What's new

Rank the True Reasons Why You are into Wet Shaving (Be Honest)

1. Cost. Hey, don't laugh: I haven't bought a new razor in almost a year, and a new brush in weeks.
2. Feel. I prefer the shaves over cartridges.
3. My wife likes the results. She doesn't comment when I save with SE or DE razors, but she can tell when I use a cartridge.

I just started wet shaving. Used just rush through chore of shaving in shower.

1. No longer get irritation and ingrown hairs like i did with disposable
2. It's kind of like a meditation period everyday. Really relaxing.
3. All the creams and aftershaves is almost like a face massage
4. The smell
5. Nostalgia
6. Shave is much closer and easier to frame my sideburns and moustache-less goatee
7. I look forward to shaving instead of dreading it
8. All the equipment looks really cool and clean

Last edited:
I like to explore a "gentleman" (Probably not the best word to use, but my head kind of not working now) type of hobby.

I am into Shoes(Shoes Shining), Watches(Mechanical Watches) and Fountain Pens. I believe I start Wet Shaving right after I fell in love with watches.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread...very interesting. I just read all the posts and I can say that I agree with just about everyone. For me the biggest reason is the nostalgia. I can remember my Dad shaving with his Gillette Executive (I still have it), his brush and Old Spice mug, soap and AS. I really enjoy collecting and shaving with vintage razors. Of the 50+ razors I own, only 3 are moderns. I enjoy shaving with a piece of history...especially 100 year old straight razors that are as sharp and shiny as the day they were used way back when. I enjoy the wonderful variety of soaps and shaving products. I don't worry about saving money...life is short and the pleasure derived from my collection of gear is worth every penny. I enjoy being active in the online wet shaving community (thanks B&B)...it's like being in a super cool elite club with 50,000 other members. It is my little escape from the world. And of course nothing can make my day better than an awesome shave in the morning.

I have a similar list as the OP, with some edits:

3. RITUAL/MEDITATION: I'm a night owl. It’s awesome quiet, alone time. Last night as I was getting ready for my shower/shave before bed, I started by laying out the terrycloth bath mat between the tub and the sink. It reminded me of seeing Muslims laying out prayer rugs.

3B. The smells (arguably the strongest of sense memories) are an added bit of multimedia in the ritual. So is the sting of the Alum stick.

2. NOSTALGIA: I’m just into nostalgic things. I used to collect tube radios. I attempt to play Surf/Spaghetti Western/Space music on a Jaguar guitar. We live in an old house increasingly loaded with vintage or timeless lamps and lighting fixtures. I started baking bread again. I'm a Marshal-at-Large for Rapier Combat in the Society for Creative Anachronism.

4. REBELLION: Stick it to the man, yeah! I'm tired of built-in obsolescence, like not being able to buy a replacement foil for my Braun electric razor, or printer ink cartridges that cost more than the printers, if you can still find them.
My Gillette Slim is as good as it ever was in 1966, and the consumables for it are 100% compatible with the brand-new Fendrihan "Scientist" that I got a few weeks ago.
Shouldn't we start an "Occupy Face" movement? (I should put that in my sig file.)

5. DISTRACTION/HOBBY: The Mrs. already knows that guys are going to spend money on some frivolous distraction whether she likes it or not. My wife says it's cheaper than and preferable to drinking or gambling. (Although, it does cut into my guitar-buying budget.) As it is, I'm pretty much set for the big-ticket items like brushes and razor, now I can look for soaps, creams, and aftershaves. Which is not to say I won't still be looking for hardware at flea markets and antique shops if should just happen to pass through one.

5B. Being a member of a secret cabal. Who knew there was a world-wide wet-shaving culture that crosses borders, cultures, genders, and ages?

1. SKIN. Nah. At my age, my skin has pretty much settled down.

About buying stuff:
"Men will pay double-price for stuff they need right now.
Women will buy stuff they don't need now, if it's half-price"

my beard started to irritate my face the i had past 25 years because i hated shaving the mach 3 at the time just to pain full. And there was no way i would even put a razor with 5 or more blades near my face 3 blades was bad enough.
say the pawn stars commercial for the micro touch razor. looked it up online found out about wet shaving and de razors.
So past 3 months i actually enjoy yo shave now.

The disposable razor manufacturers. The price to result ratio was simply not worth it. So WS became an option.
1. Savings
2. Hobby
3. An event to look forward to.
4. The challenge for the BBS.

Skin, savings, and ritual. My foremost concern was always the skin. So I was never going to be the guy trying to stretch a cartridge or use cheap foam. I'd say I'm saving $ once I get done trying soap samples. As for rituals, I've always had grooming rituals I enjoy. knowing I could spend a little more time and have better results was enough to sell me on any tips that added to the ritual :) so it's full circle back to SKIN.

1. It gives me a connection to our collective past as real men
2. It is really cool to do
3. I truly enjoy cleaning, restoring, and shaving with vintage pieces of metal
4. The history really is remarkable
5. It saves me a bunch of money!!!!!(That's a lie....)

It started with my wife buying me an AOS kit for Christmas back in 2011. I loved the results even with using a Gillette Fusion razor. I eventually moved on to DE's and SE's and even Artist Club straights. What I love about it now is not only the better results I get but the sense of satisfaction I get from a good shave. It does require skill and there is a learning curve but I put the time in and I can see the results. But above all I find it very relaxing.

So this might seem a little out there, but the thread said to be honest so i will... Wet shaving to me, makes me feel alive. The smells that surround the room, the feeling of a sharp blade running across my throat, knowing that if you aren't aware of what you are doing, could result in a bad time... At the end of the shave when you wash your face off, look in the mirror to see and feel what you've accomplished... That, to me is the reason i got into it, after the first shave with a SE and then switching back and forth to a DE, Developing the skill, he patience, the feel for such a art, is just so real to me.

Top Bottom