What's new

First time shaver. What was your first straight razor?

Have been browsing the forums picking up a lot of information for some very helpful users and wanted to join in on the fun. Maybe give some info one day myself to someone in my situation.

To start off I am just getting my feet wet with real straight razor shaving and haven't put in as much money as I would like to. I have transferred over from a shavette to a very cheap razor purchased online. I didn't want to put in a lot of money into something I wasn't sure about and purchased a kit for around $80. I have to say even with a "most likely" sub par blade (I don't have enough knowledge to say for sure) I have never enjoyed shaving as much as I do now. This is coming from a person who prior to my shavette would never shave to the skin and would only use electrics to trim my beard to avoid razor burn and discomfort.

So to the real reason of the post... I am curious what was everyone else's first straight razor when they started? Also a little advice for someone looking to upgrade to the next level of blade would definitely be appreciated.

Welcome, and thanks for joining us!

My first "real" straight razor was a Boker Silver Steel that I picked up from a B&B member (now a friend) on the Buy-Sell-Trade sub-forum. I still enjoy shaving with the razor.

Legion

Staff member
The first I bought was a Case Red Imp.

I didn't learn to shave with that one though. I learned with a Sheffield razor (The name of which I forget) that had a 5/8 blade, round toe, and came shave ready.

That was maybe six years ago?

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
43 years ago I bought a new 5/8 Robert Klass. I shaved with it some then put straights aside until about 8 years ago due to school, work, and life.

Cheers, Steve

My first SR was a nice Heinrich Böker 5/8" (mid-1930s vintage) that had a VERY sharp spike point. After considerable blood-letting—needless to say—I learned to 'respect' the tip early on. Great razor...
proxy.php

Beautiful piece of equipment. Wish I could get past my germaphobe habits and go vintage.
Well, take heart in knowing that most well-restored razors have been properly cleaned, sanitized and newly honed (exposing NEW steel edge) are as germ-free as a new razor.

My first was a C.A. Johnson vintage from whipped dog. It's a 5/8ish and square point almost. From honing the edge has rounded a bit at the point. It has a slight smile as well, although that never bothered me.

Oh and as far as upgrading your blade, it depends on what your budget looks like. Vintage razors can be cheaper and work great. I really like my Dovo Carpe Diem, but the scales are rather large. It took some getting used to. The round point is nice, because I shave mostly in the morning and sometimes being a little sleepy still I nick myself with my other blades. I know you can get some Ralph Aust razors under $100 new which people seem to like. I don't own one, so I can't give you a review. I think your Boker, Dovo, Thiers Isaard razors are probably going to put you out $120 and up. Just make sure you like the razor before you buy it. I think that after a few shaves at the beginning they all really work the same assuming they are properly honed. Once you get your technique down and start expanding your collection you will start to find what you like. Staying around 5/8 or 6/8 is highly recommended it seems at first.

Top Bottom