What's new

First SERIOUS cut with my straight- a cautionary tale

This morning I was looking forward to shaving with my current project razor a Lee Mfg. Co. German marked 5/8 quarter hollow blade. I did not do well making my lather today so tried to push through the shave rather than spend the time creating a proper lather (it's just me I was impatient).

The shave was going really well actually until I was doing detail work under my nose- I flipped the blade upside down to get the last bit of stubble in the right nostril area (I do this all the time) but THIS time I slipped and gashed I MEAN GASHED the skin between the nostrils. I have been shaving with a straight for a few months and have gotten pretty decent at it only having the occasional irritation or nick (cut my earlobe pretty good once) but this cut WOULD NOT stop bleeding. Sink looked like a murder scene from a movie.

Reached for the styptic pencil- didn't even slow it down. Big drips of blood still emanating from the cut. I had read somewhere that black pepper was good to use so this was my chance to find out. Caked the black pepper on the cut and applied direct pressure and got it to stop. While I was doing this my wife came home and she was pretty horrified (she was not too keen on me switching to straight razor shaving) she had an "I told you so" look LOL.

The cautionary tale part: just when you think you are starting to figure it out and relax a little- that's when mistakes can happen. This one ALMOST sent me for some stitches on my Labor Day off...

I will be getting some super glue for the shaving kit just in case this happens again. Crisis averted and a story to tell. Those of you just starting out- be careful!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm sure that most of us have a "got too comfortable and paid the price" anecdote. Funny enough, my two worst cuts have been from a Merkur 42c and a Gillette Flair Tip Super Speed! :lol: I have had one decently nasty cut with a straight, and I've made sure not to repeat the same mistake twice. Good to hear that you got everything under control, though.

Black pepper to stop a cut?!? I've never heard of that before. I'm eager (in a manner of speaking) to try that sometime. Did it burn at all or irritate your nose?

I'm sure that most of us have a "got too comfortable and paid the price" anecdote. Funny enough, my two worst cuts have been from a Merkur 42c and a Gillette Flair Tip Super Speed! :lol: I have had one decently nasty cut with a straight, and I've made sure not to repeat the same mistake twice. Good to hear that you got everything under control, though.

Black pepper to stop a cut?!? I've never heard of that before. I'm eager (in a manner of speaking) to try that sometime. Did it burn at all or irritate your nose?

Apparently it's a Chef's trick I think I came across the idea when I was researching how bad I would cut myself when I started straight razor shaving (prophetic no?) yes it did burn but I put up with it I was desperate

Holy crap I how you are ok. I never relax. Hell in dragging a knife across my face. Waiting for my injury.

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver

Ouch, sorry for the mishap. Monsel's solution is the best flow stopper I've found. I'm also sorry how I know this . . . .

Sorry to hear you had that experience. It is a very difficult spot to shave with a SR and part of the reason I have sported a stach for the last 30 years. Yes, a SR will show you who is boss immediately if you get too cocky when using it.

Bob

Is it appropriate to say "pix or it didn't happen?" on this thread?

Just kidding--I've had a couple of close calls with my straight, but never to the point I put black pepper on it. I'm glad you're OK!

I had one like that on my ear lobe a few days ago. I finished a "nose to ear pass" on my right cheek, lifted the blade an nicked my right ear lobe with the point. I bled like a stuck pig, to quote an old saying. It healed really fast though with no permanent damage. Gotta look out with a straight. Glad you're ok.

Is it appropriate to say "pix or it didn't happen?" on this thread?

Just kidding--I've had a couple of close calls with my straight, but never to the point I put black pepper on it. I'm glad you're OK!

Well....I actually did take a picture of the cut...but probably best for everyone I don't post it LOL

It seems to be a rite of passage to shed some blood while learning to use a SR...and yes, it always happens when we least expect it. I have given myself a couple of good gashes since I started...never a pleasant experience. You survived to tell the tale, that's the most important part. Pepper eh? Hmmmm...not sure that would work for me...it makes me sneeze.

As someone who is waiting somewhat nervously for his first straight to arrive, this is NOT what I wanted to hear! Glad you're OK though, that's the important thing.

I had one in the same place. I got the razor close, THEN pulled my lip down to stretch the skin. Found out that order was backwards. :blush:

Right where the nose meets the face. Didn't hurt until I applied the styptic, then it felt like a hornet sting.

As someone who is waiting somewhat nervously for his first straight to arrive, this is NOT what I wanted to hear! Glad you're OK though, that's the important thing.

Other than the one incident I just posted, I have actually drawn more blood from weepers with a DE than I ever have with a straight at all. They really aren't that bad as long as you pay attention. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom