What's new

Antler & Walnut

I was contacted by a friend, last week, asking what shaving brushes I had available, as he wanted one to give to a friend as a birthday gift. When I informed him that the last one had been sold, three days earlier, he was not a happy bunny.

I had not been making for a while, but did have handle materials, but would be limited to knot choice. On the basis that I would make a brush for him, using whatever was to hand, it was workshop time!

The recipient to be, is a shooting man, so there needed to be a bit of a theme in the brush construction.

This is what went out Special Delivery, today.

Specs, as follows.

Handle Red Deer antler, with Purdey walnut base, and mosaic pin, set in buffalo horn. Finished with Renaissance Wax.
Knot 2 band Finest badger. 24mm Fan, set at 50mm.

The mosaic pin is in buffalo horn because I only had a short piece of pin left. I always install the pin through the base, and into the antler, to give some strength to the join. My solution was to turn a piece of buffalo horn down, and set the mosaic pin in it. The horn was then cut to 25mm.

I am pleased with the result. It sits nicely in the hand, and the knot will work well with soap or cream.

Steve.

That's some of the nicest work I've seen in this forum. Great job on both of those, and something any wetshaver would be proud to own.

Top Bottom