What's new

Rank the True Reasons Why You are into Wet Shaving (Be Honest)

It's an affectation. I get a perfectly smooth, close and irritation free shave using a Mach 3 and Edge gel. But I enjoy using a brush and soap and relearning a safety razor. But it's an affectation like wearing a bow tie or a fedora.

2. NOSTALGIA: It started with a memory about my grandfather, and I started digging into how he shaved. Through Google-foo here I am. I love old things. My grandfathers motorcycle jacket, old firearms, old gear. Stuff I can still use today.

4. REBELLION: I stopped wet shaving with cartridges years ago due to the horrible cost. I'll admit I get much better shaves now with a DE razor than I ever did with cartridges.

3. RITUAL/MEDITATION: I only have to get up 15 min. early in the morning to start my day. I find a relaxing way to start it.

5. DISTRACTION/HOBBY: It's cheaper than buying guns. lol My wife doesn't seem to mind it.

1. SKIN: Electric or Cartridges didn't seem to do too much to my skin, and wasn't the reason why I switched. Although I have noticed an improvement in my shaves and skin condition.

started as a kid with a Gillette slim adjustable. Went thru electric, 2 blade carts, rotating blade, with old spice brush and bowl, then Norelco for about 25 years. fell into Harrys for 6 months, expanded to brush, bowl, scuttles, soaps, 4 different DE razors, 5 AS, just loving the variety. I guess it's just my new hobby. clearly, not saving any money!

there's always a plan B

1: Hobby/Pleasure. I'm going to shave anyway...its already part of my day, I might as well make it a fun part of my day.

2: Skin, though I'm not at the point where I have gained that benefit yet. I can tell its coming, and I'll be happy for it.

3: Rebellion. Even though I'll spend more to shave than I would with cartridges, its because I want to and not because I have to.

Not doing this to save money. If I was, I've already failed.

1. Blades are cheaper than cartridges.

2. A piece of metal is more satisfying than a piece of plastic.

3. I get to buy mundane things from exotic places.

Skin: Carts and single blade disposables give me lots of ingrown hairs and razor burn. Even with the proper prep of a brush, good shaving cream or soap, and stretching. SE and DE shaving greatly minimized that. I have no problems with ingrown hairs or razor burn when I shave with a SR.

I like old things that last: Carts seem wasteful and most of the modern ones are made from ugly plastic. All of my razors are enjoyable to look at. I like owning pieces of history that are functional and still work.

Sound: The sound of stropping, the way a brush sounds building lather, the enjoyable sounds of my hair being cut by the razor. It is a wonderful sensory experience.

Cost: I used to spend close to $100/yr on carts. Just the blades. More on the canned gels, because my skin never got along with canned foam. In my first year of wet shaving I spent under $25 for a Gem Jr., 4 sticks of Arko, a simple brush, and some SE blades. I've spent more recently on things, but if all I ever shaved with was Arko and the brushes I own now I'd be happy. When I had a beard, it was longer and I used to spend a decent amount getting it trimmed every other month.

Hobby / Community: B&B is a great place! I enjoy being a member here. I like updating my shaving journal. I'm into some of the other hobbies, like tea and fragrances. I'm going to get into honing, and likely fountain pens as well.

A combination of necessity and ignorance I suppose. I couldn't buy the cartridges to fit my Wilkinson Sword twin cartridge razor any more (I didn't know about Ebay then) so I needed a replacement. I bought the Gillette Mach 3 (against my natural inclination because Gillette's in-your-face style of advertising had always got up my nose) but didn't like it. So then I went to the internet and started doing some research and I got sucked in by people like Nick Shaves on Youtube. Also I really like the look of the DE razors and the brushes and soaps and creams so I developed RAD even though I still can't use the things properly.

The dumb thing is that I stumbled across one lonely Gillette Sensor Excel razor in a Chemist shop quite a bit later on bought it and to be honest it is the best razor I've ever had in terms of the ease of use and results I get from it. If I had found it first I never would have gone down the DE garden path.

I started with my Grandpa's razor, so nostalgia got me started. But when I saw and felt how good my skin looked, and how close my shaves were, I never looked back.

All that, and well....cost.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
[FONT=&amp]Chango:
Like many members here...besides '[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The Zen of Shaving' points...my 'true' reasons are;[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
1. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]My dearly departed Father taught me.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
2. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Quality of Shaves (less ingrown hairs, better skin, ect...).
3. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] ‘Raging against the Cartridge Machine’.
4. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Pleasure / Hobby / Ritual (I gladly blame B & B for this anomaly). [/FONT][FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
[/FONT]

5. Cost.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] [FONT=&amp]
attachment.php
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"[For] many people, [shaving] is not [simply a] voyage of discovery, but a ritual of reassurance". Philip Andrew Adams[/FONT]

1.Because first shaving equipment that I bought was brush and cream (and was in 21st), when I asked my father what to buy he said brush and cream (he didn't know that canned cream and gel exist because he shaved only in army)
2. Since I've been using this products from my very first shave I've learned how to make a good lather
3. I make lather faster with face lathering than using canned goo
4. It's far superior shave with good tool- no matter cartridge, disposable or DE

I began shaving in 1958 and my dad insisted on an electric shaver because he thought my beard would train itself to it. It did not and I turned to a Gillette an a can of Rise. I have tried many different systems between then and now, and I went back to wet shaving about 4-5 years ago. My reasons why are:

Skin: the only way I feel really clean is to use a blade & lather.

Nostalgia: I was always, fascinated as a child, watching my father lather up with a brush & mug, and then go over his face with a Gillette de or a Schick injector.

Hobby: I love different safety razors of all types, brushes, creams & soaps, and trying to find a canned foam which will duplicate brush lather. It's fun hobby, and less expensive than shooting trap; believe me.

Best regards,

Ron I

I used to use an electric because it was the only thing which wouldn't destroy my face, it was quick and I could take it anywhere and didn't need any prep. The reason I got into wet shaving was simply because I always wanted to shave with a straight....it is on all levels Bad ***! So I started with a safety razor, things went increadibly well minus the learning curve but I stuck with is and here I am now, thanks to all of you enablers, a straight wielding, wet shaving addicted soldier. I don't always have time for a straight but whether DE or SR ita my time with my thoughts and I enjoy every second of it.

Top Bottom