What's new

Why do Merkur blades feel rough?

Well, here are shots of a Feather DE blade, brandy new as well...

200x and 500x

Still looks a bit rougher than I expected in comparrision.

As another comparrison, here is the edge of an old Wade & Butcher wedge straight razor I honed, at 200x

Interested photos, I'm surprised by how pitted the Merkur blades look. Out of interest what finishing stone do you use on the Wade & Butcher, I'm guessing a blade straight off a Norton wouldn't look so smooth?

most interesting post i have read in a long time; no friggin wonder they irritate my face

i would love to see a derby magnified.

cool pics!

How about some 'after' shots of the feather once youve shaved with it a few times and are ready to throw it out, so we can check out what kind of damage is done :)

Wow this is cool. This really gives useful objective data. What are you using to take these photographs, plus what can we do to get more? We could really compile some useful experimentation data if alot of people pitched in.

I'd also be interested in a before an after shot. Even better, I'd love to see a series of pictures on the blade when new, first shave, second shave, etc up until the blade needs to be replaced. Not to gain any real knowledge, but I'd just be really curious to see it.

Do you have one of those cool USB microscopes like Alton Brown has?

This is fantastic, but it doesn't mean much with a sample size of one. I know a statistically exhaustive set of images is impractical, but it'd be an amazing resource to have a few photos of two or three different blades from each of the major brands.

Extremely interesting. What sort of microscope was this?

Top Bottom