What's new

A bit of a Tabac letdown

Finally tried the famed Tabac. Sprung for the stick version in the twist-top container.

Tabac's reputation for having a HUGE scent that make some weep from joy and others run for the window filled me with anticipation. When I removed the top, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of scent. It just smelled a bit "soapy-cigary" but not nowhere near enough to be smelled a few feet away.

The other Tabac soap formats (the puck and refill stick) come sealed in foil, perhaps this is what seals in the scent. Has anyone here tried all formats and confirm/deny this?

The performance was incredible though. It is absolutely the best and slickest soap I've ever tried (Williams, Wilkinson-Sword, all colors of Proraso creams and tubs, Palmolive, Nivea, Cella, LatoJa, Speick).

I used Tabac tonight. My wife commented how she could smell the shaving cream outside the bathroom. It is definitely a somewhat strong scent, but by no means overpowering. I personally like the scent, but everyone is different.

Edit: by the way, I am using Tabac out of the ceramic container, in case it makes a difference.

Last edited:
I have the puck and it has a huge amount of scent so I say the puck smells a LOT more then the stick having never tried the stick

I bought a tube of Tabac cream a couple of weeks ago. I used it twice. The scent was not to my liking at all, although it wasn't overwhelmingly strong. I am going to PIF it at some point

I have the ceramic bowl of TABAC that I use and I too don't find the scent very strong IMO or overbearing. It is a wonderful performer for me and SWMBO absolutely loves the smell. That lead to me buying the cologne and aftershave

I find the sent of the puck to be moderately strong. It isn't overwhelming or room filling. I kind of like the scent, and I'm a fan of the performance.

If woman complain about Tabac soap or stick that either smell strong or smell like an old ladies handbag, well I would tell her so what because it reminds me of my childhood and my past. Ask yourself this question if you're over the age of 45 and be honest, when was the last time you remember your childhood when you smell Tabac what was the first thing come to your mind.

If you love Tabac keep used it until you're wife or girlfriend fully understand why Tabac is very important to you not her.

Last edited:
I've used the cream, refill, and puckinjar. They all seemed plenty strong, but not so much as to defy the laws of physics, they aren't permeating walls or anything. I think it's a reputation based on the note of the scent more so than the range.
Finally tried the famed Tabac. Sprung for the stick version in the twist-top container.

Tabac's reputation for having a HUGE scent that make some weep from joy and others run for the window filled me with anticipation. When I removed the top, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of scent. It just smelled a bit "soapy-cigary" but not nowhere near enough to be smelled a few feet away.

The other Tabac soap formats (the puck and refill stick) come sealed in foil, perhaps this is what seals in the scent. Has anyone here tried all formats and confirm/deny this?

The performance was incredible though. It is absolutely the best and slickest soap I've ever tried (Williams, Wilkinson-Sword, all colors of Proraso creams and tubs, Palmolive, Nivea, Cella, LatoJa, Speick).

I've only tried the puck in the ceramic bowl version. I really like the scent and find it strong but not overpowering. What is fantastic about it IMHO is its performance. It is simply a wonderful shaving soap.

I have it also in the ceramic bowl. I dont find it very strong smelling. And most the time i think it smells like soap. So does the wife. It makes great lather. Cant knock it for that. I was looking for a stronger scent and was disapointed but its great lather making soap so ill use it up. Plus it has a nice bowl. A bit small but nice.

I'm one of those who definitely do not like the scent of Tabac. Purchases some, opened the lid, put the lid back on and left the room. It's scent is so offensive to me that I couldn't use it.

For those that like it, good for you and enjoy

I have the stick, and the scent was both strong and not particularly to my liking. That said, it has grown on me, and due to its great performance I find myself using it periodically. When I first bought it, I left it standing open for a while to allow the scent to dissipate, so I'm guessing your stick may have stood around for a while before you bought it.

Tabac is one great soap. I like the scent, but I'm moderate on it. The performance is top tier. I love MdC, Nuavia, etc. but none perform any better than Tabac. Its my go to soap after I had a less than stellar shave the day before. It always let's me shave without additional damage. Sorry, this thread was about the scent of the stick, not performance, I just get carried away with this soap. For me, the scent is moderately strong in both the puck and stick, although the scent of the stick for me dissipates faster because i leave it exposed to the air all the time.

I think If you use it regularly, not only you get used to scent, but scent itself becomes weaker. So, if you like the scent and want to keep it on, try to always cover the puck or stick after use. Tabac bowl is nice for it. And me personally like the bowl itself as well. Unfortunately I've dropped and broken my first one, but ordered new, he-he.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I like scent and perfomance of Tabac
Whenever use it I think to my self I'm using the #1 soap that I have. If Tabac was the only soap that was available, that would be fine with me. I purchased a hard puck about a year ago and turned it into a croap. I really like the smell of Tabac. It reminds me of those sweet old ladies who always wanted to give you a piece of candy.

Performance is awesome. I agree with SWMBO, smells like Oil of Olay (hence, old lady purse). I don't get a hint of anything else. Not good, not bad, simply is what it is. I'll have to get some AS and see how it smells.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
When the gold foil comes off a brand new refill puck, the scent's noticeable in another room ... it tones down to normal in a day or two.

AA

Top Bottom