What's new

Esterbrook Fountain Pens

I'm considering buying an Esterbrook fountain pen off of eBay, but for those in the know, why are they so inexpensive? Are they instruments of lesser quality than Parkers or Watermans?

They're great pens and well worth having as "users" in your collection. The patterns and nib options are practically endless. They're so inexpensive b/c they were very common in their day (used in many offices, schools, and by countless students) and tons of them were produced. Do not equate inexpensive with lack of quality in this case. That said, don't pay a lot for one either b/c they are very common.

What they said. If you can, get one with a nib from the 9xxx series rather than the 1xxx or 2xxx, as they're iridium tipped rather than plain steel. The nibs just screw out and are easily changed, but if you have a choice, get the nib you want.

You probably want to avoid Esterbrook's cartridge fountain pens, as those cartridges have been out of production longer than some members here have been alive, and nothing else really fits. Besides, the nibs are the same, and the lever-fill pens have the cool marbled celluloid, which to me looks much nicer than the solid colored plastic of the later pens.

If there are flea markets in your area, check there, too. I saw a couple of Esties at a flea market today for $10 each that I might have grabbed if they weren't a bit gnawed on (like I need more!). Also, unless the one you buy has been resacced, you're probably going to have to put a new ink sac in it (size 16). It's not uncommon for fifty- or sixty-year-old Esties to still have pliable original sacs, but if you're planning to use it, you probably don't want to tempt fate and risk ruining a shirt that might have cost more than the pen.

With Parkers and Sheaffers fetching the prices they do, I think the Esterbrook is a "sleeper". Nice, very usable pens. +1 on having the ink sac replaced

I've got two Esties (an SJ and a J). They're both wonderful writers that always start. FWIW, I bought both from sellers on fountainpennetwork.

Wayne

I've used them for 15 years, they're the Super Speeds of my collection..Very nice little writers..

Top Bottom