What's new

Revisor Razors Experience

Well, Joe Edson was booked for custom work till next year, so I took that money and spread it around to Brian Brown, Portland Razor Co, some guy in Russia with zero feedback on Ebay (fingers crossed) and my new friends at Revisor.

Just like the OP I had to email them for an invoice request, as their site has no shopping cart feature. I also asked to use PayPal, their site didn't have that info either and received a reply next business day. The invoice reflected everything I wanted, deducted the EU VAT (-19%), shipping and PayPal payment info as well as a small surcharge for using PP. The only minor inconvenience was the fact that I had to use an online currency converter for USD to Euro.

Oh, I selected one of their 8/8 full hollows with horn scales. This will be Revisor #3 and my first 8/8. I thought their price was very reasonable and I hope their horn scales are nice. So far it has been a very positive experience, now the wait begins, lol.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 99
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 99
Well, Joe Edson was booked for custom work till next year, so I took that money and spread it around to Brian Brown, Portland Razor Co, some guy in Russia with zero feedback on Ebay (fingers crossed) and my new friends at Revisor.

Just like the OP I had to email them for an invoice request, as their site has no shopping cart feature. I also asked to use PayPal, their site didn't have that info either and received a reply next business day. The invoice reflected everything I wanted, deducted the EU VAT (-19%), shipping and PayPal payment info as well as a small surcharge for using PP. The only minor inconvenience was the fact that I had to use an online currency converter for USD to Euro.

Oh, I selected one of their 8/8 full hollows with horn scales. This will be Revisor #3 and my first 8/8. I thought their price was very reasonable and I hope their horn scales are nice. So far it has been a very positive experience, now the wait begins, lol.

I have this exact razor and scales, with a different etching. The blade is awesome and the scales are quite nice. I re-pinned mine as soon as it arrived as they use the pre-made (nail like) pins that can only be piened on one side and are difficult to tighten. Mine were loose when I got the razor. After a quick and easy re-pin, I honed her up and it's now one of my favorite razors. Hope you enjoy yours.

I have this exact razor and scales, with a different etching. The blade is awesome and the scales are quite nice. I re-pinned mine as soon as it arrived as they use the pre-made (nail like) pins that can only be piened on one side and are difficult to tighten. Mine were loose when I got the razor. After a quick and easy re-pin, I honed her up and it's now one of my favorite razors. Hope you enjoy yours.

Oh super, thanks for letting me know! Great, looking razor too!

For quite a while i'm wondering about these 8/8 revisor revisors. Most people seem to like these big blades
What makes these big blades so liked by many?
Actually sent a mail to them yesterday.
I'm guessing al three have the same grind. Are they full or 1/2 hollow alpster?
How about the scales? Are they to be bought seperately? Where did u get ur new pins?

I think all the Revisor 8/8 blades are full hollow at least mine is. I chose the etching with the bridge because I already had a 6/8 with their standard logo. Turns out the bridge is the Mungsten, tallest railroad bridge in Germany, according to wiki. I simply wanted an 8/8 razor that was full hollow for my collection.

There were two or three scale choices with part numbers listed on the blade selection page. The price of the blade includes the scales (going off memory) you just tell them which part number you desire. I chose horn and it is fine, not as good a quality as Ralf Aust, but finished better than the horn on my two Wackers. The blade centers, but the tang squeezes into the scales to seat the blade, I guess because the tang isn't tapered very much.

The blade had a bevel set, but was in no way shave ready. I reset mine on a Shapton glass 4k and took it though my stone progression finishing on a Jnat.

I will say the cuts for the jimps on the tang are not as deep as I would like, but thats a personal thing. Overall its a very good razor at the price point and shaves well.

Thats one big *** blade bad-b. How terrible was the factory edge? And how well were the scales peened?
I hope to get an invoice monday. Still contemplating whitch scales to get. light or dark horn.
To bad it probably wont fit my custom made razor box.

For quite a while i'm wondering about these 8/8 revisor revisors. Most people seem to like these big blades
What makes these big blades so liked by many?
Actually sent a mail to them yesterday.
I'm guessing al three have the same grind. Are they full or 1/2 hollow alpster?
How about the scales? Are they to be bought seperately? Where did u get ur new pins?

I like the big blades because I feel I can control the shave angle better than with a narrow blade.
They will have a similar grind. I don't consider mine a "full hollow" because I have blades that are ground thinner.
The scales are listed separately so it's clear that you can choose the scales you want. They will come attached to the blade you choose.
I cut and pein the pins from 1/16" brass bar stock and use #0 washers. I don't like the "nail pins" because you can only effectively pein them on one side, which causes the blade to not center in the scales.

Thats one big *** blade bad-b. How terrible was the factory edge? And how well were the scales peened?
I hope to get an invoice monday. Still contemplating whitch scales to get. light or dark horn.
To bad it probably wont fit my custom made razor box.

