What's new

Executive shaving Claymore review

Just had my first shave with the Claymore, now I have been shaving with my Edwin Jagger for over 6 years, partnered with personna blades it has always given me a good shave, but I decided it was time for a change so I opted for the Claymore.

Out of the box I thought blimey it's got a bit of heft to it! it's got an industrial feel.
I used the pro blades as prescribed and everything else was what I normally use.

I automatically put it to the face at the same angle as my EJ, but that didn't work, but a slight adjustment got it gliding smoothly and it was so easy going down from the sideburns, because of the wide head it covered so much of my face with ease, it actually gave me a false sense of security, and when I got to the neck...nick..ouch, this needs a bit more respect on the sensitive areas, I'll have to do a few more shaves before I'm proficient around the neck area.
One area I was really impressed with was under the nose, I often have problems trying to get this area smooth, but the Claymore was good with short strokes leaving this area smooth.

I am sure once I have had 5-10 shaves my self and my face will get used to the Claymore and I will certainly enjoy trying to master it!

Just ordered one yesterday and got my tracking info from Brian a few minutes ago. Hopefully it will reach me in a reasonable time as it needs to get to the USA. Been hearing a lot of good impressions and reviews of the razor and considering that it cost me $100 including overseas shipping, that made it about $80 less than the ATT and $130 less than the Asylum RX which has been delayed again. Of course, right after ordering the Claymore, Ikon Razors says the El Jefe is in final production before release.

Let us know how things go after those 5-10 shaves.

Just received mine today. It is MASSIVE! It will never be confused with a Schick Injector. Since I am caught up with SEptember, I will have to hold off shaving with this beast until Feather Friday, but at least now I got a razor to represent Feather Friday. And because I don't want fordfather's wrath, here are the pics:

$claymore1.jpg$claymore2.jpg

Okay, couldn't wait for Feather Friday and so the Claymore swapped with my favorite Weck Surgical Prep safety razor which was slated for Weck Wednesday. Yes, I concur with zeeco in that it is a massive razor. I keep joking that the Rocnel razor looks like a sledge hammer with a blade on one end, but this one comes close. Finish is a little rough on the inside, but things fit well and the outside is finished well. I had trouble loading a Dorco blade and thought it was a defect until I used a Feather Pro and it fit perfectly.

First shave was more of a learning experience. although the top cap is rounded and not chiseled like the Mongoose, it was still domed rather high and so limited the angles a bit. Because of the weight of the razor, I went with no pressure and light touch and let the razor do the shaving. My first pass had a lot of audio feedback and so I adjusted to a shallower angle and it went a little smoother. When done with my first pass, I was amazed because it was so close that all I needed was touch up. I did a full second pass instead to see if I would get skin irritation. the second pass went well and it was an overall good shave. I know that it will get better with time and I look forward to getting to know the Claymore better.

I am believing that a shallower angle on the head like the ATT or El Jefe would probably work better. In fact, the Weck Surgical Prep has a head so shallow that it is there only to hold the blade, and that works out real well to get a close shave.

Any further reviews Claymore users? I was looking at EXECUTIVE SHAVING website last night and I noticed they are producing another batch of CLAYMORE RAZORS that is production now with improvements. They have decided to go for a machine tooled version which will guarantee the tolerances needed for blade alignment and blade gap and the finish of the razor. Brian emailed me this morning an stated razor should be available in mid-late December.

If you have a CLAYMORE and enjoy or dislike this razor post a comment pleas . I'm considering a purchase would love to hear user reviews

Top Bottom