What's new

Do you like or hate Derby's?

Do you like or hate Derby's?

It is the wrong question for me. Neither way. I consider Derbys OK blades. They are definitely usable daily blades, since they are not very sharp. They do pull when shaving two-day stubble, but no problem for every day shaves.
I use them once in a while. Same with Wilkinson (German), only they are better blades than Derby.

When I first used Derbys, coming from Feather and Gillette, I disliked them a lot but later learned to appreciate them.

I love Derby blades. I shave with them more than any other blade. My other bulk purchases were Astra and Gillette Silver Blues. I am good with these blades for the next 30 years, as many as I have bought in bulk.

I hate Derby Extra.......last time I've used the Derby Extra they left my face feeling hot, red, puffy, sweaty and unbelievably itchy.......
proxy.php

I haven't tried the new Derby Premium blade yet, I've got some just haven't got around to it.

Last edited:
Last night was the 2nd use of the third Derby Extra Super Stainless blade I've ever tried. I used the first two from a sampler pack relatively early in my DE shaving re-boot, and figured that with my improved technique I'd give them another chance.

Both times I ended up with a couple of weepers, which normally I rarely get now. I used a Pre-War Tech the first night, and a RazoRock OLD Type the second night. Neither are particularly aggressive razors. I'll be tossing the Derby tonight and trying a Wilkinson Sword again (also after having, but after that I'm probably going back to my Astra SP and GSB shootout.

Short answer - :thumbdown

Puffy, hot, and itchy sounds like an allergic reaction to a coating. Not the first time I've heard of someone reacting to a blade that way either.

Not that it matters, I'd still not use one if my face lit up after!

Peter

I've only had success with derby blades in my old type Gillettes, and they don't seem to last long for me. So I'm in the strongly dislike crowd. They're cheap, which is a big plus, and I can get a good shave from them, but my other blades last 2-3x as long without tugging or requiring a six pass shave with serious buffing. So the economy doesn't really add up when my face comes into the equation.

The fact that I have not used a Derby blade in over three years most likely means that I did not like it the last time I used it. Perhaps I should try it again one of these days.

I get decent results with Derby Extra. I'm not sure I'd say I like them, but they are usable. I haven't tried one in awhile and a few of you mentioning they have gotten worse recently has me curious.
I'm sure they can't be as bad as the GrafCo "TBFH"...
It's interesting that many seem to have some sort of a reaction to them though - I'm sure that's not pleasant!

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Derby Blades? I shaved with them and got a small cut. I blamed it on a Derby and used it no more.

I keep giving these things to my friend​ JJ.

I neither like nor dislike Derby Extra blades.

That being said, I can get one good(but NOT great) shave from a NEW Derby blade if I use either my FATIP PICCOLO or my PAA SYMMETRY razor. In either razor I bin the blade after one shave, as the blade is too dull to use again. Every other razor that I own, and have tried a Derby blade in, I was just wasting my time using the Derby.

I hope that this helps.

A great day begins with a great shave. Have a great shave.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I've heard Derbys favor a "mild" razor as opposed to an aggressive one. YMMV, as always. I have a tuck, I just fear having a disappointing shave.

The result of using a Derby was fine, very close with no irritation. Not particularly comfortable though, but that may be technique rather than the blade.

I'll get some more someday and try again, but I've got enough brands to try it will be something like four years before I get back to the beginning of the list at the current rate of usage.

Peter

Probably went through a couple hundred derbies when I picked up the DE. This because they were much better than the store branded personnas I could get locally. I haven't used them for years as I found better blades for my beard but I don't hate them. Biggest issue I have with derbies is that I get random occurrences of itchy, puffy skin on my neck that has never happened with any other blade. Guess there's something in the blade coating that kicks an allergy into gear or some other reaction.

This is definitely a "YMMV" thing. I've been through a couple of 100-blade sleeves, and I'm in the "like" camp. For me, shave #1 on a new Derby Extra tends to be a little uncomfortable, but shaves #2, #3, and #4 are quite good. I call that, "The Derby Effect." For me it's worth getting past that first shave to get to shaves 2, 3, and 4. Maybe hand stropping would solve the shave #1 problem, but that's more effort than I'm willing to invest in a disposable blade.

I suspect that some in the "dislike" camp are simply not willing to go on to shave #2 after a bad shave #1.

I've also noticed that about 1 Derby in 40 is a dud.

There are better blades out there, but I don't consider Derby to be a bad blade.

Saltchuck,

If you are an experienced DE shaver overall, which it sounds like you are, then please consider rating the Derby Extra in the current poll that ends soon:

[thread]509862[/thread]

Thanks!

IMHO They have a place. I shaved with them for 5 weeks or so when I started DE shaving. I found them to work just fine in my EJ DE89. Did I ever get a BBS with them, no. Did I ever need a septic pencil, 1 time and that was when I had the brilliant idea to go nose to ear on my XTG and found out the mole on my face has an edge to it on that side. Other than that I found them to be a good learner blade. Are there better blades yes, are there worse blades, yes. Of course YMMV.

When I started, I got some Derby with 5 other types of blades. I tried most of them and the Derby came in last. I haven't used them since.

Top Bottom