Hi Velvet,

I inspected the factory edge with a loop and knew it wasn't something I would shave off. As I hone without tape and didn't know how they set the bevel, I reset it and did my own honing. I would suggest sending the razor out to have it professionally honed if you don't feel comfortable with your honing skills.

I cant speak for the quality of the pins. I have my razor work done by B&B member Doc226 aka Alfredo. I can say my razor arrived with the blade tight and centering. As I mentioned before the blade seats by the scales squeezing the side of the razors tang just before the pivot area. Closing the razor is different than any other razor I own...it closes like any normal razor to a point, then you press a little more, the scales flex out around the tang then the blade finishes seating and is snugly held in place. I had to ask Alfredo if this was normal and he said you find that on blades without a tapered tang. In the pictures I attach you will see the toe of the razor isn't near the toe of the scales, that because its being held in place by the tang area.

I hope that helps.

Attachments

• $IMG_8021.jpg
    $IMG_8021.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 90
  • $IMG_8023.jpg
    $IMG_8023.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 88
  • $IMG_8024.jpg
    $IMG_8024.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 88
I have no problems dealing with Revisor, when I told them I wanted to buy a razor and was in the US they invoiced me the USD amount I needed to pay thru PP to a Revisor email address and within about 10 days I had razor in hand and it was very well made with pins tight and centered properly, scales were polished very well but the edge like Brians was lacking and since it had a worked spine I put one layer of super 88 tape on and went to work and within about 15 mins the edge was done to my likeing off one of my JNATS and still has a great edge.

Looks like a replacement for my 6/8 Hart might be in Solingen from Revisor...thanks for the thread. Their offerings on the website seem quite extensive and prices are actually very very reasonable...once I press play on the Tax machine....have a fairly nice return coming....first buy the Mrs. a nice dress...then a new blade?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Closing the razor is different than any other razor I own...it closes like any normal razor to a point, then you press a little more, the scales flex out around the tang then the blade finishes seating and is snugly held in place.

If I understand you correctly, that is the correct way to set up a razor's scales. It points to care and craftsmanship.

Just bumped a contact inquiry to Revisor...in English...."Revisor" translates to something like "inspector" or "examiner" if anyone is interested...

Website mentioned something about a medical leave of absence...in by best rough German asked if things are o.k. and if they are accepting orders, also the blade I would like to purchase....will see how this goes?

As I understood it.. Revisor were temporarily closed due to a medical problem only until the end of January. I have had quite a lot of contact with them in English, a very nice lady called Sabine has always returned my messages and answered any queries I had. I have since bought a couple of NOS razors, a lovely Crown and Sword and a Shultze wedge.

Spam Filter caught the replies from Sabine! My German worked perfectly, and I even understand her reply in German aside from the follow up in English. Will be taking delivery on a 6/8 soon if all goes well.

Great stuff hope you enjoy them, I really have to hide my credit card from myself when I'm near their website..(NOS Puma, Friodur.........drool)

My new simple 6/8 round tip from Revisor arrived today! Woo hoo! I picked the #6-0026, pasting in their sale sample image...there, attached. Realized less bling on the blade = lower cost for same shaving edge. Also scales are unadorned. Want to shave with it...not stare at it.....wife already getting worried as the "collection" has grown a bit. Once I confirm full hollow on 6/8 with Revisor feels good....will consider to part on the Hart quarter hollow 6/8..that blade just don't feel right on my skin....yep few threads somewhere else I was encouraged to hang on to it until I get better at wet shaving on a straight....maybe one more turn on it for good measure? Until then, Böker 5/8, Revisor 6/8, and a vintage Feather Professional 25 are in my rotation of manly shaving implements. Joy through steel :)

Attachments

• 6-0026.jpg
    6-0026.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 37
Update on the Revisor and my rotation.

Revisor was sent out to Jnatcat (a.k.a William) for some work on the edge which was shaveable out of the box on receipt, but not smooth. It came back and is nearly as smooth and sharp as my Feather shavette. Nice work William!

Boker went back to SRD for a re-hone. It is back to sharp as the first time it was received.....but not as clean and smooth as the Revisor.

So, the Feather is the easy first choice - have not had too much trouble at all. It shaves just like a real SR, but little extra sharp...little more trouble only in rinsing away stubble and soap. Next is the Revisor, and then the Boker.....and then I have a birthday in couple of weeks....

Ciao, ciao - Mario

Mario,

Not sure a straight would shave as smoothly and as keen as a shavette but glad you like the Revisor edge, they do make a nice razor for not a lot of coin, I have one and even though the gold and laser etchings are fading the shave is very smooth.

Mario,

Not sure a straight would shave as smoothly and as keen as a shavette but glad you like the Revisor edge, they do make a nice razor for not a lot of coin, I have one and even though the gold and laser etchings are fading the shave is very smooth.

That's the only thing I have to say against my Revisor; the very beautiful gold inlays and etching soon, too soon began to fade. It shouldn't be a big deal, it's still a very good razor. Then again to me it unfortunately does matter. I guess that makes me a bit shallow. It doesn't get its fair share of my shaves.

Top Bottom