of us (myself included), the choice of pen (i.e. fountain pen) it IS a big deal as it's valued a bit more than the average biro.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In my experience, the people most likely to be offended are the same ones most likely to not care about protecting your pen from damage or making it right with you if ... when ... they damage your pen.

I guess that part of being a fountain pen guy is always being equipped with a loaner and a palatable one-liner about why you won't hand over your good pen.

In my experience, the people most likely to be offended are the same ones most likely to not care about protecting your pen from damage or making it right with you if ... when ... they damage your pen.

I guess that part of being a fountain pen guy is always being equipped with a loaner and a palatable one-liner about why you won't hand over your good pen.

With what I pay for most of my pens, even the least expensive of the bunch there is absolutely no way I will loan one out. I consider them more like jewelry and would never ask someone to borrow a piece of their jewelry, or any other personal type item.

As far as being equipped with a loner, no way, that's not my problem.

Better to be that guy than to be the guy with spung tines. I usually carry my parker jotter ball point pen to lend out in case someone asks to borrow a pen. Never really understood how people don't take their own pens to classes or trainings its like trying to fix something without tools
I was just having this conversation about people who don't bring something to write with/on to trainings, meetings and the like. They are adults and know they will need one. On the other hand what reception desk requires sign in and doesn't have a pen attached to the sign in book?

Exactly this - at the desk I keep a ballpoint for those that come by just in case... but in meetings, most will pass on the fountain pen.

Yup, this is my usual response, provided the person isn't a total stranger, and provided I'm right there with them to show them the proper way to hold the pen and correct any improper use before it happens. I also hold onto the cap, just in case they decide to walk off with the pen! :ohmy:

Top Bottom