What's new

Ever have a blade not fit your DE?

I have a Ranger Tech Milord which I was going to shave with today. However, my Voskhod blade wouldn't sit completely into the razor. This is the first time I have seen this. The Voskhod blade was cut just barely wrong enough so that it wouldn't properly fit around the center bar. It is not a big deal, just a little weird that the blade wouldn't slide down the center bar.

$IMAG0481[1].jpg$IMAG0482[1].jpg$IMAG0483[1].jpg

I had that problem not that long ago with one of the Chinese blades I was given. I ended up using a Aristocrat that didn't have the notches.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nope, and I use several of those early un-notched center bar Gillettes.

I have a Ranger Tech Milord which I was going to shave with today. However, my Voskhod blade wouldn't sit completely into the razor. This is the first time I have seen this. The Voskhod blade was cut just barely wrong enough so that it wouldn't properly fit around the center bar. It is not a big deal, just a little weird that the blade wouldn't slide down the center bar.

View attachment 684400View attachment 684401View attachment 684402

Bad razor, get an OLD!

I have an Aristocrat with the same style of center bar. That same blade fits perfectly and allows the TTO doors to close. Just a quirk of manufacturing I guess.

Also I have shaved with that blade 15 times in other razors.

Based on my measurements with the inside measuring faces of an absolute origin digital caliper, the center cutout width varies from 2.13 mm to 2.25 mm across different used blades that I measured. To make sure that any blade fits, the center bar needs to have a width that allows for the smallest cutout width. The tradeoff with shrinking the center bar width is that the blade play increases which increases the chances for blade alignment issues. Maybe this tradeoff was considered when the Ranger Tech Milord was designed.

Mass produced razor, mass produced blades, sooner or later someone's maximum tolerance is gonna meet someone else's minimum tolerances.

This problem is perhaps part of the reason why the center bar on Gillette TTOs was redesigned removing the tabs on the ends. The straight, notched bar makes seating the blade much more simple.

I do agree with what [MENTION=89729]TobyC[/MENTION] said above. The center opening on this blade seems to be about 0.01mm (or so) shorter than it needs to be. These are the joys of mass production.

I am a Quality Assurance engineer by profession, so technological failures are interesting to me.

This problem is perhaps part of the reason why the center bar on Gillette TTOs was redesigned removing the tabs on the ends. The straight, notched bar makes seating the blade much more simple.

I didn't see that before, but I see what you are saying. It does look like the tabs at the ends are tight. I thought that the problem was that the center bar was too thick, but maybe the end tabs are the problem.

I've had the same problems with my ranger tech, other blades no problems.

Thanks for the confirmation. It is good to know that that this is reproducible on other Ranger Techs. I have also used other blades in this razor and this is the first time that I have seen this.

Over in the Blades forum there is a discussion of measuring DE blades (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...igital-Caliper-and-Homemade-Cardstock-Fixture) started by [MENTION=111161]ShavingByTheNumbers[/MENTION]. It sounds like this thread may have interested him enough to start gathering measurements on the blade cutouts. Even if that doesn't happen, it is an interesting read.

Top Bottom