What's new

Looking for 1943 tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad was born in 1943 sept. And id love to get him his birth date razor. I understand it was the time of WWII and this might be something im just not going to find. Was thinking a Contract tech might be as close as im going to get. Anyone else have an idea on finding this razor? What is the best way to identify this razor? Were they made with a couple different handle designs or just one? Any help I can get in this search would be great. I just dont want to be taken on an eBay listing sense it is hard to tell this year of razor.
There is one on the bay now listed as 1943 but its hard to say its really that year and he wants a lot for it. Its a tech! It shouldnt cost an arm and leg.

Help.

No date codes on any Gillette razors during the period. But blades for 1943 would have a "N" date code.
proxy.php

43 is going to be very hard to prove (no date code) You'll probably have to settle for 38-45 look for the triangle slots. You may be able to narrow it down with a case, but still hard to know whether it is original to the case.

I actually have one that was my Grandfather's it is a Ball End Handle and both the handle and base plate are made of steel. I think it is probably from 43, because that is the year they made the steel penny. Hard to tell if they are steel from a pic though and I'm not sure how many were made, or if it really is from 43.

Yep. Steel penney. That is a good thought. I figure im going to have to settle with as close as i can get. It looks like the fat handle was made around that time too? Do you agree with this?
Looking at mr razors pics. Or a black tech could get me close. And one without serial numbers i think. Right?
Anyone else have info for me to help get as close as i can on this? Or if im wrong on this please let me know.

Well the Ranger Tech is a very attractive set and can be found reasonably now and then.
It would be made in '41 but is a great razor. And if this is to use and not display only, easy to load.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Well the Ranger Tech is a very attractive set and can be found reasonably now and then.
It would be made in '41 but is a great razor. And if this is to use and not display only, easy to load.

That's a great choice and a good idea to get around settling for a Tech.

Look for a nice one since it's your old man, don't get in a rush and buy the first one you see.

Something like this...

proxy.php

Start searching for a "1932" tech, Canadian I think, if that matters. These were patented in 1932, but generally thought to be early 1940s. Since people misunderstand the patent date, they are often sold as 1932 razors. I think these have the triangle slots too.
Canadian "Pat'd 1932" Techs came in both triangle-slot and oval-slot versions. I have both and the oval-slot is my favorite Tech.

Great info. Thanks guys. Ill start to look around and see what i can see. His birthday was last week so this will be for next year plus i would like to hand it to him and that means i have to take vacation anf travel to CA. So next year.
I had told him i was using a DE now days and really enjoy it. Told him he should give it a try. He uses an electric. He said that he had tried DE but it tore him up. Said that the injector style was what he used as a Marine. But after he got out went to the electric as soon as he could. Even if he never uses this i think ot would be a nice gift. Maybe i should figure out whrn his dads birthday was too.

Was '45 the last year for the triangle slots?
That's what the Wiki says anyway, 38-45 for the triangle 46-50 for the no date code oval slots. I believe the etched logo also appeared in 46, at least all three of the NDC oval ones I found at least have had at least remnants of it. Also I think it is when they started plating in nickle underneath the gold.

That's what the Wiki says anyway, 38-45 for the triangle 46-50 for the no date code oval slots. I believe the etched logo also appeared in 46, at least all three of the NDC oval ones I found at least have had at least remnants of it. Also I think it is when they started plating in nickle underneath the gold.

Thank you my friend! Someone should make a new wiki page for the Tech, that one is looking kinda sad.

. Writing this all down. Need to find one. Cant be that hard i would hope. Just finding one in great shape for the old man might be a problem. Thanks for all the info and help. If anyone else has a comment im still listening thats for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom